Groceries

Old Sep 14th 2015, 8:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by caretaker
...a duck ($10.50 not on sale)...
And there I was happy to get them for $14.

Originally Posted by not2old
You said $4 for 12 oz (340g) [was that frozen when bought or did you stick it in the frezzer for use later] thats per pound $5.33 on the basis zero shrinkage from water or the additives in cooking it. Of course you wouldn't know what the shrinkage is on that veggie pack after its cooked
That was the first pack I bought. The single one.

The 4-pack was $10 ($9.99) All you do is heat it (so no shrinkage) and then, if a taco, use the entire contents in your tacos. Nothing left in the pan.

And it's very lean as virtually no fat.

That note on the pack about it being equal to a lb of real meat is that your lb of meat goes in the pan and you don't put the fat in the taco. So out of your 1lb ground beef ($4.89lb is not unusual for extra lean) there is about 12oz that goes in the taco.

So $4.89 for no fat ground beef v $2.50 for no fat veggie ground.

Maybe my maths suck on this one
Not really. Just no waste with the Yves product and some difference, apparently, between your ground beef price and mine.

I never pay it but the typical price for extra lean around these parts is getting on for $5 and I'd say the Yves stuff is equivalent to ex lean.
About $3.49 lb for lean when on sale is more what I pay.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 8:55 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And there I was happy to get one....
There was one for $15 + but I wanted the smaller, cheaper one.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My Sobeys receipt today shows normal price for the items bought would be $198.

I paid $113.

So 57%.

Of course I would never have paid $198 for the items I bought for two reasons. Partly because when they do these comparisons they often quote a 'normal' price that is somewhat higher than the real normal price. But mostly because I know virtually everything I bought can be had for much less than the supposedly normal price almost every week of the year just by a five minute detour or being flexible about the day the main shop is done.

But I think that price difference quoted is a new record for me other than when I've specifically just bought one or two products.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:48 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

My Sobeys receipt today shows normal price for the items bought would be $198.

I paid $113.

So 57%.
impressive savings Bristol.

What items in the bill was it that was so expensive [approx] by percentage or dollars?

- Meat

- Produce

- Dry goods

- Canned items

- Cereals

- Staples

- Personal care

- Cleaning, kitchen, Laundry items

- Snack & Junk food

- Misc

Other

- Soft drinks, Booze or wine

- ?
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:22 am
Oscar nominated

impressive savings Bristol.

What items in the bill was it that was so expensive [approx] by percentage or dollars?
Among my groceries were 12 x 2l pepsi (diet) - $15. Savings supposedly $17.28 which makes the "normal" price $2.69. I've never paid more than $2. $1.50-$2.00 is normal to me, but every month somewhere has them for $1. Or even 99c.

I bought a butterball turkey. $14.73, supposedly a saving of $20 something. It was $1.49. Superstore doing the same price.

Every year I've been here I've paid that or less. But it's a once or twice a year purchase. I've certainly seen them for $3 a lb or more.

But they're frozen. Just buy one when the price has bottomed out. It's going to be eaten at the same time of year.

I bought a Cauli for $1.49, normally $3.99. If that's the real normal price, and it is sometimes, I'll buy Broccoli instead.

Beef joint (boneless blade) @ $3.99lb instead of $6.99. This was the cheapest I've seen beef for many months. I bought it with a braised/slow cook in mind but it looks good enough to roast in a style that has succeeded beautifully before.

A couple of jars of VH sauces. 2/$5 saving $2.29 each jar. $4.79 per jar? Never in a million years. At some time every month they're $2.50 or $3 each.

I did, however, buy some full priced cheese. Smoked applewood and Gouda.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:41 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Specials at Frescho starting today

2L bottles coke or Pepsi $0.97. We don't do soft drinks.

Also on offer is a 10 lb bag beets for $1.44. So its cooking & bottling beets tomorrow. Saved jars (no mason jars here) add to the sliced cooked beets some vinegar & sugar. That lot should last about one year.

At No Frills starting tomorrow Eye of round roast $2.97/lb. Won't be buying that since I bought a goat leg for Thanksgiving $2.49/lb

Also at No frills, Clarks 12oz canned beans $0.77 which is not a bad price. Will stock up on those.

One can Clarks with whatever goes three ways - the wife, FIL & me (0.26/unit)

A spud (or one egg) each ($0.16/ unit),

Some veg or salad or other (0.10/unit)

4oz of a meat product (0.50/unit).

