Groceries

Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by not2old
ketchup, mayo & relish = a great taste. Vary the amounts of each in the mixture for a different concoction

Use on fish, meat even salad

Italian salad dressing (store bought or home made) as a marinade for fish or chicken

In all of the above always store brand or no name brand

Early morning shop at the local grocery store into the produce section where the guys filling the produce shelves opening boxes of produce are cleaning off the outside leaves or sorting produce which they throw into a box on their cart. Ask for discards for your rabbit [of course no rabbit], sort at home & use yourself. Free produce

Same as going to the 'marked down' produce shelf that a cauliflower was found [small black spots on it] for $1.99 which is what I got yesterday at No Frills. At home I cut of the black spot, the rest was good to eat for two/three meals. Similar with potatoes usually when not on special can be found sorted & poly bagged on the marked down cart ~3kg for $0.99

Yes, I still do those things

My favourite is getting the FREE beet top laves which are better tasting than spinach or swiss chard

In the fish section of the local Chinese market a section with lots of bagged fish sections for soup, which sorted is edible for a meal, anything over into the soup pot

Food is the lowest cost of all of our expenses, followed by clothing.

Utilities & property just does my head in

The store here does their stocking before they open, I went once right at opening (not for free stuff) and while waiting for the doors to open, could see the produce people cleaning up and packing the boxes and taking them back.

I have never seen them stock anything during store hours.

The other one, food is never marked down, they donate that sort of discards to the food bank instead, best you can do is get meat $2 off a few days before its date, as the food bank doesn't take meat.

Our biggest is rent, car, food.

Clothing is bought so infrequent, I don't even consider it when budgeting...lol.. Hydro our only utility is dirt cheap, 40/month average in summer, 30/month average in winter.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:44 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Lamb continues to be on the menu

The lamb shanks were magnificent and the boneless legs are back in the Superstore flyer this week (loblaws too?) @ $7.99 lb but we still have a couple of joints left from last time.

I've just been making up a batch of mint (from the garden) sauce ready for Sunday. I've never done that before.
Goat for dinner tonight, from the bought at the local ethnic shop 'Goat shoulder' $2.79/lb this week - three pounds worth with the guy behind the counter cuts up the price into cubs. Cooked in the pressure cooker, added in onions & celery, gravy stock & corn starch to taste & thicken.

Stretched, enough for two people for three meals after taking out the bone.

Yum, served with those low cost potatoes, cauliflower & carrots. Wife wont let me make dumplings saying they are too fattening.

If still hungry, then its dipped bread to mop up, either calabrese or Rye. One 500g loaf last us one week, sometimes we end up giving to the birds cos its moldy & no we don't keep it in the fridge or freezer.

For sarnies, its always on special cuts or end cuts from the deli tray. Usually can get Mortadella for $0.66/100g or Prosciutto ham for $0.99/100g
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Goat for dinner tonight, from the bought at the local ethnic shop 'Goat shoulder' $2.79/lb this week
Sounds good. Used to have a goat curry in the pub near work. Also had goat stifado in a small Greek village on Rhodes. Delicious.

Wife wont let me make dumplings saying they are too fattening.
I wouldn't let you make dumplings as they're 'orrible.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:53 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I've lately been putting together my own charcuterie platters with some nice cheeses from GI market. Doing it yourself makes it pretty reasonable, I can do a real quality one for four people for around $80 thats including bread, olives, pickles and mustard. With a 4L box of claret it makes for a nice break when out fishing or just watching the sunset.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
With a 4L box of claret it makes for a nice break when out fishing or just watching the sunset.
Each one has a litre of wine to drink?

You could probably get away with a lower quality platter if they're drinking that much.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:59 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I've lately been putting together my own charcuterie platters with some nice cheeses from GI market.

Doing it yourself makes it pretty reasonable, I can do a real quality one for four people for around $80 thats including bread, olives, pickles and mustard.

