Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Good tip for saving money in TO Star column

Good tip for saving money in TO Star column

Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:18 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good tip for saving money in TO Star column

"Ask for a cup of hot water. Okay, this might be a little drastic for some of you, but I think it's brilliant. While my friends buy $5 lattes at coffee shops, or spend even $2 on tea, I just ask for a cup of hot water and bring my own tea bag. That way, I can still go out and be social with my friends, but I don't have to spend any money doing it."

Nothing wrong with being careful!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:25 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good tip for saving money in TO Star column

Remember to take a small ziploc baggy too to put the tea bag in afterwards, then you can reuse it later without it staining your pockets
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:30 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh heck, I did that every day at work before moving to Canada. I only wanted a morning brew, not a mochachocafrotha concoction made with hand scrubbed beans from Columbia. So I brought a tea bag and purchased a 15p cup of hot water. I should point out that I was saving hard for the move to Canada while also renovating a house, I'm not a complete miserly git.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:34 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Oh heck, I did that every day at work before moving to Canada. I only wanted a morning brew, not a mochachocafrotha concoction made with hand scrubbed beans from Columbia. So I brought a tea bag and purchased a 15p cup of hot water. I should point out that I was saving hard for the move to Canada while also renovating a house, I'm not a complete miserly git.
Ah, but you purchased the hot water. I think that is a bit of a cop-out.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Ah, but you purchased the hot water. I think that is a bit of a cop-out.
I see what you are saying, but I assure you, I made full use of the milk and sugar on offer and sometimes I even snagged a paper napkin to set the soggy tea bag on. Ha, that'll teach them with their elitist coffee.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:48 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken to stealing plastic bags when the cashier isn't looking , now that they charge 5 cents for them, my supply of garbage bags has nearly dried up
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:54 pm

I should point out that I was saving hard for the move to Canada while also renovating a house,
I do think it's great that you were saving towards living the dream
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I do think it's great that you were saving towards living the dream
Absolutely. When you put your mind to it the sky is the limit and, with hard work and determination, you can reach your goals.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. When you put your mind to it the sky is the limit and, with hard work and determination, you can reach your goals.
I'm so pleased you are doing this for the future of your children
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppence
*Chokes* Catch yourself on, woman!

Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
At some time in the future, you will have to sit down with your daughter and say: 'Honey, we chose the life of plaid for you. Forgive us.'
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
At some time in the future, you will have to sit down with your daughter and say: 'Honey, we chose the life of plaid for you. Forgive us.'
Hopefully she will have made good use of the passport and gone off to be a dental surgeon or something in the US, and is keeping us in the manner to which I would like to become accustomed
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Remember to take a small ziploc baggy too to put the tea bag in afterwards, then you can reuse it later without it staining your pockets
Do people really recycle teabags other than my (slightly mad) mum-in-law? She places them on the side an absolutely forbids anyone to throw them out! Grim ...

Anyway, I have a new travel mug for coffee refills. That saves a buck or two here and there
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:57 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you are saying, but I assure you, I made full use of the milk and sugar on offer and sometimes I even snagged a paper napkin to set the soggy tea bag on. Ha, that'll teach them with their elitist coffee.
I save all of the girls hair when I cut it & use it to stuff the cushions I make from the hand towels I steal from friends bathrooms.

Syphoning gas from the neighbours cars can save a fortune & they never miss the odd log from their woodpile, the trick is to limit yourself to just three or four logs per neighbour per week..

Feeding the dogs roadkill saves as much as $40 a month..

I always pay for coffee but I do make a point of stealing all of the toilet paper from the washrooms..
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
I save all of the girls hair when I cut it & use it to stuff the cushions I make from the hand towels I steal from friends bathrooms.

Syphoning gas from the neighbours cars can save a fortune & they never miss the odd log from their woodpile, the trick is to limit yourself to just three or four logs per neighbour per week..

Feeding the dogs roadkill saves as much as $40 a month..

I always pay for coffee but I do make a point of stealing all of the toilet paper from the washrooms..
All fantastic advice! I wonder why no one consulted BE before writing the article in the Star? I think this should all go in the Wiki.

On a serious note, I did once steal toilet paper because I ran out and payday wasn't for another few days. I nabbed it from college because it presented the least chance of being caught.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.