British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/gozits-ultimate-smartphone-buying-guide-sept-2014-a-843482/)

Gozit Sep 20th 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Originally Posted by prairiechicken (Post 11412754)
I've heard the iphone 6 plus is a bit big...

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/0B1AC...8r6cLJzbi988zw

:lol:
The 6 plus is a bit too big. The 6 is juuust right.

mandymoochops Sep 20th 2014 12:55 pm

kids can't communicate nowadays because everything is instant.

Remeber going to school and discussing last nights totp.?

Telling your mates how that cute boy looked at you when you were walking home.

Moaning about your parents not allowing you to use the phone to call your best friend with the reason "you've only just seen her at school and you'll see her tomorrow"

That doesn't happen now because as soon as something occurs, everyones on their phones sharing it. so there becomes absolutely nothing to talk about, thats why they have to stay on their phones to find out whats happening right now.

Gozit Sep 20th 2014 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11412684)
Gozit, Gozit, Gozit, nobody gives a shit.

We're on BE, not on the Which Smartphone Makes a Maltese Cross network.

Clearly either
a) You do, because you replied:sneaky:
OR
b) You've got too much time on your hands, so you read it anyways. Meaning some ounce of you might give a shit ;)

:p

sharkus Sep 20th 2014 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11412683)
For those deciding between the Samsung S5 and the iPhone 6.

I have the S5. I love it for a multitude of reasons. Bigger screen, swype keyboard, .

You do know that with iOS 8 (which the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus ships with) there is the ability to add additional keyboards, including swipe?

moneypenny20 Sep 20th 2014 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11412389)
How did you know that? :sneaky:

It was a guess really from the bit in your OP which stated you'd done it in a boring class.;)

Novocastrian Sep 20th 2014 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11412787)
Clearly either
a) You do, because you replied.
OR
b) You've got too much time on your hands, so you read it anyways. Meaning some ounce of you might give a shit ;)

No. I'm just trying to help you grow up since you are on the site anyway. People helping people innit?

Yes, I do have too much time on my hands these days, but only because I don't have a smartphone. Not even a simple cellphone.

I suggest you try it. You might find all sorts of things to think about.

Gozit Sep 20th 2014 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 11412806)
You do know that with iOS 8 (which the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus ships with) there is the ability to add additional keyboards, including swipe?

I did, but wasn't sure how good it was.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11412821)
It was a guess really from the bit in your OP which stated you'd done it in a boring class.;)

Right, that ;)

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11412828)
No. I'm just trying to help you grow up since you are on the site anyway. People helping people innit?

Yes, I do have too much time on my hands these days, but only because I don't have a smartphone. Not even a simple cellphone.

It was meant tongue in cheek, hence all the smilies :)

But nah I rather enjoy my smartphone ;)

Shard Sep 20th 2014 6:45 pm

I think smartphones as a product must soon be entering the maturity phase. There is very little else to add or improve upon, and they will become a commodity item like laptops now or PCs before them. The manufacturers will keep hyping minor improvements, but essentially they are fully baked now.

Sally Redux Sep 20th 2014 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11412828)

That is unrealistic for the young people now.

It's quite fascinating really, as Mandy mentioned the social dynamics are totally different.

Beaverstate Sep 20th 2014 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11412948)

It's quite fascinating really, as Mandy mentioned the social dynamics are totally different.

When I was a young teen we didn't have smart phones just Gilligan's Island reruns....Ahhh Mary Ann.

Gozit Sep 21st 2014 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11412919)
I think smartphones as a product must soon be entering the maturity phase. There is very little else to add or improve upon, and they will become a commodity item like laptops now or PCs before them. The manufacturers will keep hyping minor improvements, but essentially they are fully baked now.

I agree. Its more of the same thing, just bigger screens, faster processors, etc. Same "improvements" every time. But being a curious tech nerd, i'll buy them anyway :D

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11412948)

I'd even argue that its unrealistic for most adults as well.

Sally Redux Sep 21st 2014 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11413164)

I'd even argue that its unrealistic for most adults as well.

I can give up BE ANY TIME I LIKE.

http://www.jlcauvin.com/wp-content/u...2009/04/lb.bmp

Gozit Sep 21st 2014 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11413170)
I can give up BE ANY TIME I LIKE.

Yeah right ;)

Oink Sep 21st 2014 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11412919)

You're right they're really quite dull. I've lost about eight in two years. Fortunately, for me, they're really lost, rather than mislaid or stolen. That said, you'd think they'd of come up with something a bit posher by now. Smart phones are so 2009, I'd rather have a sausage roll.

Shard Sep 21st 2014 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11413202)
You're right they're really quite dull. I've lost about eight in two years. Fortunately, for me, they're really lost, rather than mislaid or stolen. That said, you'd think they'd of come up with something a bit posher by now. Smart phones are so 2009, I'd rather have a sausage roll.

I got my first smartphone in Jan 2009 and they had already been around for a bit then. Dunno how you can lose eight in two years, it must have something to do with boats or alcohol or possibly both!