Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Going for a latte in the new normal

Going for a latte in the new normal

Old Jun 25th 2020, 5:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going for a latte in the new normal

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So all you have to hope for now is that the glass was properly cleaned since the previous person had their hand and mouth on it; that no infected aerosols landed in it or on you; that the person who filled your glass wasn't infectious and didn't transfer anything to your glass

And of course you paid contactless?

I can't live my life worrying like that. If you are unlucky enough to catch it, don't forget that 8 out of every 10 cases of COVID are mild. As long as we are sensible about masks and / or distancing, we should be able to live a relatively normal life until a vaccine is discovered.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Someone mentioned Canadian Tire not long ago (think it was Bristol), but I got a surprise to see you mention it in the context of your post. So I looked it up and now I get it. I thought it was a store that sold tires/tyres
They do sell tires, but a variety of other crap too. It's a franchised big box chain, oh and they have a bank too that issues a credit card, wouldn't be surprised if they make more off the credit card than the retail side...ha ha

As for catching COVID, for all I know I already did, with places that are doing more testing seems a good amount of people are testing positive but showing no symptoms, Florida if I recall is finding a fair amount of people testing positive but no symptoms.

This virus seems to be confusing even the experts. Guess that is bound to happen with a virus not seen before, its learning on the fly.

I am hoping when BC starts doing antibody testing I get chosen, I signed up for their study, but who knows if I will be selected.

Old Jun 25th 2020, 5:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
.... don't forget that 8 out of every 10 cases of COVID are mild. .....
Society at large and the government can afford to be cavalier about numbers like that, but when you're "one out of one people", and things go badly, it is no concellation that 8 out 10 people generally have only a mild case, is it?

That is the reason why I never did get lasik surgery on my eyes. The statistics show that a tiny percentage of lasik surgeries go wrong, which is great for the surgeon, but of no help to me if I am the one person in 10,000 who's eyes have been damaged!
Old Jun 25th 2020, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Society at large and the government can afford to be cavalier about numbers like that, but when you're "one out of one people", and things go badly, it is no concellation that 8 out 10 people generally have only a mild case, is it?

That is the reason why I never did get lasik surgery on my eyes. The statistics show that a tiny percentage of lasik surgeries go wrong, which is great for the surgeon, but of no help to me if I am the one person in 10,000 who's eyes have been damaged!
Certainly is the problem, no way to know if we will be the 8 people or the 2 people.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 6:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I hear ya on Lasik !

And of course 2/10 on a severe / possibly fatal or life long respiratory impairment disease are not exactly great odds. You'd be safer driving drunk without a seatbelt.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 6:36 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I hear ya on Lasik !

And of course 2/10 on a severe / possibly fatal or life long respiratory impairment disease are not exactly great odds. You'd be safer driving drunk without a seatbelt.
It doesn't mean that 2 out of 10 people die. Don't forget that there are also moderate & severe cases where people get really sick but recover OK. Look at old Boris, he's good as new now.

Old Jun 25th 2020, 6:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I don't drink latte.

Old Jun 25th 2020, 6:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't mean that 2 out of 10 people die. Don't forget that there are also moderate & severe cases where people get really sick but recover OK. Look at old Boris, he's good as new now.
You have completely ignored the question of permanent lung damage and the long term health consequences of that for the 2 out of 10, who have a more serious case. It is far from clear how many of those who "recover" may have long term health issues resulting from varying degrees of lung damage (or damage to other organs, including the kidneys) caused by coronavirus.

My father died from an acute heart condition in his 70's that may have resulted from a relatively minor illenss and fever that he had as a teenager. By most measures you could say he made "a full recovery", but it may have casued his death 50 years later - 49 weeks before his only grandchild was born, in other words he never even knew he was going to be a grandfather!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 25th 2020 at 6:46 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You have completely ignored the question of permanent lung damage and the long term health consequences of that for the 2 out of 10, who have a more serious case. It is far from clear how many of those who "recover" may have long term health issues resulting from varying degrees of lung damage (or damage to other organs, including the kidneys) caused by coronavirus.

My father died from an acute heart condition in his 70's that may have resulted from a relatively minor illenss and fever that he had as a teenager. By most measures you could say he made "a full recovery", but it may have casued his death 50 years later - 49 weeks before his only grandchild was born, in other words he never even knew he was going to be a grandfather!
OK

You appear to be the resident maths expert. Take the country in the world that, currently, has the worst of outcomes and let us know what the chances of death with COVID (let alone from) as a percentage of population are. If you are able to do the same for acute lung disease too, so much the better. Do either approach anything like 0.1%
Old Jun 25th 2020, 7:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I can't live my life worrying like that.
Me neither. I was trying to be humorous while making the point that we're still dependent on others and we see enough of that to know we can't.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
..... Do either approach anything like 0.1%
As per my previous advice above, statistics like that are great for hospitals and governments, but 0.1% is great for the 999 out of 1,000, but not so great for the other person. One of the most conmonly misundserstood fields in mathematics is statistics, and especially how to interpret them - a small liklihood from one perspective can be highly significant from another.

There are limits to how much inconvenience I am willing to tolerate to avoid an admittedly very small risk of death (but a considerably larger, but as yet unknown risk of long term health issues caused by lung and/or organ damage) but for now at least, when I can largely avoid being that 1 person in 1,000 by merely staying at home, and wearing a mask when I am not at home, I am more than happy to take the advice hook, line, and sinker. To be clear, I don't consider "staying at home" and "wearing a mask" to be overly burdensome tasks.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 25th 2020 at 8:03 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 8:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Listen, you are preaching to the wrong person. I am trying my hardest to follow stoicism throughout this pandemic, and there is no point in worrying about what is unknown. No one knows anything about long term health issues after COVID,

My Wife is a person of BAME who is also asthmatic, I'm doing my hardest to stay safe but as Seneca once said
The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Listen, you are preaching to the wrong person. I am trying my hardest to follow stoicism throughout this pandemic, and there is no point in worrying about what is unknown. No one knows anything about long term health issues after COVID,

My Wife is a person of BAME who is also asthmatic, I'm doing my hardest to stay safe but as Seneca once said
Amen to that. I had resisted so far, but you have convinced me. I am off to the Pub!!
Old Jun 25th 2020, 9:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Amen to that. I had resisted so far, but you have convinced me. I am off to the Pub!!
Just getting ready to leave the Hungarian Club now, but no more drinking until I find out if I have to go back to work.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

As per my previous advice above, statistics like that are great for hospitals and governments, but 0.1% is great for the 999 out of 1,000, but not so great for the other person. One of the most conmonly misundserstood fields in mathematics is statistics, and especially how to interpret them - a small liklihood from one perspective can be highly significant from another.

There are limits to how much inconvenience I am willing to tolerate to avoid an admittedly very small risk of death (but a considerably larger, but as yet unknown risk of long term health issues caused by lung and/or organ damage) but for now at least, when I can largely avoid being that 1 person in 1,000 by merely staying at home, and wearing a mask when I am not at home, I am more than happy to take the advice hook, line, and sinker. To be clear, I don't consider "staying at home" and "wearing a mask" to be overly burdensome tasks.
I wasn't having a dig at you.

I am thinking of the person whose livelihood has been stopped by whatever measures are imposed. They do not consider the effects minor. They wish to know wh3n they can return to earning a living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.