Groceries

Old Jun 25th 2020, 3:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
This year, for the first time, we are attempting to raise our own chickens and lambs for food. In light of the increases in the cost of such items at grocery stores, it appears that it may actually be cost effective to do so.

However, after purchasing 4 lambs, my OH has decided that she now wishes to purchase a few more with the plan to keep a couple of them to breed next year. I believe that this may turn into another plan to keep animals that may not earn their keep. Time will tell.

Here's a piccie:
Keep your eye on the dark one
Old Jun 25th 2020, 3:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

This year, for the first time, we are attempting to raise our own chickens and lambs for food. In light of the increases in the cost of such items at grocery stores, it appears that it may actually be cost effective to do so.

However, after purchasing 4 lambs, my OH has decided that she now wishes to purchase a few more with the plan to keep a couple of them to breed next year. I believe that this may turn into another plan to keep animals that may not earn their keep. Time will tell.

Here's a piccie:
Just don't let your OH name them. She will never, ever allow you to kill Baaa-abra Anne or Licorice.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 4:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a piccie:
Have you named them 'chopsie' 'mintsos' 'legolam' and 'scragend stu' ?
Old Jun 25th 2020, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Just don't let your OH name them. She will never, ever allow you to kill Baaa-abra Anne or Licorice.
Originally Posted by Siouxie
Have you named them 'chopsie' 'mintsos' 'legolam' and 'scragend stu' ?
They are Whitney, Beyonce, Dolly and Madge.

The women in my household are not very imaginative!

We have goats arriving soon too. I don't believe they are to be eaten. "Weed control" is the reason given.

I believe it is so that more of this sort of thing can happen:

Old Jun 25th 2020, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I hope your customers are generous tippers
Last week tips made up 12% of our earnings, the rest being paid by IC.

Compared to American's, Canadian's are less generous when it comes to tipping I find in general. In the US IC seems the majority of the payment is from tips, where in Canada its from IC,

Not sure how popular it will be in Kelowna, may not be as viable there, less people so likely less orders in general, its been hard this week even getting orders to shop, so few offered, and the few that are, well they are 30+ km away to the store which is too far away.

Its really feast or famine, one week can make $300 before expenses, and the next week barely make $50, but I am sure they have algorithms that decide all this, its certainly not random what shops your offered.

As for the sheep and goat pictures, I love goats. We had one when I was growing up as a pet, a pygmy goat so stayed smaller, best kept the grass nice and short, and trees and shrubs too, basically a 4 legged eating lawn mowing machine that also fertilizes...ha ha

We also had a goose and duck, who hung out with the goat, and I called them the 3 amigos.

The goose was mean, outlived them all.

The duck was supposed to be food as my aunt raised ducks to eat, but this one was all black with a white speck on its chest that looked like a heart, I managed to convince my parents to let me have it as a pet.

Our house was on a little over 1/2 acre, right next to my aunt whose house was on 1.5 acres so a fair amount of land.

Downside to urban living and apartment living is you become 100% reliant on grocery stores, which are lets say becoming fairly expense these days, if prices keep going up, well the prices of nutritional food, might get to a point where chips and candy and frozen TV dinners are the way to go, junky food never seems to increase much in price.

If you take $50 into Wal-Mart and stick with meat, vegetables and fruit you might get 2 or 3 days of meals, stick with chips, candy and frozen dinners and you will eat like a king.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 25th 2020 at 6:56 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Today's Walmart flyer has Cherries on offer. So does Instacart for Walmart. But...

Walmart flyer - $2.46 lb. It says save 2.51 lb, so that should be $4.97 lb.
Instacart price for Walmart is $5.95, down from $14.44 lb.
IC has cherries at my Wal-Mart for $4.74 per pound, apparently a savings of $14.53 according to IC and regular price is listed as $19.27/lb

1.96/lb in the Wal-Mart flyer which says a savings of $2.01 per pound.

Have not seen any cherries in the store though, so don't seem available in all stores yet.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 4:44 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

They are Whitney, Beyonce, Dolly and Madge.

The women in my household are not very imaginative!

We have goats arriving soon too. I don't believe they are to be eaten. "Weed control" is the reason given.

I believe it is so that more of this sort of thing can happen:
Great photo ! That sheep looks quite heavy !
Old Jun 26th 2020, 9:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If I deduct the delivery costs of my IGA order that arrived today, the price of everything was $69.31. My receipt shows the normal price of everything bought would be $137.45. A saving of $68.14.

I hadn't planned another order yet but having seen the flyer and what they were knocking off some of the prices this week I went for it.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

If I deduct the delivery costs of my IGA order that arrived today, the price of everything was $69.31. My receipt shows the normal price of everything bought would be $137.45. A saving of $68.14.

I hadn't planned another order yet but having seen the flyer and what they were knocking off some of the prices this week I went for it.
maybe people are eating up their pandemic stockpiles instead of shopping?
Old Jun 26th 2020, 10:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You may well be right on that score. A good sound plan though. Here in NZ one can also buy into a 'cattle beast' or multiples thereof. One pays a % share for husbandry, feed etc and come the time one gets a % of the meat.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 10:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

People who sell meat may be gross!
But those who sell fruits and vegetables are grocer!
Old Jun 27th 2020, 1:17 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
maybe people are eating up their pandemic stockpiles instead of shopping?

Attached Thumbnails Groceries-funny-caucasian-young-man-eats-toilet-paper-forgot-buy-food-coronavirus-panic-funny-caucasian.jpg  
Old Jun 27th 2020, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
The Costco approach of buying in bulk and it lasts longer works great until you have teenage boys in the house. Once that happens it doesn't matter how much you buy, its gone in a week.
for chicken learn to butcher a whole chicken into meat portions, way cheaper per lb to buy whole than chicken portions
Old Jun 27th 2020, 3:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
for chicken learn to butcher a whole chicken into meat portions, way cheaper per lb to buy whole than chicken portions
That depends whether you want all parts, particularly breast and wings.

Round these parts, the lowest priced whole chicken is $1.99 lb. Exceptionally $1.88. The leg/thigh portions are available for less more often.

I just got a pack of five out the freezer that I bought from IGA a couple of weeks ago for 99c lb. The pack cost $5.19 and weighs just over 5.2lbs

I buy frozen chicken breasts in a box from Wholesale Club (not a club )
Old Jun 27th 2020, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

That depends whether you want all parts, particularly breast and wings.

Round these parts, the lowest priced whole chicken is $1.99 lb. Exceptionally $1.88. The leg/thigh portions are available for less more often.

I just got a pack of five out the freezer that I bought from IGA a couple of weeks ago for 99c lb. The pack cost $5.19 and weighs just over 5.2lbs

I buy frozen chicken breasts in a box from Wholesale Club (not a club )

I don't like drumsticks or thigh meat, never have, the color puts me off...I like the chicken breast, same with turkey only like the light colored meat without bone.

Here its almost always slightly cheaper to buy a cooked chicken, the kind you buy hot from the deli section, would think it would cost more since its cooked, and packaged, but nope a raw whole chicken does.

The frozen chicken not sold by the pound here, its just something like 2kg bag for X price, the unfrozen is sold by pound, although some stores like Wal-Mart seem to be going to a flat price, $12 for 4 chicken breasts for example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.