The meal will be ~$1.00/person. We shall be stuffed for sure

Cuppa tea to wash it down

Last edited by not2old; Oct 1st 2015 at 11:54 am. Reason: edited
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We spent 122 at Save On yesterday, total savings was $45, we would not have bought most of what we did at normal price.

Mostly processed ready to eat type stuff as the prices were simply too low to pass, 6 pack of hot dogs 99 cents, 3 meals in total per pack, 4 packs, just around 4 dollars, can't be that price.

Frozen burritos and tacos 6 dollars, 10 per pack, 5 meals each.

Ham 2 for 1, 12 dollars for 1 you get 2, a week maybe 10 days of meals with them. (small hams, not huge ones) some bacon, bread, banana's, granola, yogurt, some cheese, tortilla's (make cheap meals with beans and tortillas) some milk.

6 chicken breasts for 6 dollars, can't beat that price. cut in half 6 becomes 12 meals in total.

I can't find the receipt so this list is not in full.

Veggies have gone up considerably and on sale less and less, where processed foods are on sale more and more often.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 12:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Specials at Frescho starting today

2L bottles coke or Pepsi $0.97. We don't do soft drinks.

Also on offer is a 10 lb bag beets for $1.44. So its cooking & bottling beets tomorrow. Saved jars (no mason jars here) add to the sliced cooked beets some vinegar & sugar. That lot should last about one year.

At No Frills starting tomorrow Eye of round roast $2.97/lb. Won't be buying that since I bought a goat leg for Thanksgiving $2.49/lb

Also at No frills, Clarks 12oz canned beans $0.77 which is not a bad price. Will stock up on those.

One can Clarks with whatever goes three ways - the wife, FIL & me (0.26/unit)

A spud (or one egg) each ($0.16/ unit),

Some veg or salad or other (0.10/unit)

4oz of a meat product (0.50/unit).

The meal will be ~$1.00/person. We shall be stuffed for sure

Cuppa tea to wash it down

You could be teaching the food budget portion of Basic Lifeskills at the food bank, (makes me feel like Caligula). I've lived pretty close to the ground and know how important it is, but I know that indulgence and largesse are good occasionally as well. I remember being broke and thinking, "Darn, I should have bought that big pizza when I had the $20".
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

You could be teaching the food budget portion of Basic Lifeskills at the food bank, (makes me feel like Caligula). I've lived pretty close to the ground and know how important it is, but I know that indulgence and largesse are good occasionally as well. I remember being broke and thinking, "Darn, I should have bought that big pizza when I had the $20".
I have been asked on these forums and by others outside about this - about 'what the heck, why on earth are you doing it now, today, what is your purpose'?

Its not that we cannot afford to buy the best cuts of meat or fish, shop anywhere or just pick off the shelf whatever price it is, at wherever, down to the clothes we wear [from the thrift store].

It all goes back to childhood upbringing, post war, rations, blue collar council estate, then arriving in Canada with only a few dollars, doing without, struggling [really tough times] - then everything over time just seemed to get better.

Old habits I guess, make do, try to live frugal - never forgetting the past or our roots.

Something deep inside about 'the fear of having nowt' or losing it all. We have a pantry stored & stacked enough for 6 months if we never bought another food item other than milk, bread, produce.

We keep money in the cookie jar [under the mattress, in a safe, under the floor boards] a dislike or the distrust for the financial institutions or any institution for that matter.

Its bonkers I know almost to the point of being eccentric

I suppose there other folks like me (us) out there

Last edited by not2old; Oct 1st 2015 at 1:29 pm. Reason: edited
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We spent 122 at Save On yesterday, total savings was $45, we would not have bought most of what we did at normal price.

Mostly processed ready to eat type stuff as the prices were simply too low to pass, 6 pack of hot dogs 99 cents, 3 meals in total per pack, 4 packs, just around 4 dollars, can't be that price.

Frozen burritos and tacos 6 dollars, 10 per pack, 5 meals each.

Ham 2 for 1, 12 dollars for 1 you get 2, a week maybe 10 days of meals with them. (small hams, not huge ones) some bacon, bread, banana's, granola, yogurt, some cheese, tortilla's (make cheap meals with beans and tortillas) some milk.

6 chicken breasts for 6 dollars, can't beat that price. cut in half 6 becomes 12 meals in total.

I can't find the receipt so this list is not in full.

