British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The Good Music Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/good-music-thread-783822/)

geedee Jan 15th 2013 4:55 am

The Good Music Thread

Just for fun.... post here your favourite music vids / tracks. However, lets make a rule that you cannot post unless you make a critical comment about one of the previous entries, otherwise it just gets to be a long boring string of YouTube clips.

Starting off (don't forget, before you can post, you have to review one of the above!):

mandymoochops Jan 15th 2013 6:17 am

Re: The Good Music Thread

I'll play .........

Regarding Adele, certainly not my taste in music and tbh I couldn't stand hearing this song - total overkill - coupled with the fact that when she became well known, all you heard on the radio was "isn't it great that people with a fuller figure are getting exposure."

No, no it isn't - if you can sing you can sing - what the hell does it matter if you're fat or not. That really used to piss me off.

Then I saw her interviewed on Jonathon Ross and changed my opinion of her personally (I find her very funny), but her music :thumbdown: no thanks.

Ok here's my pick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD6sMFyUtNk

mandymoochops Jan 15th 2013 6:23 am

right now thats pissing me off, how do you put your little video clip in your post :frown:

Atlantic Xpat Jan 15th 2013 11:47 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 10483500)
right now thats pissing me off, how do you put your little video clip in your post :frown:

Clicky on the little movie reel icon, 15th from the left. That produces a pop up box where you copy the link to your you tube video into. Job's a good 'un.

Greenhill Jan 15th 2013 11:56 am

Regarding Adele - Rolling in the deep.

Nice song, sung with a powerful voice but shamefully let down by an amateurish video. Whoever edited that sequence together was really struggling to put Adele in a good light, and you can really tell. Zoom in, zoom out, pan, insert clip of dancer in the dust. Glasses of water? I had no idea what the song was about but if the there was a story to be told then, the video missed this opportunity. A fragmented, wasted opportunity.

Here's a WTF? video to contrast with:

Dave n Ailsa Jan 15th 2013 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 10483887)
Regarding Adele - Rolling in the deep.

Nice song, sung with a powerful voice but shamefully let down by an amateurish video. Whoever edited that sequence together was really struggling to put Adele in a good light, and you can really tell. Zoom in, zoom out, pan, insert clip of dancer in the dust. Glasses of water? I had no idea what the song was about but if the there was a story to be told then, the video missed this opportunity. A fragmented, wasted opportunity.

Here's a WTF? video to contrast with:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g

Well, that was mildly disturbing, lol. Pretty good video all the same.

Here's my choice. I never get tired of listening to this:

Dotty P Jan 15th 2013 12:56 pm

I can't open these videos on this stupid iPad :blink: - is it something to do with Flash? iPad's are useless!

Alan2005 Jan 15th 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 10483887)

I fail to see the wtf'ness about that.

Anyway, classic DM

Shard Jan 15th 2013 3:24 pm

Adele's song is so great that, for me, the video is irrelevant.

Some good music from 2012...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo

Couldn't understand AtlanticExpat's instruction? What little movie reel?

Almost Canadian Jan 15th 2013 3:39 pm

I believe I would like Adele if I had access to British radio, but she gets way too much airplay over here for me to be able to control my rage each time her songs, Pink's and Lady Gaga's rotate.

I like this one:

I like this version of it too:

Almost Canadian Jan 15th 2013 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10484284)
Couldn't understand AtlanticExpat's instruction? What little movie reel?

When you are posting a reply, it is one of the icons just below the redo button above where you type your text.

Shard Jan 15th 2013 3:57 pm

Second try at inserting a video.

Some vintage Canadian rock this time !

Londonuck Jan 15th 2013 5:47 pm

Good carefree days in 80's England

Canuck74 Jan 15th 2013 5:52 pm

Early 80's England:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMm6uDe9oHA

Londonuck Jan 15th 2013 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Canuck74 (Post 10484630)

Haa brilliant C74. Like the Cockney Rejects.

Now back to your revision son!

geedee Jan 15th 2013 8:52 pm

Some good stuff in there.... the thread will be more interesting though if you comment on the video immediately preceding your offering.... as I'm not posting another yet, I don't have to, but if I was I should have made a comment about Canuck74's entry, "The Ejected". Londonuck did, but didn't post another entry.... so, that can now be left to the next poster....

It's not that clear, is it???

Hawk13 Jan 15th 2013 9:32 pm

Prydein's Loud Pipes (save lives): Bagpipe Rock

or anything by Jack White

Greenhill Jan 15th 2013 9:38 pm

Influenced by the Clash but able to make White Riot sound like a slow dance :ohmy:

Originally Posted by Canuck74 (Post 10484630)

geedee Jan 16th 2013 2:26 am

Oh, I like that Jack White... never heard of him before.

Clash... classic track!

Here's another:

BristolUK Jan 16th 2013 3:26 am

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 10485484)

Jack White of The White Stripes.

Oink Jan 16th 2013 3:33 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 10485534)
Jack White of The White Stripes.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7OyytKqYjkE

I think the White Stripes are a bit too stripey.

PeterF Jan 16th 2013 3:37 am

Gordon is a moron, remember that well, knew a Gordon at the time too.

I heard Taddy Porter on a Texas radio while making my way to a job in New Mexico a few years back, good new band.

ab=nd if your going to show White Stripes (Jack White) then you can't miss out this

PeterF Jan 16th 2013 3:46 am

And one back from my youth

Shard Jan 16th 2013 8:45 am

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 10485484)
Clash... classic track!
Here's another:

Fleetwood Mac Dreams. Fantastic. FM and Stevie were in their prime in that video.

I also did not know Jack White until recently, but he keeps company with the gods, so must be quite good...

cjones Jan 16th 2013 9:34 am

The only possible response to that clip is this one.

