Groceries

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Shard
Yeah, they're all going to go aren't they. To be honest, I'm surprised the transition is taking this long. It must 20 years since self checkouts were first introduced.

UBI. Yang is spot on about that.
I was using self check out in 2000 at some grocery stores in the US, but then around 2003 they vanished, a few years later came back, some chains kept them and some again vanished, but this time around things seem permanent, but of course over 20 years the technology has changed a lot.

I do wish the self check outs here where like what Wal-Mart uses by moms house, with the conveyor belt and nice large area to stage and bag vs the little tiny ones here where its like enough to put 2 bags of stuff in the staging area, but at least Wal-Mart turned off the scale so its honor system really, and you can take the bag off and put in the cart to make room for next round without the machine yelling at you, please place items in the bagging area. Wal-Mart has made their machines sound like slot machines at my local store, guess its better then the annoying sounds other stores use.

I get self check out and automation creates higher skilled tech jobs, but we can't all be skilled tech workers, some of us simply do not have what it takes, and as lower skill jobs vanish and replaced by higher skilled jobs, its making some unemployable, so governments need to work something out, this whole everyone can just retrain into higher skilled jobs theory some push around isn't a viable options, not everyone has the abilities for these higher skill jobs.

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 10:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
They came to my house last night (finally) and the guy didn't even wear a mask !
Did you let him in?
Old Jun 24th 2020, 12:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wal-Mart finally had salt and pepper chicken wings in stock, they have been out every time I have gone looking for them for the past month, finally the freezer was full, seems maybe they are getting stock again more regularly or at least meeting demand now.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 2:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This might be a record.

I was going to do an Instacart/Wholesale Club shop tomorrow but MIL discovered her coffee cream was about to run out so I brought it forward to today selecting the delivery within two hours option - no additional charge.

Online order completed 10.41, all items ordered were delivered (100% correct) to my door 11.17am. 36 minutes total.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 3:01 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I still haven't figured out how Instacart makes its money..ha ha
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Probably all those smaller things that they charge $4.99 for when in store it's $2.99
We don't usually get the store receipt - I imagine the shopper is discouraged from passing it on since the customer can then see how much less the item was in store compared to what they paid to Instacart.
The receipt isn't supposed to be included in the bag though.
Same guy as last week and the receipt was in the bag again.

12 separate items. Most of them 50c to $1.50 cheaper on the receipt than the Instacart price. Coffee pods $3 more on Instacart but still an excellent price compared to Superstore for the same pack.

But there was one item that cost me $12.15 and is $20 on the receipt. Difference in the two totals is a mere 10c.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Ask and you shall receive!

Instacart primarily makes money through a delivery fee, which comes to $5.99 on orders over $35 and $7.99 on orders under $35. The minimum order amount you can make through the service is $10. Delivery fees may also increase if you want the order delivered quicker or during busier times: for example, my test order totaling under $35 would've cost $9.99 to fulfill on a Thursday evening, meaning Instacart was adding $2 to the delivery fee.

Additionally, more frequent Instacart users may be enticed to sign up for Instacart Express, which offers free two-hour or scheduled deliveries on orders over $35. For one-hour deliveries, Instacart Express members pay the standard fee. Today, it costs $149 for a year subscription to Instacart Express.

In addition to its consumer-facing fees and subscriptions, Instacart also makes money through two other avenues.

For one, the company has revenue sharing models in place with all retailers on its platform. Though the scope of those models vary from vendor to vendor, Instacart doesn't share exactly how these models work.
The other avenue is promotions-based. Instacart works with brands of consumer packaged goods (CPGs) to offer customers special discounts in the Instacart Deals section of its online marketplace. It's kind of like having an ad platform, except you have real people actually in the moment of purchase, which means that CPGs can work with Instacart to pay for better visibility.

https://vator.tv/news/2016-08-02-how...tandard%20fee.
Wow, your costs for delivery are really good. We pay Euro9.50 no matter how much we order. It used to be over 150 Euros free, recently changed to the higher price.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Its normal if we don't get at least 4 items that we ordered. Some of the fresh vegetables and fruit have been pretty badly selected. Yesterday they gave us a beautiful cabbage though. It makes a difference getting something good.
Our receipts are always put in the bag.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 3:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
Wow, your costs for delivery are really good. We pay Euro9.50 no matter how much we order. It used to be over 150 Euros free, recently changed to the higher price.
My post wasn't about delivery prices here in Perth Western Australia, it was just some Canada info that JSmith was wondering about.