Veggies have gone up considerably and on sale less and less, where processed foods are on sale more and more often.
and if you had double the income that you have now, would you change anything?
Old Oct 1st 2015, 2:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I have been asked on these forums and by others outside about this - about 'what the heck, why on earth are you doing it now, today, what is your purpose'?

Its not that we cannot afford to buy the best cuts of meat or fish, shop anywhere or just pick off the shelf whatever price it is, at wherever, down to the clothes we wear [from the thrift store].

It all goes back to childhood upbringing, post war, rations, blue collar council estate, then arriving in Canada with only a few dollars, doing without, struggling [really tough times] - then everything over time just seemed to get better.

Old habits I guess, make do, try to live frugal - never forgetting the past or our roots.

Something deep inside about 'the fear of having nowt' or losing it all. We have a pantry stored & stacked enough for 6 months if we never bought another food item other than milk, bread, produce.

We keep money in the cookie jar [under the mattress, in a safe, under the floor boards] a dislike or the distrust for the financial institutions or any institution for that matter.

I think these are skills and attitudes passed down from our depression-era parents and there is a modern equivaent among the nouveau poor. I like lots of mashed potatoes and sausages and gravy and a few drinks.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Would buy very little frozen foods except for veggies, more organics more fruit, more veggies and whole u processed foods.

We would just eat more healthy. I buy cheap crap food out of necessity if income doubled we would spend more on food by having acess to healthier choices.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 4:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's very commendable that you are living 'lean' but I hope you indulge yourselves from time to time!

You could certainly teach lots of people how to live on a budget, foodwise, have you thought about writing a blog and including some of your hints, tips and recipes? (I'm serious!)

I've got a brilliant book my Dad bought me many years ago called 'Frugal Food' by Delia Smith (1976 version) which has tons of advice and recipes and has come in very handy at times. You can read some of the recipes online via Google Books and also on the website Frugal Food - from Delia Online

Edited to add, if you like making bread this is a recipe my sister has used many times and she swears it's the easiest bread out there and very tasty! http://www.simplysogood.com/2013/03/...ead-bread.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 1st 2015 at 4:54 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 12:24 am
Oscar nominated

...indulgence and largesse are good occasionally as well...
Absolutely. But it's the savings that pay for those indulgences.

Like the Beef Tenderloin, Prime rib or Lamb that costs 4 or 5 times what is normally good enough in our household.

We keep money in the cookie jar [under the mattress, in a safe, under the floor boards]
Can you mark where you live on a map please?

We've always had a valuable asset to fall back on but actual cashflow was a problem in early years and was supported by use of credit card in the event of unexpected expense. Spending less money than you have to is just sensible regardless of how much income you have.

Double income back then or double income now wouldn't change much. All I'm doing now is paying less for an identical product by shopping in 'that store' instead of the other one or buying the same product 'tomorrow' instead of today - because the flyers are telling me it's cheaper tomorrow or the other store.

Give me twice as much money and I have no doubt that I'd be buying Beef Tenderloin more than occasionally instead of Inside/Outside Round. But I'd be buying it "tomorrow" or at "the other store" @ $12 a lb instead of $22 instead.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You could certainly teach lots of people how to live on a budget, foodwise, have you thought about writing a blog and including some of your hints, tips and recipes? (I'm serious!)
Like Jack Monroe (A Girl called Jack) did and is now a success.

The Guardian picked her up so maybe The Mail?
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:17 am
Dichotomus tinker

They're back.

Walmart has them again. Oddly they are priced differently (3-5kg @ $10; 5-7kg @ $15 and over 7kg @ $20 but that's still around a buck a pound at the upper weight.

The shape is more round, whereas the previous one was kind of long, but I hope it turns out as good.
If & when & even if its after Thanksgiving the price gets to $0.88 range, that's when I buy. Last year Walmart had them on for $0.79/lb (in store special or flyer can't remember). I bought two under 10 lb in weight. One is still in the freezer & likely for this Xmas. Now should there be another sweet deal at Walmart or Food Basics (both usually cheapest price), then it'll be another purchase. No waste on a Turkey, everything gets used & leftovers into soup, packaged & frozen.

Butternut squash on special at the ethnic market for $0.59/lb. Crave that, oven baked, pan fried, mashed with or without potatoes, for soups - diced added to a pot of stock, navy beans, carrot, celery, onions with spices of choice. Divide & freeze.

Wife always wants to have a pumpkin out on the step this time of year. She is looking for a deal. On November 1, pumpkin inside the house she hacks it up, pies, soup & bags it into 'frozen for use later'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.