Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gozit's ultimate smartphone buying guide - Sept 2014

I only got my first smartphone in April 2010, so I've technically only been smartphone engrossed for 4.5yrs
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:19 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

My ancient 4 is basically used as a large Ipod that also does text and internet.
Usually in that order.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
My ancient 4 is basically used as a large Ipod that also does text and internet.
Usually in that order.
Same with all my smartphones. Hence why I want to try the data only plan with the 6.........
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I got my first smartphone in Jan 2009 and they had already been around for a bit then. Dunno how you can lose eight in two years, it must have something to do with boats or alcohol or possibly both!
Old Sep 21st 2014, 7:08 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Ham-handed.

hahaha

Originally Posted by Oink
Old Sep 21st 2014, 7:16 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 21st 2014, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm genuinely curious - where do teenagers get all this money from? Both for the gadgets and the plans superior to any reasonable usage requirements (not sure why unlimited data is required on a device that can use the household wifi for example...) They can't be working, because they're spending all of their time on Facebook and questionable internet fora - do the parents cough up? How do the parents afford it? I know I couldn't...
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:16 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
^^ unschool them

And the age of FB accounts isn't going to do anything. I got mine when I was 10 and just faked my year of birth.
FFS we are not having this unschooling conversation again. :P

I definitely still think kids should be sent to school etc, what I meant was that today it's just incessant, there was an escape when you came home from school. My bullying was only during school hours. I had a respite when I came home. Now it's 24/7. That terrifies me.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I have a 14 year old and a 12 year old... neither have TVs or computers in their bedrooms, and their smartphones MUST be left downstairs at night when they go up to bed.

They survive.
Quite right. Our first family computer was in the basement, in a big open space, and often my aprents would watch TV in the basement and they could see the screen. There was no secrecy with the computer. I did eventually get a computer in my room but mainly because I was a huge nerd as a kid and practically begged for it - it did NOT have internet or anything on it. I use it to write school reports etc. (And I messed around with all the settings, hehe.)

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
kids can't communicate nowadays because everything is instant.

Remeber going to school and discussing last nights totp.?

Telling your mates how that cute boy looked at you when you were walking home.

Moaning about your parents not allowing you to use the phone to call your best friend with the reason "you've only just seen her at school and you'll see her tomorrow"

That doesn't happen now because as soon as something occurs, everyones on their phones sharing it. so there becomes absolutely nothing to talk about, thats why they have to stay on their phones to find out whats happening right now.
This is totally true. Two thoughts to add.

First, there's no concept of 'researching' anything anymore, or having conversations debating a particular topic. There's no curiosity anymore. Have a question about something? Just google it and get the answer in 4 seconds. No one has to remember anything anymore. "Who was in that movie?" and then a big roundabout trying to figure it out... now it's just "oh, google it." I'm not even that old, and I remember going to the library and looking things up in the encyclopedia for projects etc. Those days are gone.

Second, people tend to live their lives through their phone, and honestly, it's just sad. People are obsessed with taking pictures of where they are and then sharing it immediately, instead of enjoying it. I remember being in London for New Years a few years ago, watching the gorgeous fireworks display ... and then I looked around and there's everyone taking pictures and videos of the fireworks, and watching them through their screens... the pictures and videos turn out awful anyway (and who wants 500 pics of fireworks?!), and then they just end up missing it! There's something to be said for the days of film, where you got to take 24 pictures, so you had to pick and choose what 24 pictures were worth taking.

Originally Posted by Gozit
I only got my first smartphone in April 2010, so I've technically only been smartphone engrossed for 4.5yrs
Christ... that means you got your first phone when you were 10 and a half. I got my first cell when I was 16 - a very basic one, at that. I had to bargain with my parents to get it. I was a nerdy kid, so I was actually pretty interested in the gadgetry side of it... I struck a deal with my parents that if I finished Grade 10 with a 90 average, that I'd get a cell phone. I got a 91, and Dad took me out the day after report cards came home to get my new phone. I had this bad boy:

Snicker. Awesome.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 2:01 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Love the 5190, I had one in blue as my first phone, was great.

I think kids are far too connected (in the sense of device to device stuff) and that's not good. It could be progress in some ways, but not in a lot of others.

