Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

good areas in mississagua or pickering

good areas in mississagua or pickering

Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

goldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the rough
Default good areas in mississagua or pickering

Hi all,
just got our pr and we have narrowed our options to mississagua or pickering. I woul dlike to know the good areas in mississagua, i have two young children so good schools and saftey is very important to us. We would also like a multicultural area in either pickering or mississagua. From research i see that erin mill,meadowvale, streetville are good areas in mississagua so whatever anyone can add to this will be much apprieciated.
Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: good areas in mississagua or pickering

Originally Posted by goldstars
Hi all,
just got our pr and we have narrowed our options to mississagua or pickering. I woul dlike to know the good areas in mississagua, i have two young children so good schools and saftey is very important to us. We would also like a multicultural area in either pickering or mississagua. From research i see that erin mill,meadowvale, streetville are good areas in mississagua so whatever anyone can add to this will be much apprieciated.
Thanks
I'd be interested to hear what's good about Erin Mills. Generally Mississauga south of the QEW is ok in an, old North American suburb with recent God awful McMansions, kind of way. However, the good bits are not multicultural, I knew the lone non-white student in her year at Lorne Park HS, she didn't stick it out. North of the QEW is suburban wasteland with a few hundred yards of the main street in Streetsville having some character.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Thanks
Not sure about Mississauga, but Pickering, I would say, North of Finch Ave, west of Brock Road is generally nice residential areas, and then the west end of Pickering, west of Whites Road and again North of finch. West of Altona/ North of Kingston is also mostly a nice area.

Just my personal opinion, I'm sure the schools are fine but I have heard Pine Ridge local known as Crime Ridge if that gives you an idea about schools.

Pickering I guess is like any City, some good parts some not so good. I maybe wouldn't let my kids wander around in the summer with ipods of cell phones on display as these things do occasionally get taken in Street Robberies, not as often as in Ajax though.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:41 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
Pickering I guess is like any City, some good parts some not so good. I maybe wouldn't let my kids wander around in the summer with ipods of cell phones on display as these things do occasionally get taken in Street Robberies, not as often as in Ajax though.
IMO Pickering is a good place to settle, very little crime wise here, and what MJ says goes on is very much, not the norm. Not very many people shot in he back off the head in Pik, more likely to happen downtown TO.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:20 am
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,
Thanks
Mississauga has some really nice parts and a lot more not so nice. The nice bits are all south of the QEW and near to the lake and, obviously, they are the most expensive.

Why Mississauga or Pickering? I'm guessing because they are equidistant from downtown Toronto? Is it about the commute? I lived in Mississauga close to Erin Mills. I now live in Oakville and the commute on the Go train is actually quicker because the train goes express all the way.

Personally though. Aside from the expensive parts (and even the medium parts are expensive), I wouldn't leave England to live in Mississauga.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
IMO Pickering is a good place to settle, very little crime wise here, and what MJ says goes on is very much, not the norm. Not very many people shot in he back off the head in Pik, more likely to happen downtown TO.
Well I did say occasionally and not that it was the norm!!!! However I am aware of gas stations, fast food places being robbed at gun point, persons being robbed at knife point for electronic equipment in daylight. Granted you may live there and not be affected by it but that does not mean it doesn't go on.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:54 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
Well I did say occasionally and not that it was the norm!!!! However I am aware of gas stations, fast food places being robbed at gun point, persons being robbed at knife point for electronic equipment in daylight. Granted you may live there and not be affected by it but that does not mean it doesn't go on.
Did not mean no malice MJ, was just saying from my perspective only.

Suppose if you are in the habit of hanging out at the down town coffee time at 3 a.m. looking for some action, maybe you will get some trouble.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:59 am
Just Joined

goldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the roughgoldstars is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by John_B
Mississauga has some really nice parts and a lot more not so nice. The nice bits are all south of the QEW and near to the lake and, obviously, they are the most expensive.

Why Mississauga or Pickering? I'm guessing because they are equidistant from downtown Toronto? Is it about the commute? I lived in Mississauga close to Erin Mills. I now live in Oakville and the commute on the Go train is actually quicker because the train goes express all the way.

Personally though. Aside from the expensive parts (and even the medium parts are expensive), I wouldn't leave England to live in Mississauga.
Hi, no reason really why i choose them, i did look at oakville and i could consider it if there are people from other ethnic backgrounds there.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 11:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, no reason really why i choose them, i did look at oakville and i could consider it if there are people from other ethnic backgrounds there.

