Groceries

Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

If a turkey could fit in our freezer, I would buy one. But we have a tiny freezer even empty a turkey wont really fit well.

Turkey not .79/lb though here. Its .95/lb.

Food prices are climbing quicker then I have seen in the past. Less deals as well. Noticed pricing on many of the things I buy overall going up.

Things at Dollaramma that were 2.50 last year are 3 to 4 now that store is almost getting too expensive to deal with going there.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 1:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by caretaker
Utility turkeys .79/lb at No Frills. I don't think you can steal a turkey and clean it for $9 but that's what this one cost.

Oh wow. Me and him would love that deal. Himself really likes turkey.

In NZ that would cost around CAD $80. They are a daft price here.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Great deal. I used to only buy the Butterball ones (or PC equivalent) but Walmart's 90c lb ones can be just as good if cooked right.
We usually get 3 or 4 quite different dinners for four and a pot of curry too, from a 10lb bird.

Jsmth321. Think outside the freezer.
You buy that incredibly priced turkey . Unfreeze and cook. You portion out assorted dinners, BristolUK style, over the best part of a week.

We do the same .

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 29th 2018 at 1:09 am. Reason: Remove giant turkey.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a light-hearted commentary on turkey (the driest meat around), and fart-balls from Belgium.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 8:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Jsmth321. Think outside the freezer.
You buy that incredibly priced turkey . Unfreeze and cook. You portion out assorted dinners, BristolUK style, over the best part of a week.
We do the same .
Turkey drumsticks sold individually can be a great deal too. Bung one in the slow cooker with whatever ingredients and flavourings you want for 6 hours or so.
Remove it - carefully as it will fall apart - and let it cool before taking it apart by hand. It's really easy to remove the bones and spindly bits and add the bits of meat back to the pot. Fantastic soups or thicken it for a curry or whatever you fancy.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Turkey drumsticks sold individually can be a great deal too. Bung one in the slow cooker with whatever ingredients and flavourings you want for 6 hours or so.
Remove it - carefully as it will fall apart - and let it cool before taking it apart by hand. It's really easy to remove the bones and spindly bits and add the bits of meat back to the pot. Fantastic soups or thicken it for a curry or whatever you fancy.
I have never seen a turkey drum stick sold without the entire bird...... Well except at Disneyland where they sell whole cooked drumsticks on the bone.

http://www.doctordisney.com/wp-conte...turkey-leg.jpg
Old Sep 29th 2018, 8:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have never seen a turkey drum stick sold without the entire bird......
I first noticed them at our local butcher/meat store. They would appear shortly after Christmas and Thanksgiving as if the store still had whole turkeys left which they'd cut up and sell as legs, wings, half breasts etc.

Now they're all year round and the main supermarkets have them too.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 12:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'll give that a go thanks BristolUK.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 12:16 am
Account Closed

I first noticed them at our local butcher/meat store. They would appear shortly after Christmas and Thanksgiving as if the store still had whole turkeys left which they'd cut up and sell as legs, wings, half breasts etc.

Now they're all year round and the main supermarkets have them too.

I'll have to look next time I go to a full service grocery, we do most our shopping at No Frills and Wal-Mart and never seen anything but whole turkeys, and No Frills doesn't even sell turkey year round, well other then sandwich meat.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 1:18 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a piece of beef from Foodland in Stroud, earlier, and I saved more than I spent.

Not the best cut but it's, allegedly, AAA
Old Oct 1st 2018, 1:37 am
Account Closed

Had some money today so was able to get one of the No Frills turkey, despite the printed ad saying 0.95/lb they were actually 0.79/lb 14.67 in total.

If we had a freezer a turkey could fit in, I would have bought a couple for the future, but stupid mini-appliances. I had to check to see if it would even fit in the oven, just barely...lol

Not sure how many they had but only 4 left and only 1 with a price sticker so I grabbed that one.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 6:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Utility turkeys .79/lb at No Frills. I don't think you can steal a turkey and clean it for $9 but that's what this one cost.
When I still lived in Southern Ontario my niece and I would go to Buffalo to buy the 19c/lb turkeys at TOPS just after American Thanksgiving. Like BEVS, turkey here in Australia is ridiculously priced. $10-12/kg so your 10 lb turkey would be about $50 here. I do buy just the leg or a thigh if I am making soup, though.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 3:16 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
When I still lived in Southern Ontario my niece and I would go to Buffalo to buy the 19c/lb turkeys at TOPS just after American Thanksgiving. Like BEVS, turkey here in Australia is ridiculously priced. $10-12/kg so your 10 lb turkey would be about $50 here. I do buy just the leg or a thigh if I am making soup, though.
Yeah, but you have sensibly priced lamb. I'd rather shell out a bit more for a turkey once or twice a year and have access to a decent joint of lamb without a second mortgage. Even supposedly cheaper cuts (scrag end makes an excellent stew) is stupidly expensive here, when you can find it at all. I probably buy lamb chops a couple of times a year, and will spring for a leg to roast around Easter time - an unbeliever's culinary sop to his CofE upbringing - but that's about it.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 3:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Yeah, but you have sensibly priced lamb. I'd rather shell out a bit more for a turkey once or twice a year and have access to a decent joint of lamb without a second mortgage. Even supposedly cheaper cuts (scrag end makes an excellent stew) is stupidly expensive here, when you can find it at all. I probably buy lamb chops a couple of times a year, and will spring for a leg to roast around Easter time - an unbeliever's culinary sop to his CofE upbringing - but that's about it.
I don't know about reasonable lamb. A shoulder is $20/kg at the supermarket and probably more from the butchers. The chops I like are the little ones with the bone you use as handles and they're always close to $30/kg. It is nicer than the lamb you can get there though.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 5:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Generally the only lamb available in this neck of the woods comes from New Zealand and is frozen. Stupidly expensive at $40odd for a decent leg roast so like you its a once a year or so thing for us. (But without the sop to religiosity). As I think I've posted about before, Costco seem to offer an entire frozen lamb for $100 or so but how you process that into eatable chunks without a bandsaw rather baffles me.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

I like lamb but I only ever see it frozen from New Zealand in green packages, price wise

Looking at the save on website Lamb does have a premium, but seems all meat is pricey these days.

New Zealand

Spring Lamb Loin Chops 20/kg avg but only sold in 350g packages, Save On has it at 0.02 per g so 0.02 * 1,000g should be 20/kg I think.

Lamb shoulder blade average price $15.19/kg

Spring Lamb Whole Bone-In 11/kg average.

Chicken breasts $8.80/kg

Whole raw chicken runs $8.58/kg (cheaper at almost all the store that sell roasted cooked chickens to buy the cooks vs raw.)

Pork Loin chops boneless $15.41/kg

We don't buy meat anymore on a regular basis unless on sale for a really low price.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 2nd 2018 at 6:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.