I do like my iPhone 5S, particularly the camera. I'm not into selfies, I'm not that vain nor an attention whore, it's for taking pictures of my son when we are out and about. Not everywhere we go, and not all the time, but when a moment presents itself, I'll snap a couple of pictures. If we're out on a trip then it saves having to take a camera with me as I already have one on my phone. In addition, I don't have a landline anymore, so my phone is my primary contact method, be it ye olde style phone call (I wonder if kids know what a phone call is? ), or text / email.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
I'm genuinely curious - where do teenagers get all this money from? Both for the gadgets and the plans superior to any reasonable usage requirements (not sure why unlimited data is required on a device that can use the household wifi for example...) They can't be working, because they're spending all of their time on Facebook and questionable internet fora - do the parents cough up? How do the parents afford it? I know I couldn't...
You just have to cough up. And they're not even nice to you.
Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly

First, there's no concept of 'researching' anything anymore, or having conversations debating a particular topic. There's no curiosity anymore. Have a question about something? Just google it and get the answer in 4 seconds. No one has to remember anything anymore. "Who was in that movie?" and then a big roundabout trying to figure it out... now it's just "oh, google it." I'm not even that old, and I remember going to the library and looking things up in the encyclopedia for projects etc. Those days are gone.
What I find surprising about my kids is that they have access to the whole world's information, but are stupendously poorly informed on current affairs and, well, most things really.

Also, although everyone has smartphones, they can never organise social events.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:17 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

What I find surprising about my kids is that they have access to the whole world's information, but are stupendously poorly informed on current affairs and, well, most things really.

...but were you well informed on current affairs at their age? Surely they have more pressing things to concern themselves with!
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
...but were you well informed on current affairs at their age? Surely they have more pressing things to concern themselves with!
I am talking about the most basic knowledge about how the world works - yes I was much better informed than they are.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dashie
My mum and dad pay the whopping $72.50/month mobile bill. In exchange, I call in about once a month to loyalty&retentions, and try to lower that bill and/or get more features for the same price. But I buy my new phone(s) when I want them. The money comes from savings, which comes from xmas gifts, the crapload of $$ I got from my confirmation (only benefit of having an excessively religious grandmother ).

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
FFS we are not having this unschooling conversation again. :P

today it's just incessant, there was an escape when you came home from school. My bullying was only during school hours. I had a respite when I came home. Now it's 24/7. That terrifies me.
I agree :-(

Quite right. Our first family computer was in the basement, in a big open space, and often my aprents would watch TV in the basement and they could see the screen. There was no secrecy with the computer. I did eventually get a computer in my room but mainly because I was a huge nerd as a kid and practically begged for it - it did NOT have internet or anything on it. I use it to write school reports etc. (And I messed around with all the settings, hehe.)
We had this too. In our old house when I was quite small we had dial up internet. Then we got cable internet and one laptop. After a few years I begged and begged and got my own laptop (which my brother started to use all the time, grr , but then I got another one ) and a Wi-Fi router (the bad boy WRT54G )

This is totally true. Two thoughts to add.

Really helps with stupid courses where I can't be arsed to care enough.

Second, people tend to live their lives through their phone, and honestly, it's just sad. People are obsessed with taking pictures of where they are and then sharing it immediately, instead of enjoying it. I remember being in London for New Years a few years ago, watching the gorgeous fireworks display ... and then I looked around and there's everyone taking pictures and videos of the fireworks, and watching them through their screens... the pictures and videos turn out awful anyway (and who wants 500 pics of fireworks?!), and then they just end up missing it! There's something to be said for the days of film, where you got to take 24 pictures, so you had to pick and choose what 24 pictures were worth taking.
With all my smartphones and gadgets, I am NOT like this. I hate taking pictures unless I truly think "yeah this is worth it" . My camera roll is filled with screenshots of funny posts on FB and tumblr My parents got pretty irate when I came home from Malta with about 50 pictures, and from new York with maybe 25.

Christ... that means you got your first phone when you were 10 and a half. I got my first cell when I was 16 - a very basic one, at that. I had to bargain with my parents to get it. I was a nerdy kid, so I was actually pretty interested in the gadgetry side of it... I struck a deal with my parents that if I finished Grade 10 with a 90 average, that I'd get a cell phone. I got a 91, and Dad took me out the day after report cards came home to get my new phone. I had this bad boy:

http://sim-unlock.net/foto/16_25_57_Nokia_5190.jpg

Snicker. Awesome.
No no, when I was 10 and a half, I got my first smartphone. iPhone 3GS
About 2 years prior to that, I got my first phone, a Samsung flip phone. My parents were going to make me keep the flip phone but then they realised that
a) They'd have to ask me how to use their shiny iPhones half the time anyways
and b) I'd always be pestering them to use theirs instead of my crappy flip phone so they got me one too.

As for 90 averages in exchange for items, I've given up on that. I find it easier to just buy it myself
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

I am a perfect example of the contrary. But I know I'm in the very small minority when it comes to people my age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.