Groceries

Old Oct 23rd 2021, 11:22 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

My No Frills has this on for .97/bottle, and it's a serious secret weapon for spaghetti sauce. It's usually sold out when I look so even though I bought 5, I may go back for more and stock up.

Old Oct 25th 2021, 8:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I will say the prices at the store were a little higher than I had anticipated, haven't done a proper grocery shop since mid summer, and even since then prices up quite a bit, and lots of packages smaller with a price increase, so pay more get less.

Tried to buy as many on sale items as possible, but they were pretty sparse to be honest, but still managed to save $9.12 buy buying in 2's when necessary, which made most sense because deodorant was $3.97 for 1 or 2 for $5 so paying $2.50 each is better value than paying $3.97 for just one.

Eggs have skyrocketed, they were under $3 a year ago, and today dozen ran $3.67 and this is just run of the mill generic cheapo eggs, if your an organic egg buying type, they were over $7 for a dozen.

Most fruit is up quite a lot, so we didn't buy any.

Milk is up the least amount it seems, only 10 cents and that is up 10 cents from 10 days ago, its probably up about 40 cents since last fall.

Didn't buy, but noticed the shredded cheese bag went from 900g to 500g and up in price $2 and the smaller size bags that were 2 for $10 are no longer 2 for anything, they are $5.97 each now.

A lot of the Wal-Mart 2 for $5 and 2 for $10 that they have had for years are gone now.

Raisin bran is down to 725g and up about $1.10.

I didn't buy these, but noticed most of the lean cuisine brand frozen meals, say 33% more vegetables and rice and such, one was 44% more vegetables and rice, which likely means, we took out the equivelant meat and replaced it with rice and vegetables but mostly rice to keep the weight the same.

More frozen pizza's than I normally would buy, but eh at $2.50 each, they will provide 2 meals so only $1.25/meal and I don't think there is much I could make from scratch for that low.

Old Nov 1st 2021, 6:55 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a week since I've had lemons for my afternoon drinking, and only luck no scurvy so far, so thought I'd remedy that.

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 1st 2021 at 7:00 am.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 10:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If the proposed price increase is approved by provinces, looks like early 2022 dairy products will spike in price, so stock up now while is still cheaper even with the current increases this year, we largely stopped buying dairy products, the prices are simply too high already.

"Canadian Dairy Commission, a crown corporation that sets the price that dairy farmers get for their milk, had just put out a statement recommending an increase of 8.4 per cent, to make up for big jumps in the cost of feed, fuel and equipment."

"likely causing the price of milk, yogurt and cheese to “skyrocket” in supermarkets next year."

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...box=1635774555

Old Nov 15th 2021, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Instacart shoppers not happy, the pay is truly idiotically low now for the time spent, gas spent, and they keep adding 3 orders to 1 batch so triple work for less money. Of course IC denies it, but those doing the work literally see it by doing more and earning less.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/gopublic/ins...licy-1.6208197
Old Nov 16th 2021, 12:24 am
Stand-up Philosopher

I was checking the Flashfood app while having coffee, and wondered what sort of reviews it had, so did a little search and was surprised to find out it was launched from an appearance on Dragon's Den. When I found out Arlene Dickinson charged a local women's group big bucks years ago to come give a talk, I was a little miffed; I thought with all her cash she could donate some time, and now I find out every time I buy food on the app, a share is going to her. I'm sure she gives a lot to charity, so I suppose I'm donating indirectly through her. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
https://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/bdc/flashfood
Old Nov 16th 2021, 4:42 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Instacart shoppers not happy, the pay is truly idiotically low now for the time spent, gas spent, and they keep adding 3 orders to 1 batch so triple work for less money. Of course IC denies it, but those doing the work literally see it by doing more and earning less.
Another couple of questions if I may...

I remember you saying that you, the shopper, get to see what an order, including tip, is worth to you. So let's say I allow the default tip to be something like $10.98. But once the shop is done and I think you did a nice job (didn't bother me with photos of empty spaces, followed my second choices, didn't ask if I wanted an alternative when I'd already marked refund if not in stock and so on) and I amend the tip to $15, do you then see this particular order paid $4 more than originally estimated or do you just see that you got a bit more for a batch of three orders but you don't know which one it was or whether it was all three or is it just an extra for the day and you can't even tell which batch?

How likely is the shopper to see that the notes function has been used?
Example - Walmart flyer has all Barilla Pasta in the smaller size as 97c. The Instacart site has half of them @ 97c and the other half @ $2.29 but I also notice that two kinds of Catelli pasta are also 97c while others are $2+.

I really don't mind what I get but if I buy six packs I want the total to be under $6 rather than close to $14. That's $8 down the drain.

So I'll make my order, allow alternatives but add a note (each time) to say "any Catelli or Barilla for 97c please."
In my greeting I always refer to the fact I made alternative choices or refund request and I always mention I made notes too.
But it's obvious with some shoppers that they've not seen my alternative choices let alone the notes.

So if I have added a note, is it always visible or does the shopper have to "do something" to see it and does something appear on the shopper's device alerting them to the fact there's a note?
Old Nov 16th 2021, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

The payment screen look like this. I personally have never seen a unicorn which is what these high tippers are called, and anyone who ever posts one is in the US, I don't think unicorns exist much in Canada.

