Groceries

Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Here's a money saver worth looking at.

Yves Veggie Cuisine
"Ground Round"

I saw several variations on this at Sobeys - no doubt other stores sell it - burgers, sausage, plain ground, taco mix.

A couple of weeks ago I bought the Taco version. $4. It was very good and very meat like. The obvious difference was lack of fat.

I don't normally go for veggie versions of meat as the best one can usually hope for is "not bad, if you add a bit of meat to it."

But I gave this one a go and the next time I was back in the store I looked at the other packs and noticed the plain version was available in a pack of four lumps. Now they were slightly smaller lumps than the single one I'd previously bought but it was still close to 4 times the quantity as the single pack and only $10.

According to the blurb, each individual pack is the equivalent of 1lb of ground beef. I'm guessing that means that cook through a lb of ground beef, drain off the fat and you're left with the same weight as Yves' ground round.

So that's effectively 1lb of very lean 'ground' for $2.50 which is a bargain.

I repeat, it was really very good with the right flavouring to enhance/disguise it. Not sure how a burger would turn out - they were more expensive anyway - but if you don't mind adding chilli, or taco mix or whatever you normally add to ground beef, it would be a healthy and cheap alternative. As I say, the major difference is the lack of fat. It even 'feels' like your normal ground beef when you eat it.

If I'd had one of these tacos and one ground beef version without seeing it prepared, I wouldn't have noticed the difference.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Yves Veggie Cuisine
"Ground Round"

I saw several variations on this at Sobeys - no doubt other stores sell it - burgers, sausage, plain ground, taco mix.

A couple of weeks ago I bought the Taco version. $4. It was very good and very meat like. The obvious difference was lack of fat.

I don't normally go for veggie versions of meat as the best one can usually hope for is "not bad, if you add a bit of meat to it."

But I gave this one a go and the next time I was back in the store I looked at the other packs and noticed the plain version was available in a pack of four lumps. Now they were slightly smaller lumps than the single one I'd previously bought but it was still close to 4 times the quantity as the single pack and only $10.

According to the blurb, each individual pack is the equivalent of 1lb of ground beef. I'm guessing that means that cook through a lb of ground beef, drain off the fat and you're left with the same weight as Yves' ground round.

I repeat, it was really very good with the right flavouring to enhance/disguise it. Not sure how a burger would turn out - they were more expensive anyway - but if you don't mind adding chilli, or taco mix or whatever you normally add to ground beef, it would be a healthy and cheap alternative. As I say, the major difference is the lack of fat. It even 'feels' like your normal ground beef when you eat it.

If I'd had one of these tacos and one ground beef version without seeing it prepared, I wouldn't have noticed the difference.
I've never tried that brand, but I do buy another brand of veggie patties, I think they run about 4 dollars for 6 of them and with mayo and a bun, really quite good.

I'll have to try the brand you mentioned there, it's on sale a lot so might be a good option for tacos and pasta sauces.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Yves Veggie Cuisine
"Ground Round"

each pack is 12 OZ

http://www.yvesveggie.com/products/d...-taco-stuffers
Old Sep 13th 2015, 2:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
The pack didn't look like that but it would be about right I suppose.
Cook up a pound of ground beef, strain off the fat and you probably have 12oz of meat.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 2:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The pack didn't look like that but it would be about right I suppose.
Cook up a pound of ground beef, strain off the fat and you probably have 12oz of meat.
http://hain-celestial.ca/en/OurBrand...gieGroundRound
This is the Canadian version.

Old Sep 13th 2015, 3:21 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Yves Veggie Cuisine
"Ground Round"

We buy that for health reasons! Kids don't even notice.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 3:45 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Thumbnails Groceries-farside-tofudebeest1.jpg  
Old Sep 13th 2015, 3:49 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of meat substitutes. Two boxes of falafels in the fridge that I bought on impulse last week and am not sure what to do with. I usually make them into a falafel pita (with veggies and humous) but want to do something different (especially as I have no pita). Any good tips on how to consume falafels?
Old Sep 13th 2015, 4:07 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
Tofudebeest.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 9:37 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Speaking of meat substitutes. Two boxes of falafels in the fridge that I bought on impulse last week and am not sure what to do with. I usually make them into a falafel pita (with veggies and humous) but want to do something different (especially as I have no pita). Any good tips on how to consume falafels?
With salad, hummus. Salsa maybe?
with beans and chips?
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:50 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
seriously, I would'nt bother but to throw them in the trash along with the Yves Veggie Cuisine "Ground Round"
Old Sep 13th 2015, 11:57 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
seriously, I would'nt bother but to throw them in the trash along with the Yves Veggie Cuisine "Ground Round"
Why?
Old Sep 13th 2015, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Why?
Probably assumes if it's not meat it has to be gross..... The brand we normally buy for meat substitute I like far better then beef, tastier and healthier lower calorie, no real reason to spend more on meat...

I haven't tried the Ives brand, but looking at the ingredients, I prefer the brand we are using, Gardein is the brand, but I am not sure if they make a ground meat alternative, we just buy patties since I don't use ground meat for tacos, prefer using chicken chunks cut from breast of chicken instead....

Costco here as a really good veggie patty as well, it's not Kirkland, but another brand, can't recall the never, man are they good though, way better then any beef burger.

* I am not vegetarian, just prefer the taste of the veggie based patties over real meat, and I am not generally a fan of veggies in general.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:18 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had time to read the many pages to this thread but has anyone else been using the coupon smartphone apps? The ones I use are Checkout 51, Groupon Snap and Zweet.

They give you a list of coupons each week, if you buy anything on the list you take pics of your receipt, submit and they give you virtual cash. When you get to a certain amount you cash out and get a real life cheque. Its basically so they can see the kinds of things people are buying each week and replaces the old store loyalty cards.

As long as you aren't suckered into buying stuff specially from the list just cause its on there and just use it for the stuff you usually get it can soon add up. They often have basic stuff on there like milk, fruit, veg, as well as some common branded stuff. Tried it for about 6 months now and just got some cashback checks totalling almost $200.

May not be everyone's cup of tea but every little helps as they say.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 12:46 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
With salad, hummus. Salsa maybe?
with beans and chips?
I threw them into some spiced couscous and topped with sautéed sweet peppers. Not bad. But might need to buy some pita after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.