British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The Good Music Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/good-music-thread-783822/)

Shard Jan 16th 2013 2:44 pm

Re: The Good Music Thread

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10486445)
I had forgotten about The Boss; I don't quite know how.

This has to be my favourite track of his. It goes on a bit, but I believe it is pure gold. I don't usually like it when artists tell stories but this one is great.

Brilliant song from The Boss. Buying that live album now!

Here's a very mellow but beautiful track from (ahem, cough, cough) Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits)...

Hawk13 Jan 16th 2013 3:19 pm

If you liked Jack White and/or White Stripes, you may like these.

The Black Keys

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Sons and Daughters

Kasabian

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10486563)
Brilliant song from The Boss. Buying that live album now!

Here's a very mellow but beautiful track from (ahem, cough, cough) Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits)...

I have had that album for sometime. It is fantastic.

Here's another from it:

I like that one from Knopfler. Mr. Knopfler supported IIRC Dylan in Calgary recently. Dylan was slated, Knopfler was praised. I enjoyed his time with the Notting Hillbillies. Missing ... Presumed Innocent is great. Here's a flavour:

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 3:43 pm

I have to remember not to think of Dumb & Dumber every time I hear this. Great song though:

caretaker Jan 16th 2013 3:55 pm

I booked Crash Test Dummies to play our club in the '80s and they stood me up. They sent the standard cassette tape with 2 or 3 songs, (the Superman Song was 1 and I think Mmmmm Mmmmm was there too), I phoned Winnipeg and made the deal for them to play for the $300 or whatever it was and then all of a sudden they got famous and the Winnipeg Folk Fest offered them more money for the same weekend so they dumped us. The way I look at it they owe us one.

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10486693)
I booked Crash Test Dummies to play our club in the '80s and they stood me up. They sent the standard cassette tape with 2 or 3 songs, (the Superman Song was 1 and I think Mmmmm Mmmmm was there too), I phoned Winnipeg and made the deal for them to play for the $300 or whatever it was and then all of a sudden they got famous and the Winnipeg Folk Fest offered them more money for the same weekend so they dumped us. The way I look at it they owe us one.

Bastards:thumbdown:

Hawk13 Jan 16th 2013 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10486693)

Went to see the "Dummies" live at a small venue before the were famous and have to admit that I can't stand that guys voice. Some of the gang at the gig liked it though.

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk13 (Post 10486787)
Went to see the "Dummies" live at a small venue before the were famous and have to admit that I can't stand that guys voice. Some of the gang at the gig liked it though.

His singing voice or how he speaks?

I really like Steve Earle. There are lots of great songs that he has written.

Here are a few I like:

One about events in Ontario:

Shard Jan 16th 2013 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10486667)
I have had that album for sometime. It is fantastic.

Here's another from it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=13qyiCLCwwQ

I like that one from Knopfler. Mr. Knopfler supported IIRC Dylan in Calgary recently. Dylan was slated, Knopfler was praised. I enjoyed his time with the Notting Hillbillies. Missing ... Presumed Innocent is great. Here's a flavour:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RhactMuKnG0

Another good intro from the Boss, though on the song, would have to go with the Frankie Goes to Hollywood version (seriously).

My fave Notting Hillbillies song. As usual MK turns down his amp just as his guitar bit is getting sweet! Long time since I's seen the video though.

Steve Earle, cool, only heard the name before, but like these songs too. Thanks.

Ain't You Tube great for music !

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10486878)
Another good intro from the Boss, though on the song, would have to go with the Frankie Goes to Hollywood version (seriously).

My fave Notting Hillbillies song. As usual MK turns down his amp just as his guitar bit is getting sweet! Long time since I's seen the video though.

Steve Earle, cool, only heard the name before, but like these songs too. Thanks.

Ain't You Tube great for music !

Steve Earle is a lot more "rockie" live. On albums, he comes across a bit too "country" but his lyrics are very good. His life is a good read too.

Time for a bit of Britpop me thinks

Hawk13 Jan 16th 2013 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10486819)
His singing voice or how he speaks?

Singing voice

geedee Jan 16th 2013 8:53 pm

There's some great stuff coming up! Cheers! Jack White, Sons & Daughters, Yeah Yeah Yeahs.... all new to me! Some great classics too....

Talking of classics, who's old enough to remember this? It really was ahead of its time:

Oink Jan 16th 2013 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 10487326)
There's some great stuff coming up! Cheers! Jack White, Sons & Daughters, Yeah Yeah Yeahs.... all new to me! Some great classics too....

Talking of classics, who's old enough to remember this? It really was ahead of its time:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H7r83-y3j2A

That really was ahead of its time.

As was this.

Hawk13 Jan 16th 2013 9:38 pm

And to toss in a mashup - Blondie VS Muse - Call Me Uprising

Better than the original

Alan2005 Jan 16th 2013 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10487353)
That really was ahead of its time.

As was this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ANRPmTZRqkg

And this