British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Good Bread in Canada??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/good-bread-canada-925867/)

Rete Jun 19th 2019 12:22 pm

Good Bread in Canada???

Will be in Canada starting Friday. We are attending my SIL's memorial service to be held on the reservation, Kahnawake, in Quebec Province outside of Montreal.

Any suggestions on where and what bread to buy that is more European in taste than our god awful American bread. I asked the Canadian husband but he doesn't remember.

macadian Jun 19th 2019 12:55 pm

Re: Good Bread in Canada???

Oxymoron.....😗😗😗

Seriously, best go to a local bakery....good variety of fresh bread, rather than the plastic stuff wrapped in plastic on the supermarket shelves.....

magnumpi Jun 19th 2019 1:01 pm

Sobeys bread is by far the best, the stuff they make fresh in house

dbd33 Jun 19th 2019 1:08 pm

Ace Bakery offer serviceable products. I would say that, since I've been in Canada, the most significant change has been the availability of Ace baguettes in supermarkets, before that this was an utter wasteland for baguettes.

BristolUK Jun 19th 2019 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12700181)
Sobeys bread is by far the best, the stuff they make fresh in house

:nod:
Especially the Belgian loaf. :nod:

Zoe Bell Jun 19th 2019 3:29 pm

can't help I'm afraid. Have given up on Canadian bread and brought a breadmaker to do my own

local artisan bakery would be my suggestion

Novocastrian Jun 19th 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12700157)
Will be in Canada starting Friday. We are attending my SIL's memorial service to be held on the reservation, Kahnawake, in Quebec Province outside of Montreal.

Any suggestions on where and what bread to buy that is more European in taste than our god awful American bread. I asked the Canadian husband but he doesn't remember.

Google "boulangers a Montréal": You'll find a couple of dozen which sell real baguettes, pains and boules.

Oakvillian Jun 19th 2019 3:45 pm

If you're within reach of Montreal, you should probably try a bagel as well. Montreal bagel bakeries will tell you that New York bagels are made all wrong, and Montreal ones are infinitely better. St.-Viateur, Beaubien and Fairmont are reputed to be the best bagel places, but there are plenty of others. https://www.mtlblog.com/news/heres-w...ls-in-montreal

caretaker Jun 19th 2019 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12700298)
If you're within reach of Montreal, you should probably try a bagel as well.

I was going to suggest that, and if you're there you may as well have a smoked meat sandwich.

Novocastrian Jun 19th 2019 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12700309)
I was going to suggest that, and if you're there you may as well have a smoked meat sandwich.

I never enjoyed those and they certainly aren't reminiscent of Europe. You'll be recommending poutine next.

caretaker Jun 19th 2019 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12700314)
I never enjoyed those and they certainly aren't reminiscent of Europe. You'll be recommending poutine next.

I doubt it, since I've never had poutine. I do like a good smoked meat sandwich though. You're in Europe, Montreal isn't.

Danny B Jun 19th 2019 4:45 pm

Costco Kirkland 4 loaf pack. Can't go wrong.

Siouxie Jun 19th 2019 4:45 pm

Most of the supermarkets stock 'European' breads.. artisan or otherwise (though often in a separate section to the 'sliced and diced' bread (of which Villagio is one of the better ones). :)

Oakvillian Jun 19th 2019 5:11 pm

I asked a friend-of-a-friend who lives in Chateuguay. Your best bet if you're on or near the Kahnawake res is to head to Mercier, 894 blvd St-Jean-Baptiste (the main drag through the village) to find https://www.boulangeriedjmartinez.com/ - apparently excellent bread and superb cakes and pastries as an added bonus. It's only a couple of km south of the reservation.

Novocastrian Jun 19th 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12700157)
Any suggestions on where and what bread to buy that is more European in taste than our god awful American bread.

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12700317)
I doubt it, since I've never had poutine. I do like a good smoked meat sandwich though. You're in Europe, Montreal isn't.

Rete wants to find something more like European bread. Yes, I'm in Europe ( France at the moment) so I don't have that problem.

I'm quite pleased to learn that you've never had poutine.... keep it up.