I believe the relative lack of ethnic diversity is something of a feature of Oakville. Otherwise, I think differentiating between Mississauga and Oakville is splitting hairs; both have nice streets along the lake where there are twee shops selling useless stuff and a few overpriced restaurants and pubs. Both have nice housing south of the QEW and, especially, along the lake. To the north, both consist of tract housing estates with a few shopping malls. Granted, suburbs appeal to me like Hyundais, but I really struggle to see why one farther away is better than one nearer.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Did not mean no malice MJ, was just saying from my perspective only.

Suppose if you are in the habit of hanging out at the down town coffee time at 3 a.m. looking for some action, maybe you will get some trouble.
None taken, although I would say 'malice' seems a strong word to use in this set of circumstances.

My info on Pickering is clearly incorrect though, I wished I'd have moved there myself now if the only crime happens at 3am around the coffee time
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:12 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
I believe the relative lack of ethnic diversity is something of a feature of Oakville. Otherwise, I think differentiating between Mississauga and Oakville is splitting hairs; both have nice streets along the lake where there are twee shops selling useless stuff and a few overpriced restaurants and pubs. Both have nice housing south of the QEW and, especially, along the lake. To the north, both consist of tract housing estates with a few shopping malls. Granted, suburbs appeal to me like Hyundais, but I really struggle to see why one farther away is better than one nearer.
I agree that traditionally Oakville lacked any real ethnic diversity. But things are changing in the newer sub-divisions with people moving in from all parts of the World. My street is very culturally diverse, but also very middle class. Two things which are not necessarily mutually exclusive in my opinion.

I don't think it has anything to do with distance from Toronto which makes one area more desirable than another. If that were the case more people would want to live in Hamilton. It just depends on what you are looking for, and how much you are prepared to pay for it. Houses just seem to be a bit cheaper the further out you go, so you'll likely get more for your money.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by John_B
I agree that traditionally Oakville lacked any real ethnic diversity. But things are changing in the newer sub-divisions with people moving in from all parts of the World. My street is very culturally diverse, but also very middle class. Two things which are not necessarily mutually exclusive in my opinion.

I don't think it has anything to do with distance from Toronto which makes one area more desirable than another. If that were the case more people would want to live in Hamilton. It just depends on what you are looking for, and how much you are prepared to pay for it. Houses just seem to be a bit cheaper the further out you go, so you'll likely get more for your money.
Hello John B
If you could shed some more light on these areas in oakville and also i dont know if you have any idea of haw much i could expect to pay for a 2 bed rental apartment. i really do like the sound of oakville, and having to move to canada without visiting before makes things realy difficult. Thank you
Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:33 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

Hello John B
If you could shed some more light on these areas in oakville and also i dont know if you have any idea of haw much i could expect to pay for a 2 bed rental apartment. i really do like the sound of oakville, and having to move to canada without visiting before makes things realy difficult. Thank you
Oakville has some very expensive areas, but still has some areas that are quite reasonable. There is still a lot of building work going on so there are still quite a lot of new homes. I have no idea about rental prices, but check out the MLS website, which will tell you everything you need to know about property prices in Canada.

http://www.mls.ca/splash.aspx

We used this a lot before we moved to Canada. It's a pretty useful tool and gives property locations using google maps, so you can see exactly where they are. You can also use Street view, which has most of the GTA covered, so you can even get a 360 view of the property.

When we moved here, we rented for 8 months. Be aware though that the landlord may want rent paid in advance. We had to pay the full 8 months.

I was probably a little unkind about Mississauga in my earlier posts, and it does offer more value for money than most of Oakville. I've just always felt it lacks a focal point. Even the city centre is just collection of condo's and offices clustered around a shopping mall.

Best of luck with your seach.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

See also www.viewit.ca
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to solicit objective answers on an emotive topic like "good areas to live in" etc. I spent 6 happy years in Milton Keynes, UK despite being constantly told that the place had "no character, no history, just a concrete jungle" when my experience suggested it to be green, wide open, logical road layouts and a great place for children.

Have lived in Mississauga for 7+ years and all I can say is that we have a good lifestyle here. Previously lived in Oakville and Burlington - okay-ish and not much of a multi-cultural mix save for a few Scots and the odd Englishman. In contrast to other views, I personally would avoid south of QEW which I view as a dead zone. Don't know what your budget is, but Google Map (better choose Streetview) the Old Meadowvale Village area (area bordered by Mavis, Old Derry, Creditview and 401). Good mixture of schools including Montessori, Catholic and state schools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.