Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Grilling. In your oven

Grilling. In your oven

Old Jul 19th 2019, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grilling. In your oven

Just treat your sausage however is most convenient. You'll only end up with cooked sausage.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Definitely a difference in terminology. Even the Ikea thing isn't exactly what I'm describing because it looks like a heavyweight iron pan. The wallmart stuff all looks like pans too.

My tescos pan is pressed steel (non stick coated- cheaply- it was under a tenner) because I'm looking to cook primarily from radiant heat coming down. They key thing is it has a handle though and you keep the oven door open when cooking.

Ideally it would have arack or tray inside to let the fat drip through, but the sausages here aren't nearly as fatty as a british banger. The bacon on the other hand...

https://www.very.co.uk/tower-cerasto...1600083211.prd
You do that with a broiler pan as well ............ otherwise you burn out the thermostat in the oven really fast.

That usually means a new oven, so an expensive mistake to make

Old Jul 25th 2019, 11:38 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

This is what you need:

​​​​​​Basic Grills | George Foreman

And of course proper sausages!
Old Jul 25th 2019, 11:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Simples.

Old Jul 26th 2019, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

And the other thing that gets me - they don’t like/use draining boards here. We bought a sink with integral one when we had our kitchen updated and people comment on it as something unusual.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 12:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
And the other thing that gets me - they don’t like/use draining boards here. We bought a sink with integral one when we had our kitchen updated and people comment on it as something unusual.
Same here in New Zealand. You cannot get a washing up bowl either.

Old Aug 1st 2019, 5:54 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm laughing at this thread - or, more accurately, at myself - as we've just moved to the US and I'm trying to get to grips with new appliances and terminology. Last night I wanted to brown the top of a casserole and had to dig out an 84 page manual to work out how to do this. So it's broiling, and with my oven it has to be done with the door closed. And I need to invest in a broiling pan. (We live on the 27th floor, we don't have a barbie unless I want to go use the shared ones on the 39th floor terrace which would seem a bit of a faff for my bacon butty.)

Every day's an education right now.

Re. drainers - I got a plastic one from Target, just a flat thing much like the Ikea one I had in Oz before I re-did my kitchen there. Designers have told me they're no longer needed but we all have things that don't go in the dishwasher.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Plastic drainer tray and cutlery rack are available all over ........... from el cheapo ones in the Dollar stores, to Ikea; Rubbermaid; Amazon; Bed,Bath and Beyond; etc. Stainless steel ones are also available, but less commonly ........ Ikea does a nice one.

But, no, it is not common to have one integral to the sink. One reason is that people can hide the (empty and dried) separate drainer and tray in the cupboard under the sink when visitors come.