Winter 2020-21

Old Dec 30th 2020, 1:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter 2020-21

Originally Posted by MillieF
We are nearly at the end of December and it’s been amazing! No snow, or not the usual 25 cms we’d be under by now!
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
La Nina is creating above average temps for your part of the world
More to it than that it seems.
Big variations in the numbers of green christmases over the last 30 years compared to the 30 before that.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...kely-1.5856955
I think 2014-15 was the last dramatic winter here and I really can't remember the last time the ridge across the end of the drive had boulders of mostly ice that I couldn't shift.
We've had one or two officially 'green' christmases when there was a actually a blanket of snow covering everything and most people would probably describe it as white.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2020-21

snowed a little last night, about - 2 outside, I think more snow is in the forecast.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 6:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It snowed again overnight, we had blue sky and sunshine yesterday (which dissolved the white stuff) after several days of cold weather and snow (which started on 24th).. the next few days are forecast to be rain, freezing rain or snow.

I'm going to see if any of these are accurate https://www.almanac.com/winter-exten...armers-almanac
https://www.almanac.com/extra/winter-weather-folklore

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 30th 2020 at 6:39 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 5:50 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The howling blizzard that was predicted 2 days ago is a good one. I think I may have to cancel my 8:30 dental appointment, but we'll see. This afternoon I was driving in the rain, and on Saturday it's supposed to be sunny and -1 (it'll hit 0). We're famous for our weather.

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 14th 2021 at 5:54 am.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy wild winds Tuesday night into Wed early morning, I thought for sure the window was going to come flying in, its was crazy how windy it was, just rain though, no snow.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 7:58 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

This has been the weirdest January I have experienced. No snow has fallen for weeks and I can see green grass in my back garden.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 8:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy wild winds Tuesday night into Wed early morning, I thought for sure the window was going to come flying in, its was crazy how windy it was, just rain though, no snow.
Regina recorded winds of 126kmh last night, and the provincial high wind was at Bratt's Lake, 143kmh. On the weather they said the low end of a category 1 hurricane is 119kmh. There are some branches in the yard. The doors at work are iced up and the locks are full of ice, so I'll go back with a torch tomorrow and get German with it. We actually need the snow to get the water table up. It's something prairie people are usually aware of because of the importance of the agricultural economy. When I say if we don't get any snow, bread could go up to $10 a loaf, people think it's important.

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 14th 2021 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
Regina recorded winds of 126kmh last night, and the provincial high wind was at Bratt's Lake, 143kmh. On the weather they said the low end of a category 1 hurricane is 119kmh. There are some branches in the yard. The doors at work are iced up and the locks are full of ice, so I'll go back with a torch tomorrow and get German with it. We actually need the snow to get the water table up. It's something prairie people are usually aware of because of the importance of the agricultural economy. When I say if we don't get any snow, bread could go up to $10 a loaf, people think it's important.

Good snowpack is important no doubt. BC relies on good snowpack as well to fill the reservoirs up, rain isn't as good, dries too quickly, a good snow pack can melt nice and slow in the mountains.

California too, they need good winter snow pack in the Sierra's.

Although California is getting creative with water, redoing sewer systems so water after treatment can be replenished back to the aquifers and reservoirs to turning saltwater into freshwater, putting in asphalt that water can penetrate so when it rains water goes into the ground like it's supposed to instead of into drains and out to the ocean.

No life without water, and humans need a lot of it each day to stay alive.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 14th 2021 at 9:04 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

BC seems to be getting good rain on the coast to build up the reservoirs ........... January has already had more than double the "normal" amount of rain for the first 12 days. December was about normal or a little higher. November was very wet

Fortunately that has translated to snow in the mountains, so hopefully the snow pack will be at least average depth. The runoff as the snow packs melts is important for all areas.

Yesterday here was sun, blue sky, about 10C. Today has been cloudy with sunny breaks. More rain due tomorrow.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 7:25 am
Stand-up Philosopher

It's -31 in Regina right now.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 2:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Brrrrrrrrr

(phone's ringing)
Old Jan 24th 2021, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

A bit chilly
Old Jan 24th 2021, 3:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

A bit chilly
It's supposed to go up to -19 this afternoon, so I'll wait until then to try starting the van. (I should go make sure work is secure after the video shoot loads out today.) Even though it's warming up, the wind speed doubled since 2am, so the windchill is still significant.

Old Jan 30th 2021, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

-10C feels like -15. Expected to warm up to -6, will feel like -9.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I wish it was that warm here..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ning-1.5902320

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 5th 2021 at 3:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.