Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Great, quirky or spectacular intros to live shows

Great, quirky or spectacular intros to live shows

Old Apr 24th 2018, 11:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great, quirky or spectacular intros to live shows

You don't have to like the band, singer, whatever, although it obviously helps.

You're excited at seeing your heroes but their entry onto the stage (or maybe they were already there and are then spotlighted) really gets you in the mood.

Somewhere around 2003 I saw the band Goldfinger at the then Bristol Academy. They came onto the stage to the James Bond theme. Like this. Not a good recording but I never even found one before.

There are a few versions of U2 coming on stage on their 360 tour, none with good sound but this one is good visually.

It's hard to beat this last one. I'm not a Level 42 fan but this is just ace.

I couldn't find a youtube one to compare so this is dailymotion.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vw1tm

What can you offer?
Old Apr 25th 2018, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great, quirky or spectacular intros to live shows

I mostly went to metal / rock gigs "when I were a lad"

I remember Saxon introducing one song as "This will blow you f****n socks off" In true Spinal Tap style nothing happened. At All. After 30 seconds of tech messing about, the band shrugged & started. I thought it was funny, but maybe you had to be there.

I also saw Acid Reign - a UK thrash band, who used Charlie Daniels' "Devil Went Down to Georgia" as their intro music. (bad video, but this is what it was like")

Last, but not least, the Swedish doom metal band Candlemass came on stage to the Funeral March (yes that one by Chopin), all dressed in monks robes

Fun times, and never a mobile phone in sight....
Old Apr 25th 2018, 2:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
...I also saw Acid Reign - a UK thrash band, who used Charlie Daniels' "Devil Went Down to Georgia" as their intro music...the Swedish doom metal band Candlemass came on stage to the Funeral March (yes that one by Chopin), all dressed in monks robes
Perfect examples.

I remember - slightly - back in the 70s, seeing Queen when they were a rock band before their sell-out days, coming on stage to something that sounded like a royal entrance. A bit like this.

This one's rather fun

Old Apr 25th 2018, 3:10 pm
Oscar nominated

Old Apr 25th 2018, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 1994 I went to see the Pogues in Toronto on St. Patrick's Day at a place called The Warehouse. As the concert ended and they turned on the lights to get people to leave, the PA system started blasting 'Always look on the bright side of life' by Monty Python which resulted in a great sing song.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 3:32 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
...As the concert ended and they turned on the lights to get people to leave, the PA system started blasting 'Always look on the bright side of life' by Monty Python which resulted in a great sing song.
Ha. I'm now reminded of Tiffany's in Bristol on the "heavy night" when one of the last things played was Mud's Tiger Feet. A similar intention I think, but by then people had sungalong to Hi Ho Silver Lining, so treated it as more fun.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember AC/DC in 1988 started the the gig with along intro to Who Made Who, with about a dozen "Anguses" lining the walkway at the back of the stage. One by one, the spotlights were dimmed until only the real Angus remained.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Alice Cooper c2001.

Lights went down, 2 roadies wheeled out what looked like a giat TV on a tall stand (any kid in 1970s UK would be reminded of the school TV)

The doors opened and animatronic puppet proceeded to warn us of the renegade Alice and to "...flee for your lives!"

Mass of pyros, Alice walks on stage to opening bars of Brutal Planet. (TV wheeled off in defeat)

Fantastic gig.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 12:23 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
Alice Cooper c2001...
I looked for some earlier but I lost patience with so many that might fit the bill but didn't

Old Apr 26th 2018, 5:23 pm
Oscar nominated

Eminem. This looks great.

Old Apr 26th 2018, 5:32 pm
Oscar nominated

Pink's had a few apparently

Old Apr 26th 2018, 5:56 pm
Oscar nominated

Another AC/DC

Old Apr 26th 2018, 6:20 pm
Oscar nominated

Does this count?

Old Apr 26th 2018, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I looked for some earlier but I lost patience with so many that might fit the bill but didn't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEtMwWchNkA

Oh good find! That was it.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

One of the more famous ones.

Nirvana, Reading 1992. In the run up to the festival, there were numerous reports that Kurt was not well & wouldn't show.

A roadie wheeled him on in a wheelchair, from which he feebly arose, then collapsed....jumped up and played the rest of the gig in the hospital robe.

Fun times, I was there and it was VERY muddy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.