Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Good !! hairdressers in Calgary

Good !! hairdressers in Calgary

Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Ralphy Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good !! hairdressers in Calgary

HI Ralphys wife here , We have been in calgary now for 3 months and I am in desperate need of a hair cut, Thing is I hate hairdressers at the best of times , can anyone suggest a good hairdressers as the one I went to in south wales was tops and I don't think I can last till the summer when we go back for a visit.please help.
Ps am getting on well since arriving but need to meet more friends.!!!!

By the way we are in the north in coventry hill so if there are any hairdressers up ther it would be better , but am willing to travel !!!!!!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:56 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good !! hairdressers in Calgary

Originally Posted by Ralphy Boy
HI Ralphys wife here , We have been in calgary now for 3 months and I am in desperate need of a hair cut, Thing is I hate hairdressers at the best of times , can anyone suggest a good hairdressers as the one I went to in south wales was tops and I don't think I can last till the summer when we go back for a visit.please help.

By the way we are in the north in coventry hill so if there are any hairdressers up ther it would be better , but am willing to travel !!!!!!
Same here, absolutely dread finding a new hairdresser. I am resisting the urge to get hold of the scissors myself as I know from past experience I dont do a good job, especially with fringes!!!! My husbands cousin is over for Christmas and she was a hairdresser and always carries her scissors with her to trim her husband's hair and she might do it for me, but what if I don't like the job!!!! I will have to grin and bear it till she returns to the UK mid January! Dont think I can stand the hair falling in the eyes much longer will have to resort to hairpins, or even maybe a hairnet!!!!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:00 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, I hate this topic as it usually brings silly responses. However, here's a suggestion:

You must have gotten to know people by now, someone whose hair looks good? Ask where they get it done. Do NOT got to somewhere with a name like Great Clips, etc - chains that are really cheap haircuts. Like everything, you get what you pay for.

After much debate on this topic, I have made a point of checking hairdos on Brits on BBC Canada, HGTV etc, and have found absolutely no diff from here, in fact just watched a show where the presenter had the same hairdo as me. But I think I look better . Once you sort out the long, straggly hair dos and check out the real styles, it all looks the same both sides of the ocean.

Good luck.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:39 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

We are up near you and I would love to know if there's a decent hairdresser in the vicinity as well - haven't had my hait cut since we landed in Calgary back in september and I am considering holiding on for another couple of weeks as we are popping back to the UK for the new year so I see my old hairdresser if she's free - but I can't afford to do that every time I need a hair cut!!!
Flossie
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Unsure whether I should share our little treasure, Mira... works out of her own home in Arbour Lake but she is already so sought after that you have to book about a month in advance. Can PM you her telephone number if you like (and promise not to pass on to too many others). x
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Ralphy Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newshoney
Unsure whether I should share our little treasure, Mira... works out of her own home in Arbour Lake but she is already so sought after that you have to book about a month in advance. Can PM you her telephone number if you like (and promise not to pass on to too many others). x
That would be great, I think I could manage for a little while longer, and I promise to keep her quiet !!! Thanks
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

Hi All

I had the same problem when i moved here, it was a nightmare. I had a fantastic hairdresser back home who was just amazing and super cheap too.

When i moved here 3 years ago i tried a few places that actually left me in tears. I also tried a british guy down off 17th Avenue, 5 1/2 hours in his salon, $300 dollars later my hair was just a riot!

Anyway i have now found a great hairdresser who was recommended to me by some friends.

She works in Accentric Hair in the Hamptons 208-8180 Her name is Khatun.

Feel free to try her out. I no longer have to worry about how my hair turns out as she does a great job.

Old Dec 22nd 2007, 11:05 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dawnzocalgary
Hi All

I had the same problem when i moved here, it was a nightmare. I had a fantastic hairdresser back home who was just amazing and super cheap too.

When i moved here 3 years ago i tried a few places that actually left me in tears. I also tried a british guy down off 17th Avenue, 5 1/2 hours in his salon, $300 dollars later my hair was just a riot!

Anyway i have now found a great hairdresser who was recommended to me by some friends.

She works in Accentric Hair in the Hamptons 208-8180 Her name is Khatun.

Feel free to try her out. I no longer have to worry about how my hair turns out as she does a great job.

...and is she $300 too?
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice

She's not too bad really, a little pricey for what i get but i get 2 colours and a style every time......i dont mind though as i know she does a fantastic job so i just try and stretch out my appointments
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 9:13 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

My husband goes to an excellent barber called Sam. He's Italian, and he's located in the Stock Exchange Tower at the intersection of 5th Avenue and 2nd Street SW. As you probably can tell from the name of the building and the address, it's downtown. When my husband gets a haircut he doesn't look as if he's just had a haircut, if you know what I mean. Sam does a great job of tapering the hair at the back of the head so that it doesn't look as if it's just been chopped off.

I go to Christina at Pietro's Hairstyling. She's also Italian, and she's in Oakbay Plaza, at the corner of 90th Avenue and 24th Street SW. She charges $48 for a wash, cut and blow dry. She does a great job of cutting short hair, which is what I have. I don't know what she's like with colour, because I don't get my hair coloured.

When my MIL visits here, she goes to Christina, and she's happy with the results. My MIL is very particular about her hair. If Christina can satisfy my MIL, trust me, she'd be able to satisfy most people.

But basically I agree with startwin's advice. If you see someone whose hair you like, even a stranger in a supermarket, ask them who cuts their hair. Most people are flattered to be asked that question, and will be glad to share the name of their hair stylist.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:16 am
Just Joined

danksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I had the same trouble when I moved to Calgary. I have now been going to the same salon for over 2 years. Speaking to most ex pats, it takes some trial and error. I have tried a lot on the higher end of cost and come out very disappointed.

if anyone is interested I go to Shear Dazzle in Shawnessy. It cost $45 for wash/cut and blow dry. I can give you the number.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

alternatively...i have long hair. I had far longer hair, but I broke my rule about visiting hairdresers ad went from bum-lenghth hair to shoulder lenght, after asking 3 inches off.

needless to say i was rather upset. This was Dublin, IE btw.

Since then I have found instructions for self trimming, so any longhaired people, drop me a pm if you want the link. They work a charm. Bye-bye fees.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

scotcal00 has a spectacular aura aboutscotcal00 has a spectacular aura aboutscotcal00 has a spectacular aura about

reding through posts i have been lookin for hairdresser and i decided to try shear dazzle and yes i liked it mind you i just got trim wasnt brave enough for full cut but i will be back there as yes i need to go for my colour
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you see someone whose hair you like, even a stranger in a supermarket, ask them who cuts their hair.
I've done that before now!! Turns out she was a Scottish lady, who lived in Cochrane but went to the Chinook Mall for her hair cuts. It did look fab, but I didn't fancy getting into a Chinook Mall run for a hair cut 'cos it would cost way more than the haircut by the time I came out of the mall, what with all those other shops ....

I bit the bullet and went into one my local salons - there seemed to be so many to choose from

I've been really pleased - but pay about $160 for two-colour high and low lights with a cut and dry
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:56 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Have had my hair cut by Romaine at Sears Chinook Centre twice, both cuts very good and recently by Mr Colin at Chatters, also in the Chinook Centre. All three cuts cost under $40 and included shampoo/cut/blow dry. Would recommend either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.