Groceries

Old Oct 16th 2019, 4:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Good cheese is, okay cheese isn't.
Just looking at Tesco. Cathedral City Extra Mature is £1/100g = $1.70
Tesco extra mature 49p/100g = 83c

A 400g slab here, of the tastiest 'extra old' which is not as tasty as the Tesco one but okay will set you back $5 on offer, so $1.25/100g

Something as good as Tesco extra mature will be like that Agropur I mentioned above you might get for $3.49/100g if you are really - and I mean really - lucky.

Of course you take the good with the bad and you can make up for the cost of good cheese with, for example, corn cobs for between 25c ('wrapped') and 50c each and I see Tesco has twin packs - not the cheapest way to buy, granted - for £1.50 or $1.27 each.
I typically pay £6-7 per kg for half decent cheddar. It can be less. 400g for $5 seems about right.

My favourite cheddar is £8.75 kg, but sometimes on sale so less.

Last edited by Shard; Oct 16th 2019 at 4:05 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 5:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
400g for $5 seems about right.
That is the offer price though. Once every 3 or 4 weeks and for three days. Outside of that and full price is around $8 and some of those brands only go to 'old' which is on a par with UK mild/medium.

I remember the UK had mild, medium, farmhouse or 'tasty' and then mature.
As far as Canada's slabs go, extra old is at best farmhouse or tasty, 'old' is UK mild/medium and Canada's mild/medium ones are "what's this lump in my mouth?"

Bizarrely, marble cheese has more flavour than some brands' old.

Old Oct 16th 2019, 5:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

That is the offer price though. Once every 3 or 4 weeks and for three days. Outside of that and full price is around $8 and some of those brands only go to 'old' which is on a par with UK mild/medium.

I remember the UK had mild, medium, farmhouse or 'tasty' and then mature.
As far as Canada's slabs go, extra old is at best farmhouse or tasty, 'old' is UK mild/medium and Canada's mild/medium ones are "what's this lump in my mouth?"

I thought that Canada EU trade agreement liberalised cheese imports ?
Old Oct 16th 2019, 7:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I thought that Canada EU trade agreement liberalised cheese imports ?
We were hoping but I'm not sure anything's happened yet.
Old Oct 18th 2019, 8:18 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
You're getting a free tapas buffet tonight, fill your boots when you can and then negotiate.
I think further action is required if cheese is banned.

Marble is pretty much my goto.

We were hoping but I'm not sure anything's happened yet.
It won't necessarily help the cost though, the supermarkets seem fairly happily cartelised here. .
Old Oct 18th 2019, 10:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
It won't necessarily help the cost though, the supermarkets seem fairly happily cartelised here. .
When we do get something different and nice without breaking the bank (in some stores), it's from small producers in that region, and lowering tariffs on imported cheese is their worst enemy. It's been years since we were teased with the notion of cheap European cheese, so not holding my breath.

Old Oct 18th 2019, 10:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
...the supermarkets seem fairly happily cartelised here. .
I reckon they have spies in each other's camp. 🕵️

It's remarkable how often you look at a flyer and see there's a great offer on Prime rib roast, say, and then the flyer for the rival also has it.

Or the flyers arrive on a Wednesday, with one store having something at half price from Thursday and the other not. But then you pick up the Wednesday newspaper (the flyers and paper arrive together) and there's a full page ad from the other store now advertising the same deal. And the only way they could have known in time would be a spy in the other camp or someone at the printers has spilled the beans

Old Oct 18th 2019, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You cheese tariffs are high every-time an article pops up about a cheese smuggler being caught smuggling cheese into Canada.

I am not a fan of the big brands (black diamond, kraft, armstrong etc) but I do like the US brand Tillamook and pick a brick anytime I am close to the border and cross quickly, works out to about the same price after exchange rate, but I prefer the taste, its a top seller along the border to Canadians, they make awesome yogurt too and haven't found a brand comparable to it in BC.

Originally Posted by caretaker
When we do get something different and nice without breaking the bank (in some stores), it's from small producers in that region, and lowering tariffs on imported cheese is their worst enemy. It's been years since we were teased with the notion of cheap European cheese, so not holding my breath.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 12:43 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently we don't buy groceries anymore we select produce.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 1:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Apparently we don't buy groceries anymore we select produce.
Good lord I'll remember that next time I'm selecting my can of baked beans. Must remember to put on a fetching little hat and gloves first.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

So grocery store "Fresh St Market" is opening in Kamloops it will be the nearest store to my house, i have never heard of them, seems they are just in Vancouver at the moment, any Vancouverites have any comments about their prices, quality etc etc.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They always reminded me of a lower cost version of Whole Foods, I only went to one once though and it was a few years ago.

You can see their prices on their website by going to the online shopping tab.

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
So grocery store "Fresh St Market" is opening in Kamloops it will be the nearest store to my house, i have never heard of them, seems they are just in Vancouver at the moment, any Vancouverites have any comments about their prices, quality etc etc.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 6:49 pm
Oscar nominated

Superstore has President's Choice West Country Farmhouse Cheddar. $8.99 for 200g.

Not exactly a great price but I bought a couple.

A 200g wedge would be £1 in Sainsburys. Or $1.70.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:00 pm
Yo

Superstore has President's Choice West Country Farmhouse Cheddar. $8.99 for 200g.

Not exactly a great price but I bought a couple.

A 200g wedge would be £1 in Sainsburys. Or $1.70.
My best deal on cheddar was 800g post-Xmas Welsh cheddar at M&S for £5. Very tasty cheddar too.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 7:27 pm
Oscar nominated

Did well yesterday at Superstore.
PC coffee pods (30) for the Keurig were available with $2 worth of points on the $14.99 price but when I got there, they were $9.99. Less than 27c a cup for me and my mother in law gets a cup from a used one too. It's her strength of coffee that way.

Chicken legs @ $1.29 lb...was to have been dinner but they had four good quality steaks - eat tonight - for half what was already a great price so we had those instead.

Also bought two half price big shanks which MIL turns into a huge pot of fantastic soup.
$30 of beef for $15, bargain price and discovered $4 worth of points on it too.

All in all it made the smoked salmon seem less expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.