Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"Greenest" part of Canada

"Greenest" part of Canada

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:58 am
Just Joined

redmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really nice
Default "Greenest" part of Canada

I currently live downstream from one of the world's biggest environmental disaster zones (the Alberta oilsands) but am getting out of here for, amongst other reaons, my family's health. We are probably moving to New Brunswick for a year or so at school/ university and had considered staying there. I am deeply concerned however by the Provincial Government's desire to press ahead full speed with their extraction of natural gas by hydraulic fracturing, despite the apparent environmental dangers.

I am curious as to what other posters here think is the most "environmentally friendly" part of the country. Is there any province where clean air and water take priority over oil and gas exploration? Do you care?
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Greenest" part of Canada

Originally Posted by redmoose
I currently live downstream from one of the world's biggest environmental disaster zones (the Alberta oilsands) but am getting out of here for, amongst other reaons, my family's health. We are probably moving to New Brunswick for a year or so at school/ university and had considered staying there. I am deeply concerned however by the Provincial Government's desire to press ahead full speed with their extraction of natural gas by hydraulic fracturing, despite the apparent environmental dangers.

I am curious as to what other posters here think is the most "environmentally friendly" part of the country. Is there any province where clean air and water take priority over oil and gas exploration? Do you care?
I don't think there's any province where that's true. There are some pockets where green policies hold sway, Salt Spring Island might be one, but they're populated by people who made their money elsewhere and can afford to be hectoringly environmentally friendly.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:54 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with dbd33 on this one. Pretty much most of Canada is an environmental nightmare.

If you want to have a minimal impact in the environment, go and live in the middle of Toronto.

If you don't care about the environment, go and live in a big house in the suburbs, or on an acreage.

There are rare exceptions to this of course but the marginal viability of true green living means it's mostly left to eco-martyrs or people who've already made a pile of (dirty?) money.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 2:08 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Nova Scotia seem, at least, to pay lip service to the greener ideal..
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:35 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for adding to the open debate..?!...
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think there's any province where that's true. There are some pockets where green policies hold sway, Salt Spring Island might be one, but they're populated by people who made their money elsewhere and can afford to be hectoringly environmentally friendly.
Some photos of Salt Spring island
Attached Thumbnails "Greenest" part of Canada-dsc_0610.jpg   "Greenest" part of Canada-dsc_0851.jpg   "Greenest" part of Canada-dsc_0844.jpg  
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think they are green there anyway. Anywhere that is reliant on ferries to import everything can't really claim that.

The way I see it is that Canada is green only when compared to the US. And as this is the comparison that Canadians like to make they think they are environmentally friendly.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

redmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really niceredmoose is just really nice

Thanks for the responses.

Your opinions help to confirm my impression that Canada is a very "ungreen" place. The point about comparison with the US is an accurate one. Canada's sole claim to ecologically sound credentials seems to be based on the argument that we're not as bad as our neighbours. From what I've seen however that just seems to be because there aren't as many people here and therefore less cumulative impact. There are places on the West Coast of the US, in particular, which seem much more progressive than most of Canada.

I never thought the UK was a particularly green place but it now seems like a environmentalist's dream compared to Canada.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:36 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redmoose
Thanks for the responses.

Your opinions help to confirm my impression that Canada is a very "ungreen" place. The point about comparison with the US is an accurate one. Canada's sole claim to ecologically sound credentials seems to be based on the argument that we're not as bad as our neighbours. From what I've seen however that just seems to be because there aren't as many people here and therefore less cumulative impact. There are places on the West Coast of the US, in particular, which seem much more progressive than most of Canada.

I never thought the UK was a particularly green place but it now seems like a environmentalist's dream compared to Canada.
So I imagine you've already checked out/booked flights for your return to the UK.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
So I imagine you've already checked out/booked flights for your return to the UK.
Flights? An environmentalist should knit a canoe.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
Thanks so much for adding to the open debate..?!...
sorry for that, I got interrupted while writing and had to leave ... but i am back now and I just wanted to say that I am very very disappointed with the attitude towards environmental issues here in NS.
I have had very bad response to trying to be environmentally friendly.

In spring I volunteered to do spring clean-up along the side of the road. My friend and I cleaned both sides of a 6 km stretch of highway. (about 15 big garbage bags full of waste ) and it happened to us several times that some guys in pick-up trucks threw Tim Hortons cups and garbage right in front of us, laughing...
We found stoves, BBQs, propane containers, tires, a fridge etc... called the municipality to report illegal dumping, they noted it and said it was the owner's responsibility. It's still there after 3 months.
My neighbour never puts any garbage bags outside, he burns his plastic and we get the smell.
We often walk a long sandy beach and clean up what the fishermen throw overboard.. we find lots of rubber gloves, bait boxes, plastic straps etc. all from the people who need to make a living from the ocean, but pollute it and then whine at the government for more financial support, because there is not enough marine life any more. (I know that pollution is not the only reason for that)

They pour bleach down their wells to "clean" it, but don't realize it kills all the septic bacteria as well.

I could give you more examples, but you probably get the idea... I am very passionate about a clean environment and it doesn't get me anywhere. There is no sense in saying anything to people either , because they think you are just one of those crazy green people and laugh about it.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
They pour bleach down their wells to "clean" it, but don't realize it kills all the septic bacteria as well.
When shock chlorinating your well - recommended every year or so - you should run the chlorinated water away to soakaway somewhere via a hoserather than letting it go into the septic for that very reason.

As for the rest of your post - same thing happens here I'm afraid. Woods are full of dumped crap.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

Tried that already - although by knitted canoe rather than plane of course - but came back here anyway. I love this country but just really struggle with the careless attitude towards the environment and the priority given to exploiting natural resources with little thought as to the wider consequences. South west BC does seem like the most forward thinking part of the country in regards to environmental issues. I was hoping to find some of the same qualities in Nova Scotia but I'm not convinced that is the case. At least they seem to be holding back a bit on the natural gas stuff which is good.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Caledon has green pretentions:

http://www.town.caledon.on.ca/townha...nvironment.asp

though many people who live there commute to Toronto. In SUVs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.