This is one it looks like when shopping for an item, the comments do appear on the item if you left the comment on the item, if you just put it in the delivery instructions at the very end, then we don't see it until we are checked out and swipe deliver.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Another couple of questions if I may...

I remember you saying that you, the shopper, get to see what an order, including tip, is worth to you. So let's say I allow the default tip to be something like $10.98. But once the shop is done and I think you did a nice job (didn't bother me with photos of empty spaces, followed my second choices, didn't ask if I wanted an alternative when I'd already marked refund if not in stock and so on) and I amend the tip to $15, do you then see this particular order paid $4 more than originally estimated or do you just see that you got a bit more for a batch of three orders but you don't know which one it was or whether it was all three or is it just an extra for the day and you can't even tell which batch?

How likely is the shopper to see that the notes function has been used?
Example - Walmart flyer has all Barilla Pasta in the smaller size as 97c. The Instacart site has half of them @ 97c and the other half @ $2.29 but I also notice that two kinds of Catelli pasta are also 97c while others are $2+.

I really don't mind what I get but if I buy six packs I want the total to be under $6 rather than close to $14. That's $8 down the drain.

So I'll make my order, allow alternatives but add a note (each time) to say "any Catelli or Barilla for 97c please."
In my greeting I always refer to the fact I made alternative choices or refund request and I always mention I made notes too.
But it's obvious with some shoppers that they've not seen my alternative choices let alone the notes.

So if I have added a note, is it always visible or does the shopper have to "do something" to see it and does something appear on the shopper's device alerting them to the fact there's a note?
Old Nov 16th 2021, 1:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

So that looks like the shopper might be aware of a higher tip but only for the batch, not an individual customer. So when I increase the tip the shopper isn't going to know it was me. Maybe tips would be better if the tipper knew the shopper would know.

This is one it looks like when shopping for an item, the comments do appear on the item if you left the comment on the item, if you just put it in the delivery instructions at the very end, then we don't see it until we are checked out and swipe deliver.
So it really is very clear then. Good to know. Thanks J.

Given I make a second choice or refund request for most items and when I don't, I put a note like 'this brand only' or 'this flavour only' there really should be no need for photos of an empty shelf and "do you want an alternative" but it still happens

Just as an aside, it's been about 6 weeks now that it doesn't update as things are added to the cart or approval requested. I have to refresh every few minutes to see if there's a change. It's a PITA and I've emailed about it half a dozen times including a real person but it's made not a bit of difference.

Put a word in for me please.

Old Nov 22nd 2021, 6:28 am
Oscar nominated

3.05pm Made instacart order for tomorrow morning.
Thought about it, wanted to order something as part of tomorrow's breakfast, made the necessary addition and changed delivery to 'next two hours'.
4.05pm order delivered all present and correct.

Old Nov 25th 2021, 8:54 am
Account Closed

Workers the Cargill plant in High River, Alberta (half the workforce got COVID in 2020) hav rejected the companies offer to the union with 98% voting to strike if an agreement is not reached by December 6th, this plant processes approx 35% of Canada's meat supply, so if your like meat, might want to stock up the freezer.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/been-thro...ec-6-1.5680836
Old Nov 26th 2021, 12:28 am
Stand-up Philosopher

I bought this veggie box and picked it up yesterday; 2 cukes, 2 big bunches of celery, 2 onions, broccoli, red pepper, yellow pepper, 2 little green peppers, mint, dill, parsley. I think I did ok, but the broccoli and the herbs are a bit limp. I think I can use the broccoli and some peppers in tonight's curry, but I'm going to have to use celery in everything now if I don't want to throw some out. The only thing I usually put dill in is borscht, but there's always a chance I make borscht. This is all healthy stuff, so I bought a half-price package of sliced ham for balance.

Old Nov 26th 2021, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

When went grocery shopping last week, Wal-Mart had this $7 packs of Black River steaks, I honestly didn't have high expectations due to the relatively low price, anyhow made one tonight for the first time since buying, and holy was it ever a tender, juicy, tasty steak, I imagine if one is more risk taker and will eat steak rare or med-rare it might even be more tender. I have no idea if the entire pack will be the same, but for the price it was quite a surprise.

About 88 cents per steak not a price price really.

I have no idea why they were marked so cheap, I can't imagine that is the normal price, I even doubled checked the shelf label to compare sku and it all matched, and rang up at $7, maybe they had too much.

They have other products from Black River on their website, but not the exact product, but hey good deal for good tender steak.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 26th 2021 at 4:12 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2021, 9:54 am
Oscar nominated

When went grocery shopping last week, Wal-Mart had this $7 packs of Black River steaks,.
Is that the Cattleman's version? That's have the cost of their burger patties

I can definitely recommend Walmart's chocolate yule logs. Much better than the Vachon ones discussed 3 years ago.
Old Nov 28th 2021, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is that the Cattleman's version? That's have the cost of their burger patties

I can definitely recommend Walmart's chocolate yule logs. Much better than the Vachon ones discussed 3 years ago.
Some Wal-Mart branded foods are better than name brand counterparts, The $1 and $2 Swiss chocolate, I really like and find it better than the name brand variety of Swiss chocolate for like double the price.

Wal-Mart store branded things tend to be pretty good overall in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.