A 'normal' grocery delivery from the two major supermarkets here costs AUD$12, which is 7.3 euros on today's exchange rate. Grocery orders of over AUD$200 are delivered free. There's a new service funded by the Australian government that's free for older people, people with a disability, carers, and anyone who feels too anxious to do their shopping themselves. It's staffed by trained community support workers and trained volunteers, they do your shopping for you and will deliver it in the way you specify, eg leave at your door, bring inside, or even bring inside and put it all away if that's what you want. There's quite a bit on the website about the hygiene practices followed, they seem very thorough. It's very popular, with the added benefit that is provides jobs for people who have lost their jobs in the not for profit sector.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jun 24th 2020 at 3:53 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Same guy as last week and the receipt was in the bag again.

12 separate items. Most of them 50c to $1.50 cheaper on the receipt than the Instacart price. Coffee pods $3 more on Instacart but still an excellent price compared to Superstore for the same pack.

But there was one item that cost me $12.15 and is $20 on the receipt. Difference in the two totals is a mere 10c.

I discovered something about IC at least for here and the items I checked.

Wal-Mart the prices in IC are basically the same as in store, and even show the same sale prices.

Super Store the prices are inflated on many items, something that is 69 cents in store is listed as 1.15 on IC.

Seems best to order from IC using Wal-Mart at least for my 2 stores and comparison.

So 11 items on Wal-Mart before delivery fee and tip = $38.38

The same items at Super Store- $49.23 before tip and delivery fee.

So does seems the prices on IC for Super Store are higher vs Wal-Mart at least between the 2 stores I compared.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 24th 2020 at 4:49 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 4:47 pm
Oscar nominated

Wal-Mart the prices in IC are basically the same as in store, and even show the same sale prices.

Super Store the prices are inflated on many items, something that is 69 cents in store is listed as 1.15 on IC.

Seems best to order from IC using Wal-Mart at least for my 2 stores and comparison.
Yes, just lately instacart has had some of the same flyer prices for Walmart. But only some. It's still a fair bit more unless you restrict yourself to reductions.

Direct from IGA, though, 90% of flyer prices are the same on line. I can save with them even though the delivery charge is higher than Instacart.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:35 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Did you let him in?
I didn't ! Normally they ask where shall I put them (groceries) but this was a drop at the doorway kind of deal. And there was a leaking bottle which created extra aggro and discussion.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:40 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I get self check out and automation creates higher skilled tech jobs, but we can't all be skilled tech workers, some of us simply do not have what it takes, and as lower skill jobs vanish and replaced by higher skilled jobs, its making some unemployable, so governments need to work something out, this whole everyone can just retrain into higher skilled jobs theory some push around isn't a viable options, not everyone has the abilities for these higher skill jobs.
It doesn't create enough of them, especially in the long run. And as you say, there is an unskilled segment of the workforce. Perhaps something that will come out of this pandemic is a realisation that work needs to be re-designed.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So 11 items on Wal-Mart before delivery fee and tip = $38.38

The same items at Super Store- $49.23 before tip and delivery fee.

So does seems the prices on IC for Super Store are higher vs Wal-Mart at least between the 2 stores I compared.
I hope your customers are generous tippers
Old Jun 25th 2020, 11:53 am
Oscar nominated

Yes, just lately instacart has had some of the same flyer prices for Walmart. But only some.
Today's Walmart flyer has Cherries on offer. So does Instacart for Walmart. But...

Walmart flyer - $2.46 lb. It says save 2.51 lb, so that should be $4.97 lb.
Instacart price for Walmart is $5.95, down from $14.44 lb.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

This year, for the first time, we are attempting to raise our own chickens and lambs for food. In light of the increases in the cost of such items at grocery stores, it appears that it may actually be cost effective to do so.

However, after purchasing 4 lambs, my OH has decided that she now wishes to purchase a few more with the plan to keep a couple of them to breed next year. I believe that this may turn into another plan to keep animals that may not earn their keep. Time will tell.

Here's a piccie:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.