Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Good Music Thread

The Good Music Thread

Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:44 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Good Music Thread

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I had forgotten about The Boss; I don't quite know how.

This has to be my favourite track of his. It goes on a bit, but I believe it is pure gold. I don't usually like it when artists tell stories but this one is great.
Brilliant song from The Boss. Buying that live album now!

Here's a very mellow but beautiful track from (ahem, cough, cough) Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits)...

Old Jan 16th 2013, 3:19 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

If you liked Jack White and/or White Stripes, you may like these.

The Black Keys

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Sons and Daughters

Kasabian
Old Jan 16th 2013, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Brilliant song from The Boss. Buying that live album now!

Here's a very mellow but beautiful track from (ahem, cough, cough) Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits)...
I have had that album for sometime. It is fantastic.

Here's another from it:

I like that one from Knopfler. Mr. Knopfler supported IIRC Dylan in Calgary recently. Dylan was slated, Knopfler was praised. I enjoyed his time with the Notting Hillbillies. Missing ... Presumed Innocent is great. Here's a flavour:

Old Jan 16th 2013, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I have to remember not to think of Dumb & Dumber every time I hear this. Great song though:

Old Jan 16th 2013, 3:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I booked Crash Test Dummies to play our club in the '80s and they stood me up. They sent the standard cassette tape with 2 or 3 songs, (the Superman Song was 1 and I think Mmmmm Mmmmm was there too), I phoned Winnipeg and made the deal for them to play for the $300 or whatever it was and then all of a sudden they got famous and the Winnipeg Folk Fest offered them more money for the same weekend so they dumped us. The way I look at it they owe us one.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by caretaker
I booked Crash Test Dummies to play our club in the '80s and they stood me up. They sent the standard cassette tape with 2 or 3 songs, (the Superman Song was 1 and I think Mmmmm Mmmmm was there too), I phoned Winnipeg and made the deal for them to play for the $300 or whatever it was and then all of a sudden they got famous and the Winnipeg Folk Fest offered them more money for the same weekend so they dumped us. The way I look at it they owe us one.
Bastards
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:40 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Went to see the "Dummies" live at a small venue before the were famous and have to admit that I can't stand that guys voice. Some of the gang at the gig liked it though.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Went to see the "Dummies" live at a small venue before the were famous and have to admit that I can't stand that guys voice. Some of the gang at the gig liked it though.
His singing voice or how he speaks?

I really like Steve Earle. There are lots of great songs that he has written.

Here are a few I like:

One about events in Ontario:

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 16th 2013 at 4:59 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I have had that album for sometime. It is fantastic.

Here's another from it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=13qyiCLCwwQ

I like that one from Knopfler. Mr. Knopfler supported IIRC Dylan in Calgary recently. Dylan was slated, Knopfler was praised. I enjoyed his time with the Notting Hillbillies. Missing ... Presumed Innocent is great. Here's a flavour:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RhactMuKnG0
Another good intro from the Boss, though on the song, would have to go with the Frankie Goes to Hollywood version (seriously).

My fave Notting Hillbillies song. As usual MK turns down his amp just as his guitar bit is getting sweet! Long time since I's seen the video though.

Steve Earle, cool, only heard the name before, but like these songs too. Thanks.

Ain't You Tube great for music !

Last edited by Shard; Jan 16th 2013 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
Another good intro from the Boss, though on the song, would have to go with the Frankie Goes to Hollywood version (seriously).

My fave Notting Hillbillies song. As usual MK turns down his amp just as his guitar bit is getting sweet! Long time since I's seen the video though.

Steve Earle, cool, only heard the name before, but like these songs too. Thanks.

Ain't You Tube great for music !
Steve Earle is a lot more "rockie" live. On albums, he comes across a bit too "country" but his lyrics are very good. His life is a good read too.

Time for a bit of Britpop me thinks

Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:57 pm
Up Your Kilt

His singing voice or how he speaks?
Singing voice
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

There's some great stuff coming up! Cheers! Jack White, Sons & Daughters, Yeah Yeah Yeahs.... all new to me! Some great classics too....

Talking of classics, who's old enough to remember this? It really was ahead of its time:

Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
There's some great stuff coming up! Cheers! Jack White, Sons & Daughters, Yeah Yeah Yeahs.... all new to me! Some great classics too....

Talking of classics, who's old enough to remember this? It really was ahead of its time:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H7r83-y3j2A
That really was ahead of its time.

As was this.

Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:38 pm
Up Your Kilt

And to toss in a mashup - Blondie VS Muse - Call Me Uprising

Better than the original
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That really was ahead of its time.

As was this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ANRPmTZRqkg
And this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.