Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Great, quirky or spectacular intros to live shows

Great, quirky or spectacular intros to live shows

Old Apr 26th 2018, 11:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great, quirky or spectacular intros to live shows

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
One of the more famous ones.

Nirvana, Reading 1992. In the run up to the festival, there were numerous reports that Kurt was not well & wouldn't show.

A roadie wheeled him on in a wheelchair, from which he feebly arose, then collapsed....jumped up and played the rest of the gig in the hospital robe..
I'd not heard of that one. A fun idea but after your build up it was a little anti climactic.

Kiss are apparently well known for it but I couldn't find anything worth posting.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'd not heard of that one. A fun idea but after your build up it was a little anti climactic.

Kiss are apparently well known for it but I couldn't find anything worth posting.
Aww...sorry to disappoint. Maybe you had to be there. Speaking of which...

Metallica, Donington 1995. The intro music ("Ecstasy and Gold") grinds to a halt, the PA announcer proclaims the death of heavy metal and asks the audience to make their way home. Much howls of derision. Some naughty swearing and the band launch into Breadfan.

Old Apr 27th 2018, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Alice Cooper c2001.

Lights went down, 2 roadies wheeled out what looked like a giat TV on a tall stand (any kid in 1970s UK would be reminded of the school TV)

The doors opened and animatronic puppet proceeded to warn us of the renegade Alice and to "...flee for your lives!"

Mass of pyros, Alice walks on stage to opening bars of Brutal Planet. (TV wheeled off in defeat)

Fantastic gig.
Saw Alice Cooper twice, what a showman, pure theatre to music.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
Saw Alice Cooper twice, what a showman, pure theatre to music.
Couldn't agree more, seen him about 6 or 7 times, from dingy Astoria theatre to festival stages, always put on a great show.

For Bristol, here's Kiss doing their thang...

The Darkness on a giant pair of breasts...

and finally, AC/DC on their own crazy train

Old Apr 28th 2018, 12:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

and finally, AC/DC on their own crazy train
I preferred the one on page one. I think many of these work better in the dark.

Keep 'em coming.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 7:15 pm
Oscar nominated

This is a good one.

Old Oct 11th 2018, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes, an understated intro is all that's needed - and an understated acknowledgment too!
Old Oct 11th 2018, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

The somewhat eccentric Screamin Lord Sutch before he went full on Monster Raving Looney....

Old Oct 11th 2018, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The somewhat eccentric Screamin Lord Sutch before he went full on Monster Raving Looney....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPSsaaPAAEo
Good God, what a magnificent show! I'd never seen him on stage before, so thanks for posting the clip. He was very clever to think up the Looney Party. If I recall correctly, he said all the political parties were Monster Raving Looneys, but his was the only Official MRL Party! It's still in business, I see, and still occasionally getting more votes than one of the unofficial MRLs.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Good God, what a magnificent show! I'd never seen him on stage before, so thanks for posting the clip. He was very clever to think up the Looney Party. If I recall correctly, he said all the political parties were Monster Raving Looneys, but his was the only Official MRL Party! It's still in business, I see, and still occasionally getting more votes than one of the unofficial MRLs.
I was lucky enough to see Lord Sutch play Liverpool Uni, he was still bonkers then (1988). I read an account of one show in the 60s when they were playing as support (he had a certain Ritchie Blackmore in his band). For the soundcheck, they played each other's instruments and were predictably naff. Then, for the show, they dressed as Roman gladiators, ran screaming and whooping through the audience to get to the stage, and promptly blew the headliners off the stage.