With a 4L box of claret it makes for a nice break when out fishing.
a value meal trade off for the free fish ......
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:02 am
Dichotomus tinker

I wouldn't let you make dumplings as they're 'orrible.
potato dumplings with sauerkraut & polish sausage (or smoked ham on the bone on special $0.99/Ib) & a couple slices dark rye bread... brew of choice

Yum....
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:04 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

a value meal trade off for the free fish ......
As long as there aren't too many boats out, you set the gps and you sit back snacking away while the boat follows a set course. The only thing that could make it more pleasant would be a pod cast of TMS but that's not an option with septics on board.

Last edited by Oink; Jul 19th 2015 at 11:08 am.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:04 am
Oscar nominated

potato dumplings with sauerkraut & polish sausage (or smoked ham on the bone on special $0.99/Ib) & a couple slices dark rye bread... brew of choice

Yum....

Oh well, that's different. Recipe?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:10 am
Dichotomus tinker

Oh well, that's different. Recipe?
post 262, its Canadian ...
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:16 am
Oscar nominated

potato dumplings with sauerkraut & polish sausage (or smoked ham on the bone
Recipe?
post 262, its Canadian ...
I'm afraid I need more than that.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:57 am
Dichotomus tinker

Recipe? potato dumplings

on post 262 I'm afraid I need more than that.
dumplings my way ... cooked mashed potatoes, flour, egg, salt... play around with the amounts per unit (dough style - mix, let sit in a bowl for 30 minutes, in a pot of boiling water, turn the heat down after 5 mins, let cook for approx 10 minutes.

The google recipes don't work for me, I simply throw it together no measurement, its all in the feel.

On post $262, the Canadian comment is 'anything or any food' goes that meets the palate pleasantry.

Fried lettuce tempura style, even oven baked spinach. A pasty could be simple as a cold water pastry. Simple flour, water light olive oil mixed to a dough, covered & wrapped in the fridge one hour. Roll out, fill with water (bubble & squeak or chop suey leftovers)... bake in the oven 375'F for 35 minutes. Add in the mixture to the pastry recipe...fish, beef or pork. If you want straight veggies, then so be it - or maybe a cheese one

Make your own dumpling with a filler, what about egg rolls with your own filler, even Eccles cake with your own filler.Boiled, fried or baked.

No Frills last week 'boneless pork loin' piece $1.50/Ib. What a deal & what one can do with that. Shishkababobs, boneless chops, hammered flat schnitzel, small piece for roast, curry pork, rolladen... endless cooking & substitute with Chicken, beef or fish - even veggie style with egg plant, beet leaves, add in rice what ever is around.

We are not the meat & tatty Brits from way back when - just Canadians now

Food can be delicious & cheap - just need a bit of creative

I couldn't make any of that up because its all Canadian from the 48 years that we've lived in Canada

Last edited by not2old; Jul 19th 2015 at 11:59 am.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 1:41 pm
Oscar nominated

dumplings my way ... cooked mashed potatoes, flour, egg, salt... play around with the amounts per unit (dough style - mix, let sit in a bowl for 30 minutes, in a pot of boiling water, turn the heat down after 5 mins, let cook for approx 10 minutes.
That doesn't go watery?

Where does the sauerkraut & polish sausage come into it?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 12:31 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Our biggest cost is rent, car, food.

Clothing is bought so infrequent, I don't even consider it when budgeting...lol.. Hydro our only utility is dirt cheap, 40/month average in summer, 30/month average in winter.
have you considered moving to some place else to lower your costs?

NB minimum wage $10.30/hr

A two bedroom apartment rental for less than what you pay in BC

example $645/mth

MONCTON, NEWLY RENOVATED 2 Bedroom | 2 bedroom | Moncton | Kijiji

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-2-bedroom-apa...ationFlag=true

Maybe Bristol has a vacancy in one of his places?

Moncton has a wide range of grocery stores, google the flyers

Last edited by not2old; Jul 20th 2015 at 12:33 am.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 2:40 am
Oscar nominated

have you considered moving to some place else to lower your costs?
I think you could say he has

Purely from a financial POV - the bare bones - they could probably lose the disability income, just have their wages, rent somewhere in NB and have more cash left than presently.

If JS doesn't mind me saying, there are a few other complications though, such as proximity to other family and medical issues which make a move to a different province problematic.

And those two places look nice but something nice can be had for a fair bit less too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.