goslings ginger beer

Old Jan 18th 2015, 12:05 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default goslings ginger beer

Just before xmas I picked up a 6-pack of this stuff from Freshco out of curiosity. I'm finding dark & stormies (rum and ginger beer to the uninitiated) and essential part of winter defense these days; and this stuff was absolutely perfect. Branded after Goslings rum but made somewhere in New Jersey.

So I was pretty gutted to find it missing from the shelves this weekend- the richmond hill Freshco didn't have either.

Any sightings or suggestions? The Grace stuff really catches the back of the throat and the PC one is good but only comes in 2L bottles (and it's not cider FFS
Old Jan 18th 2015, 2:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: goslings ginger beer

I've seen (and tried) smaller bottles of supposedly Jamaican Ginger Beer. Sobeys/Superstore.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 2:56 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

RCSS / Loblaws has some stuff, might be the Jamaican Ginger Beer mentioned above, and it's pretty good.

I did see something in Longo's the other day, but cannot remember the name, was tempted buy it, and may well grab some later.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 5:29 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

The smaller bottles are typically Grace- that's fairly easy to find- but it is sharp.

With the relative pricing it makes sense to buy a 2L placcy for a buck and just tip half of it away, but I hate doing that, and storage is an issue. A 6 pack gets pretty hefty!
Old Jan 18th 2015, 5:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
With the relative pricing it makes sense to buy a 2L placcy for a buck and just tip half of it away, but I hate doing that
You mean because it goes flat? Have you tried standing those big bottles upside down? I do it and it definitely helps.

Once we get to around half left, I store the bottle upside down - in the fridge door - and it takes much longer to go flat.

In time it does go flat and it obviously depends how long you leave it for. But I reckon to get at least three-quarters still lively.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:32 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You mean because it goes flat? Have you tried standing those big bottles upside down? I do it and it definitely helps.

Once we get to around half left, I store the bottle upside down - in the fridge door - and it takes much longer to go flat.

In time it does go flat and it obviously depends how long you leave it for. But I reckon to get at least three-quarters still lively.
Never thought of that!

As a kid my parents made their own ginger beer, that's something I could consider too.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Now I have to buy ginger beer - a change is as good as a rest.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 4:34 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Never thought of that!
I don't know why anyone would think of it. It was just something I read once - something to do with the shape of the bottom of the bottle - and it worked.

You can even feel the difference in the bottle when you pick it up from its upside down position. It's not soft like it usually is after opening.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 5:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't put pop in the fridge, it makes it go flat.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
RCSS / Loblaws has some stuff, might be the Jamaican Ginger Beer mentioned above, and it's pretty good.
Superstore's own brand? I seem to remember someone here calling it 'the soft drink equivalent of paint stripper', which seems a fairly good description to me, and expected given it's only about $0.80 for a 2L bottle. My biggest complaint is that it seems excessively gassy.

They have a couple of varieties of higher-quality stuff, but I don't remember who makes them.

I've also got a can of some kind of alcoholic ginger beer in the fridge, which I haven't had a good excuse to drink yet.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 8:25 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Oink
You shouldn't put pop in the fridge, it makes it go flat.
Nah, opening it makes it go flat. Best not to open it.

If you want it chilled, the alternative is using ice and making it watery.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 2:03 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Nah, opening it makes it go flat. Best not to open it.
If I'd done this In wouldn't have run out of Goslings!
Old Jan 20th 2015, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

I keep reading this title as "Goslings ginger beard"