Wikiposts

Good Job Winnipeg

Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:42 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good Job Winnipeg

You don't see this everyday eh? Anything for a good cause

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html
Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Job Winnipeg

I have to agree with what some of those that left comments under that article said. I wonder what the cost/benefit was when one compares how much that paint job cost with the value of the additional donations it provokes
Old Sep 13th 2011, 7:40 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have to agree with what some of those that left comments under that article said. I wonder what the cost/benefit was when one compares how much that paint job cost with the value of the additional donations it provokes
What makes you think the "paint job" cost anything?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You're too clever for me
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:09 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

one of the comments suggests no cost to the city was incurred:
Paint donated by BASF chemical company
Truck was already owned by winnipeg fire department and was refurbished by Green Acres Industries [green acres hutterite colony], and funded by Carrier fire and safety from winnipeg.
Well done to the breast cancer people for getting the city to buy in to this. But... I heard a very interesting discussion on the radio the other week about why some cancers are "trendier" than others and seem to pull in the corporate dollars more easily. General consensus was that breast cancer is an "ideal" candidate because survivability is (relatively) high, several glamourous "celebs" have personal involvement, it gives newspaper editors an excuse to publish pictures of women in their underwear, and innovative fundraising/marketing types flock to the cause because of all of the above.

By contrast, prostate cancer is really tough to fundraise for. Men's bottoms are not as photogenic as women's breasts, as a rule. Other cancers - pancreatic, leukemias, etc - don't naturally lend themselves to eye-catching campaigns.

Fundraising goes on, though. For example, I'm participating in the Light the Night walk this October, in memory of my mother-in-law who lost a four-year battle with leukemia in April this year. That event hasn't garnered nearly the press acreage of the Run for the Cure events, nor has it pulled in sponsorship from the likes of CIBC.

Pink firetrucks are all very well, and I know the funds raised will go to a good and worthy cause, but it's just a little bit frustrating that there's such a bizarre "pecking order" of worthy causes when it comes to cancer charities.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:23 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
one of the comments suggests no cost to the city was incurred:
Well done to the breast cancer people for getting the city to buy in to this. But... I heard a very interesting discussion on the radio the other week about why some cancers are "trendier" than others and seem to pull in the corporate dollars more easily. General consensus was that breast cancer is an "ideal" candidate because survivability is (relatively) high, several glamourous "celebs" have personal involvement, it gives newspaper editors an excuse to publish pictures of women in their underwear, and innovative fundraising/marketing types flock to the cause because of all of the above.

By contrast, prostate cancer is really tough to fundraise for. Men's bottoms are not as photogenic as women's breasts, as a rule. Other cancers - pancreatic, leukemias, etc - don't naturally lend themselves to eye-catching campaigns.

Fundraising goes on, though. For example, I'm participating in the Light the Night walk this October, in memory of my mother-in-law who lost a four-year battle with leukemia in April this year. That event hasn't garnered nearly the press acreage of the Run for the Cure events, nor has it pulled in sponsorship from the likes of CIBC.

Pink firetrucks are all very well, and I know the funds raised will go to a good and worthy cause, but it's just a little bit frustrating that there's such a bizarre "pecking order" of worthy causes when it comes to cancer charities.
Good post. For some reason it reminded me of the Brass Eye (1990s) and the skit on good AIDS and bad AIDS. I dunno why but it did.