Groceries

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Anyone using IC these thinks will make your life easier as a customer and the life of the shopper so much easier:

- Understand the shopper may have 2 or 3 batches to shop at the same time, its not just your order always and you might be 1st or the 3rd, the shopper has no control over what orders get batched into 1.
That would account for periods where nothing seems to happen.
- Please pick your own replacements, IC app will suggest some pretty weird replacements at times if you don't.
That's like IMDB sometimes - like suggesting you might like The Brady Bunch because it contains the same word as in The Wild Bunch.
I've got so used to particular shoppers now, sometimes I just feel I can let them get on with it although I often say "no replacement".
- Try to be around your phone or computer during the time frame your given for your order, it helps so much when we as shoppers can message and ask questions to clarify things.
Absolutely. Having said that the last few shops they don't say anything unless I do.
The downside - my end - is when it's a big order, like my MIL tends to do, I find I am stuck in front of the computer for quite some time...especially when I get the message that they are "shopping" but it's 40 minutes before anything happens.
This is why I have taken to doing a couple of smaller shops instead of a big one. Works out out cheaper, has the advantage of knowing if you miss something you can try again in a couple of days and it's less time being "with" the shopper.
- When ordering fruit/produce that is sold by the pound, use the add instruction option to clarify if you want 2 pounds of apples or just 2 apples, because sometimes customers think they are putting in pounds for produce when they select 1 lets say for apple but on my end that shows as you wanting 1 apple.
I only use the computer - not the available app - and to the customer it's very clear when it's a single item even before you see the price. 57c for apple is very obviously not going to be one pound. Mind you, I put 4 green peppers in the cart last week, the site said 87c each. A day or so later when I came to finalise the order, the pricing structure had changed to some bulk deal and it was more than $200.

But often, the site is unclear, although this is usually store specific - Wholesale Club. Right now, for example, Red peppers are listed as $37.35 each.
Now t hat's very obviously not a single one and it can't be a pound. But what is it? It just doesn't say. Probably a case, but how big is that?

- Use the add instruction on any item really you want to clarify, the more info you give the shopper the less they will have to guess about.
Definitely do that. Walmart crusty loaves are very nice and brilliant value. We'll order 3 whites and 3 wheat ones and I'll add a note to say that 6 total in any combo is good.
What the customer needs to be aware of, though, is the note stays in there for that item and on a future order the note may make no sense. eg the next time you want 2 white breads and 1 wheat version, but the note still says something about 6 in total. The leftover instruction does not automatically display.

Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:35 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Is Worcester / Worcestershire Sauce prevalent in Canadian supermarkets?

Now that we’re less than a month from moving over, these are the kinds of all consuming questions we’re grappling with.

I’m currently working as a temporary manager at Tesco so am wondering whether to use my discount to buy a couple of bottles for the suitcase. There aren’t many UK foods I’m going to miss, but that’s one of them.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82

Now that we’re less than a month from moving over, these are the kinds of all consuming questions we’re grappling with.

I’m currently working as a temporary manager at Tesco so am wondering whether to use my discount to buy a couple of bottles for the suitcase. There aren’t many UK foods I’m going to miss, but that’s one of them.
I can't tell you if its the same in Canada taste wise, but its available here, seen it at Super Store and Wal-Mart, and I would imagine most grocery stores have at least one brand.

Lea & Perrins, French's and store brands seem to be the most common.

This is for BC, but I would imagine other parts of Canada also have it.

I say taste wise as some products with the same names in Canada can differ taste wise between countries.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:42 am

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I can't tell you if its the same in Canada taste wise, but its available here, seen it at Super Store and Wal-Mart, and I would imagine most grocery stores have at least one brand.

Lea & Perrins, French's and store brands seem to be the most common.

This is for BC, but I would imagine other parts of Canada also have it.
Perfect, thanks. From the brands you mentioned, I’d guess it’s the same thing.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

It is readily available here in Canada. Don't worry about that unless you're moving to the middle of nowheresville. Keep in mind that many 'cradle' Canadians will horribly mispronounce Worchestershire.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
It is readily available here in Canada. Don't worry about that unless you're moving to the middle of nowheresville. Keep in mind that many 'cradle' Canadians will horribly mispronounce Worchestershire.
Ha, thanks!
Old Jul 4th 2020, 7:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Buy only Lee and Perrins, have made that mistake in the past in other countries, and all I can say is that the only thing that compared was the name, the actual stuff was unpalatable.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Buy only Lee and Perrins, have made that mistake in the past in other countries, and all I can say is that the only thing that compared was the name, the actual stuff was unpalatable.
Thanks, good to know! A bottle or two will be crossing the Atlantic with us then!
Old Jul 4th 2020, 8:17 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, good to know! A bottle or two will be crossing the Atlantic with us then!
The Lea & Perrins in the store in Canada has made the same trip. According to wiki the UK version is sold in Australia and Canada; the American (made in Pittsburgh) version is sold in the US. I got up and checked, and Made in England. I buy it in the big bottle, and it's time to get more.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker
The Lea & Perrins in the store in Canada has made the same trip. According to wiki the UK version is sold in Australia and Canada; the American (made in Pittsburgh) version is sold in the US. I got up and checked, and Made in England. I buy it in the big bottle, and it's time to get more.
As I say I’m not generally bothered about the prospect of missing food from home, but as the move draws nearer it’s tempting to use my staff discount, while I still have one, to stock up on a few small essentials.

I’d be irritable for example if I knew I had to go a year without a chocolate digestive or two.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

As I say I’m not generally bothered about the prospect of missing food from home, but as the move draws nearer it’s tempting to use my staff discount, while I still have one, to stock up on a few small essentials.

I’d be irritable for example if I knew I had to go a year without a chocolate digestive or two.
From reading posts on here I know availability of some things is dependent on area so you may want to bring some of your favourite biscuits. If you say where in Canada you're going and ask about a specific product, someone will likely tell where they've tried to source it, and if they've been successful.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 11:00 pm

‪Said to me at work yesterday as I was straightening the tins of beans & spaghetti:‬

‪“Excuse me, I know you work on beans & spaghetti, but do you know where the pesto is?”‬

I hate being pigeonholed like this! Given the chance I can do sweetcorn, coffee, even Weetabix!

‪#supermarketworker #beansandspaghettimanager
Old Jul 4th 2020, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

‪Said to me at work yesterday as I was straightening the tins of beans & spaghetti:‬

‪“Excuse me, I know you work on beans & spaghetti, but do you know where the pesto is?”‬

I hate being pigeonholed like this! Given the chance I can do sweetcorn, coffee, even Weetabix!

‪#supermarketworker #beansandspaghettimanager
I would have opened a tin of Alphagetti and spelled out to her what she could do.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I would have opened a tin of Alphagetti and spelled out to her what she could do.
It’s all I can do to reign in my sarcasm with customers. I have a feeling it might all come out on my last day, which is two weeks yesterday.

A guy asked me in a very irritable tone yesterday why we had sold out of San Miguel. I had to stop myself replying that it was because someone more organised than him came in and bought it.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 11:32 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
They are Whitney, Beyonce, Dolly and Madge.

The women in my household are not very imaginative!

We have goats arriving soon too. I don't believe they are to be eaten. "Weed control" is the reason given.

I believe it is so that more of this sort of thing can happen:
That is a lovely photo AC...if I were a betting woman I’d wager a fair sum on you not getting to put mint sauce on those particular ba lambs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.