British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   gravy... I don't get it... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/gravy-i-dont-get-508801/)

hot wasabi peas Jan 24th 2008 3:49 pm

gravy... I don't get it...

I see so many references to gravy on here.

Obviously my grub must be very different as I eat gravy maybe twice a year, if that. It's always made by someone else.

What are you eating that you put gravy on? What is the appeal of instant gravy?

Beebop Jan 24th 2008 3:55 pm

Re: gravy... I don't get it...

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas (Post 5833910)

Obviously my grub must be very different as I eat gravy maybe twice a year, if that. It's always made by someone else.

Traditional grub.....it's the "meat and two veg" thing.....always with a nice, brown gravy.

I didn't get to see a main meal that didn't involve a piece of meat, some boiled veg and tatties until I'd left home. Not really eaten roasts on a regular basis since.

Madmac Jan 24th 2008 3:55 pm

As a disguise for the taste of the bland food underneath?

iaink Jan 24th 2008 3:56 pm

What, you dont eat poutine three times a week? Some canadian your are!

Chicken mostly....cos it compensates for an otherwise dried out bird. Instants OK if you are just doing a breast or half chicken and there isnt enough juice (or time) to do it properly. Its really a pale imitation though.

Atlantic Xpat Jan 24th 2008 3:57 pm

IWhat are you eating that you put gravy on? What is the appeal of instant gravy?

Gravy only required on roasts and sausages and mash IMHO. Instant gravy has no appeal to me whatsoever. I make my own with juices from the pan, some stock, red wine, herbs, and bit of flour for thickening*

* A source of some debate in our house. Mrs AX likes gravy that you can cut with a knife. I prefer a darker, liquid 'jus';)

Greenhill Jan 24th 2008 3:57 pm

We eat chip gravy butties, three times a day. This delicacy, likely originating in Newcastle, was designed as the "fast food for the working classes" following the migration of sheep to Scotland.

Coffeepot Jan 24th 2008 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 5833958)
Gravy only required on roasts and sausages and mash IMHO. Instant gravy has no appeal to me whatsoever. I make my own with juices from the pan, some stock, red wine, herbs, and bit of flour for thickening*

* A source of some debate in our house. Mrs AX likes gravy that you can cut with a knife. I prefer a darker, liquid 'jus';)

Real gravy like yours is more a sauce than instant muck, OH makes fab gravy same as you do mmmmmmmmmmmmm;)

Tuppence Jan 24th 2008 4:23 pm

It's great on chips, sausage and mash, and you need it really thick for a roast dinner. The instant granules are perfect for throwing into a beef stew (cooked in tinned tomatoes) at the very last minute to add some beefyness and thickness to the sauce :thumbup:

Can't be faffed with making it from scratch or using Bisto powder. Stick the kettle on, granules in jug with Oxo cube (can't get those here either :thumbdown:), water in, Bob's your uncle.

L'il Bear Jan 24th 2008 4:30 pm

What are you eating that you put gravy on?

Roasts, toad-in-the-hole and BREAD to mop it all up. Yum :p My mum sent me some oxo over in a care package for Christmas - Happy days :D

Elaine B. Jan 24th 2008 5:10 pm

I don't get it either:confused: Mind you I am a vegetarian. (Oops I said too much I believe that's still illegal in some parts of Canada;))

iaink Jan 24th 2008 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 5834264)
I don't get it either:confused: Mind you I am a vegetarian. (Oops I said too much I believe that's still illegal in some parts of Canada;))

Instant Bisto is ideal then...

Corn starch, Caramel, Salt, Wheat starch, Soya flour, Hydrolyzed plant protein,Torula yeast, Carrot and Onion powders.

Aint nothing that used to breathe on that list.....

hot wasabi peas Jan 24th 2008 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Madmac (Post 5833945)
As a disguise for the taste of the bland food underneath?

But there are other sauces, some even requiring less effort than instant gravy.

I think there must be crystal meth in it. Seriously, read some of the gravy threads with that thought in mind... :ohmy:

:lol:

Elaine B. Jan 24th 2008 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 5834272)
Instant Bisto is ideal then...

Corn starch, Caramel, Salt, Wheat starch, Soya flour, Hydrolyzed plant protein,Torula yeast, Carrot and Onion powders.

Aint nothing that used to breathe on that list.....

sound lovely!:eek:

hot wasabi peas Jan 24th 2008 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 5833949)
What, you dont eat poutine three times a week? Some canadian your are!

I'm still digesting the poutine that I ate ten years ago!

hot wasabi peas Jan 24th 2008 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 5834264)

I think that's definitely part of it. Up until recently I had been a vegetarian for 20 some odd years. Still, my friends and family (in Canada) who eat meat, don't eat much gravy at all either. I'll ask them why.