Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

gravy... I don't get it...

gravy... I don't get it...

Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:03 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gravy... I don't get it...

Originally Posted by bazzz
Gravy is such an institution in the UK, that they've even erected a tower to it in London. Apparently it's a real treat to be taken up the Oxo Tower.
Saucy!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
I don't really like it, why make your food all soggy
That confuses me.

I make my own gravy - the Canadian wife and kids call it sauce and love it. They call it sauce a la Nicholas to distinguish it from instant stuff.

Why would it make things soggy? It's not like it's on the food a long time. If I had soggy food under my gravy, that would tell me I'd overcooked the veggies.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That confuses me.

Why would it make things soggy? It's not like it's on the food a long time. If I had soggy food under my gravy, that would tell me I'd overcooked the veggies.
Isn't that another great British tradition overcooked veggies
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Fnarr, fnarr! I hadn't noticed the double-entendre possibilities there. [I'm so innocent, me...]

My friendly Google elves tell me that this review appeared (briefly) on the London Eating website before being taken down: "Last Friday evening I tried to take my girlfriend up the Oxo Tower but unfortunately we found it was completely full, so despite our best efforts, we just couldn't get in. I even greased the odd palm in the hope of slipping in without too much of a fuss, but I didn't want to push it." Finbarr Saunders couldn't have put it better himself.

To return to the original question, I'm definitely in the only-bother-with-gravy-if-it's-proper-gravy camp: meat juices, flour, stock/veg water, a good slug of wine, seasoning. But then again, I'd have mustard with steak pie or sausages, mayonnaise with chips, etc etc - and if any potential wife fed me pretend gravy, apart from annoying the current Mrs O it'd probably be a good indicator that our tastes in food weren't too compatible (sorry, Batty )

My mother clearly failed me and never passed on how to make without powder (which as in the true powder not granules is really just a starch thickner) . Our problem is OH is veggie and therefore we don't have the meat juices........ SO I am in a halfway house, don't want granules, but still want the powder!!!

I wonder why Heston never made one of his programmes dedicated to the 'best' blah blah
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:44 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

To return to the original question, I'm definitely in the only-bother-with-gravy-if-it's-proper-gravy camp: meat juices, flour, stock/veg water, a good slug of wine, seasoning. But then again, I'd have mustard with steak pie or sausages, mayonnaise with chips, etc etc - and if any potential wife fed me pretend gravy, apart from annoying the current Mrs O it'd probably be a good indicator that our tastes in food weren't too compatible (sorry, Batty )
Is there really any other way to make gravy.

Even if you do use Bisto you must still use the meat juices and the veg water (preferably the potato water) a slug of wine would be nice but not necessary.

HP sauce on sausage and mash for me.

Speaking of English meals, does anyone else have fried egg and chips? Yolks still runny so you can dip the chips in them.

We mentioned this to a Canadian friend once when she asked what we were having for supper (tea) and she turned her nose up saying she'd never heard of such a meal. Any way she must have thought about it because a couple of weeks later she told us she'd tried it on her family and they loved it.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
My mother clearly failed me and never passed on how to make without powder (which as in the true powder not granules is really just a starch thickner) . Our problem is OH is veggie and therefore we don't have the meat juices........ SO I am in a halfway house, don't want granules, but still want the powder!!!

I wonder why Heston never made one of his programmes dedicated to the 'best' blah blah
caramelise onions, parsnips, carrots, potatoes, liquidise, thicken with cornflour, add marmite , soy sauce, etc, makes ace veggie gravy
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Speaking of English meals, does anyone else have fried egg and chips? Yolks still runny so you can dip the chips in them.
Of course.
My wife hates what she calls snotty eggs so she has to have them over easy, but she likes egg and chips. Refuses to entertain the idea of a spot of ketchup with the egg though.

I'll do that once in a while. Chip and egg butty?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Fnarr, fnarr! I hadn't noticed the double-entendre possibilities there. [I'm so innocent, me...]

My friendly Google elves tell me that this review appeared (briefly) on the London Eating website before being taken down: "Last Friday evening I tried to take my girlfriend up the Oxo Tower but unfortunately we found it was completely full, so despite our best efforts, we just couldn't get in. I even greased the odd palm in the hope of slipping in without too much of a fuss, but I didn't want to push it." Finbarr Saunders couldn't have put it better himself.

are you implying I cant cook
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:54 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you do use Bisto you must still use the meat juices and the veg water (preferably the potato water) a slug of wine would be nice but not necessary.

We mentioned this to a Canadian friend once when she asked what we were having for supper (tea) and she turned her nose up saying she'd never heard of such a meal. Any way she must have thought about it because a couple of weeks later she told us she'd tried it on her family and they loved it.
Mmmmmmm. We don't do fried egg and chips v often (well, not nearly as often as I'd like) but we have just introduced our son to the delights of a boiled egg (runny yolk) with marmite soldiers. It's always been a traditional Sunday evening "high tea" in my family; OH embraced the tradition before we were married. The boy was a bit reluctant (Blleeeeuuuuggghhh. I don't like dippy eggs) until we pointed out that if he finished it all up he was allowed to turn the eggshell over in the eggcup, draw a face on it in crayon, then bash its head in with his spoon. Now the "naughty smacky egg people" make an appearance every Sunday!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Egg & chips, one of my favourites. Bangers and mash with fried onions too.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:05 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a gravy fan and the instant stuff is great for pie and mash (although a proper liquor and vinegar would go down a real treat!). The instant stuff is great for gravy dinners that hasn't got roasting meat juices in it, so grilled chicken and veg with mash etc.

Beef OXO cubes are also used to add flavour to stew, bolognese, cottage pie, chilli etc - same as using stock without the extra liquid.

Chicken OXO for casseroles and for crumbling in water for rice/pasta for flavour i.e. chicken oxo, rice, peas, onions, sweetcorn, herbs, salt and pepper and you have rice with the veggies that otherwise may not be eaten

And of course is you have a nice gravy dinner (roast is best) a bit of bread and gravy is dessert. Same as if you have chips - you have to save enough chips to slap in between a bit of bread and butter.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

I hadn't heard that one before! I'm never eating gravy ever, ever, ever again! Ever!

I thought you should use the veg water rather than the spud water I do agree though sauce with bangers and mash
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by boxerdog03

I thought you should use the veg water rather than the spud water I do agree though sauce with bangers and mash
The spud water has more starch in it to help along with the Bisto or flour, thicken the gravy

That's what my mum and my wifes mum told us.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:08 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby's favourite dinner egg'n'chips and extra special if he gets sausages too! I get grumpy if I overcook or break the eggy - hubby is just egg mad and will eat them however they come!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Does the rest of Canada have that classic 'The roast turkey sandwich'? Roast turkey, twixt two slices of white bread, covered in gravy (generally of the instant and somewhat bizzarely 'Beef' flavour) and served with chips? Or is it just a Newfoundland (Canada's most obsese province) thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.