Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

gravy... I don't get it...

gravy... I don't get it...

Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gravy... I don't get it...

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The spud water has more starch in it to help along with the Bisto or flour, thicken the gravy

That's what my mum and my wifes mum told us.
Ahhhhh can see now. I was told that the veg water contained vitamins that were took out when boiling the veg, no idea if it's true but just followed my grans instrustions. She used cornflour & water to thicken it, will have to try spud juice next time.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Does the rest of Canada have that classic 'The roast turkey sandwich'? Roast turkey, twixt two slices of white bread, covered in gravy (generally of the instant and somewhat bizzarely 'Beef' flavour) and served with chips? Or is it just a Newfoundland (Canada's most obsese province) thing?
We do that.

Mrs_P also likes sliced roast beef done the same way although she doesn't have to have the chips with it.

We don't get chips very often in our house.

They were a staple along with cheese of any kind for me until I had the bypass surgery and after that they mysteriously disappeared from my menu choices.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jan 24th 2008 at 9:18 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
We do that.

Mrs_P also like sliced roast beef done the same way doesn't have to have the chips though.

We don't get chips very often in our house.

They were a staple for me until I had the bypass surgery and after that they mysteriously disappeared from my menu choices.
I'll have a Friday Chippy Tea for you tomorrow
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
Ahhhhh can see now. I was told that the veg water contained vitamins that were took out when boiling the veg, no idea if it's true but just followed my grans instrustions. She used cornflour & water to thicken it, will have to try spud juice next time.
my mum uses both, but spud gravy is v important. We never had much of it though as she cooked the spuds in a pressure cooker. Surely the vitamins have been boiled away to buggery anyway. Also for gravy she used the bowl that the yorkshire puds had been mixed in and blended the meat drippings into the residue before adding the spud and veggie water
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:35 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
are you implying I cant cook
Perish the thought!

I was just pointing out that by the marriage compatibility criteria in your earlier post I'd make a pretty lousy catch - the bit about
A man knows he is loved and cherished if a huge plate of steaming dark brown gloop is placed on the table
to me sounds way more like the kind of thing one should discuss in euphemisms about being "taken up the Oxo Tower" than something you'd want to eat
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Perish the thought!

I was just pointing out that by the marriage compatibility criteria in your earlier post I'd make a pretty lousy catch - the bit about
A man knows he is loved and cherished if a huge plate of steaming dark brown gloop is placed on the table
to me sounds way more like the kind of thing one should discuss in euphemisms about being "taken up the Oxo Tower" than something you'd want to eat

What was that old joke? something like "at least my mothers gravy used to move"

Chips and mayo though, now that is something.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
caramelise onions, parsnips, carrots, potatoes, liquidise, thicken with cornflour, add marmite , soy sauce, etc, makes ace veggie gravy
Hmm. Does sound scrummy and I will give it a go as soon as I get round to getting kitchen gadgets!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:40 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I see so many references to gravy on here.

Obviously my grub must be very different as I eat gravy maybe twice a year, if that. It's always made by someone else.

What are you eating that you put gravy on? What is the appeal of instant gravy?
whats the matter with ya womanya need yar bloody gravy sunday roast and all the likes mashed totties gravy and onions.Im I missin some thing here?. GRAVY YA CANNA WHACK IT.some one talk tae hur she needs help
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I'm a gravy fan and the instant stuff is great for pie and mash (although a proper liquor and vinegar would go down a real treat!). The instant stuff is great for gravy dinners that hasn't got roasting meat juices in it, so grilled chicken and veg with mash etc.

Beef OXO cubes are also used to add flavour to stew, bolognese, cottage pie, chilli etc - same as using stock without the extra liquid.

Chicken OXO for casseroles and for crumbling in water for rice/pasta for flavour i.e. chicken oxo, rice, peas, onions, sweetcorn, herbs, salt and pepper and you have rice with the veggies that otherwise may not be eaten

And of course is you have a nice gravy dinner (roast is best) a bit of bread and gravy is dessert. Same as if you have chips - you have to save enough chips to slap in between a bit of bread and butter.
I could have written that post myself. We are the same person
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:40 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
I could have written that post myself. We are the same person
YAY!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:46 am
Banned

swiggy1030 will become famous soon enoughswiggy1030 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I see so many references to gravy on here.

Obviously my grub must be very different as I eat gravy maybe twice a year, if that. It's always made by someone else.

What are you eating that you put gravy on? What is the appeal of instant gravy?
I eat gravy morning noon and night,just love it,besides it's all i can afford.
Attached Thumbnails gravy... I don't get it...-ex-pats-gravy-recipe.jpg