Dave n Ailsa Jan 16th 2013 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10485962)
Fleetwood Mac Dreams. Fantastic. FM and Stevie were in their prime in that video.

I also did not know Jack White until recently, but he keeps company with the gods, so must be quite good...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ODidAgdL40Y

LEGEND! all of them, lol

Turning into a great thread, well done.

Ok, here's one I got hooked on when I bought "The Sopranos" soundtrack..

I just wish it went on for a bit longer, seems like half a song

caretaker Jan 16th 2013 11:39 am

Not a big Springsteen fan actually, what I was hoping for was the opening theme (woke up this mornin). Oh well, in keeping with the current theme, (artists named Bruce), I shall attempt to upload a piece by Bruce Daigrepont in the original French. Novocastrian, would behaviour like this indicate it's in southern France?:)

Monique_in_Canada Jan 16th 2013 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dotty P (Post 10484017)
I can't open these videos on this stupid iPad :blink: - is it something to do with Flash? iPad's are useless!

they work on my ipad and iphone.....u prolly don't have youtube installed!!

dbd33 Jan 16th 2013 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10486221)
Not a big Springsteen fan actually, what I was hoping for was the opening theme (woke up this mornin). Oh well, in keeping with the current theme, (artists named Bruce), I shall attempt to upload a piece by Bruce Daigrepont in the original French. Novocastrian, would behaviour like this indicate it's in southern France?:)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jo14QQJ11VI&sns=em

I heard Alain Stivell on the radio one morning recently. "Poor Novo" I thought, that'll be the band in his local.

(Well, first I thought "**** John Peel, he hyped some awful crap on to the wireless" but I banished that thought as being politically incorrect.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sdXJiKsQrI

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 1:48 pm

I had forgotten about The Boss; I don't quite know how.

This has to be my favourite track of his. It goes on a bit, but I believe it is pure gold. I don't usually like it when artists tell stories but this one is great.

I hope you enjoy it:

Shard Jan 16th 2013 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10486445)
I had forgotten about The Boss; I don't quite know how.

This has to be my favourite track of his. It goes on a bit, but I believe it is pure gold. I don't usually like it when artists tell stories but this one is great.

Brilliant song from The Boss. Buying that live album now!

Here's a very mellow but beautiful track from (ahem, cough, cough) Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits)...

Hawk13 Jan 16th 2013 3:19 pm

If you liked Jack White and/or White Stripes, you may like these.

The Black Keys

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Sons and Daughters

Kasabian

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10486563)
Brilliant song from The Boss. Buying that live album now!

Here's a very mellow but beautiful track from (ahem, cough, cough) Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits)...

I have had that album for sometime. It is fantastic.

Here's another from it:

I like that one from Knopfler. Mr. Knopfler supported IIRC Dylan in Calgary recently. Dylan was slated, Knopfler was praised. I enjoyed his time with the Notting Hillbillies. Missing ... Presumed Innocent is great. Here's a flavour:

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 3:43 pm

I have to remember not to think of Dumb & Dumber every time I hear this. Great song though:

caretaker Jan 16th 2013 3:55 pm

I booked Crash Test Dummies to play our club in the '80s and they stood me up. They sent the standard cassette tape with 2 or 3 songs, (the Superman Song was 1 and I think Mmmmm Mmmmm was there too), I phoned Winnipeg and made the deal for them to play for the $300 or whatever it was and then all of a sudden they got famous and the Winnipeg Folk Fest offered them more money for the same weekend so they dumped us. The way I look at it they owe us one.

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10486693)
I booked Crash Test Dummies to play our club in the '80s and they stood me up. They sent the standard cassette tape with 2 or 3 songs, (the Superman Song was 1 and I think Mmmmm Mmmmm was there too), I phoned Winnipeg and made the deal for them to play for the $300 or whatever it was and then all of a sudden they got famous and the Winnipeg Folk Fest offered them more money for the same weekend so they dumped us. The way I look at it they owe us one.

Bastards:thumbdown:

Hawk13 Jan 16th 2013 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10486693)

Went to see the "Dummies" live at a small venue before the were famous and have to admit that I can't stand that guys voice. Some of the gang at the gig liked it though.

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk13 (Post 10486787)
Went to see the "Dummies" live at a small venue before the were famous and have to admit that I can't stand that guys voice. Some of the gang at the gig liked it though.

His singing voice or how he speaks?

I really like Steve Earle. There are lots of great songs that he has written.

Here are a few I like:

One about events in Ontario:

Shard Jan 16th 2013 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10486667)
I have had that album for sometime. It is fantastic.

Here's another from it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=13qyiCLCwwQ

I like that one from Knopfler. Mr. Knopfler supported IIRC Dylan in Calgary recently. Dylan was slated, Knopfler was praised. I enjoyed his time with the Notting Hillbillies. Missing ... Presumed Innocent is great. Here's a flavour:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RhactMuKnG0

Another good intro from the Boss, though on the song, would have to go with the Frankie Goes to Hollywood version (seriously).

My fave Notting Hillbillies song. As usual MK turns down his amp just as his guitar bit is getting sweet! Long time since I's seen the video though.

Steve Earle, cool, only heard the name before, but like these songs too. Thanks.

Ain't You Tube great for music !

Almost Canadian Jan 16th 2013 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10486878)
Another good intro from the Boss, though on the song, would have to go with the Frankie Goes to Hollywood version (seriously).

My fave Notting Hillbillies song. As usual MK turns down his amp just as his guitar bit is getting sweet! Long time since I's seen the video though.

Steve Earle, cool, only heard the name before, but like these songs too. Thanks.

Ain't You Tube great for music !

Steve Earle is a lot more "rockie" live. On albums, he comes across a bit too "country" but his lyrics are very good. His life is a good read too.

Time for a bit of Britpop me thinks