Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Going for a latte in the new normal

Going for a latte in the new normal

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 10:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going for a latte in the new normal

Originally Posted by Shard
So, there are other sane people around !

Well, it's not just good sense, I don't really know anyone in Canada so there's little reason to go to a restaurant or bar.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 10:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
It's all about the quantum of risk where you are isn't it? If locally (your town/city/state/province) there are multiple daily cases/fatalities, then staying at home is the best move. (& is what we'd do). If there is a low incidence rate - or potentially zero - as it is in Newfoundland, then that's a different proposition. .....
Somewhat, but everywhere was low risk in February, and yet things snoweballed out of control in just a few weeks, with the biggest flaw in your position being that it takes a few days (14 days is what is commonly reported) from a cluster of infections actually happening to the disease manifesting itself and people exhibiting symptoms, then being tested. In other words you may find out today that there was a cluster of new infections that you should have avoided two weeks ago.
.... I think reopening business - when safe to do so, is a positive step in terms of mitigating the economic downsides of total lockdown.
That's not unreasonable, but not without the risk of new hotspots. I would be much happier if people keen to get "back to normal", because of valid concerns about the economy, would accept that SD and masks make sense, because at the moment those who seem most kean to get "back to normal" are the ones whose behaviour is most likely to create new hotspots!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2020 at 11:32 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 11:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

We might be opening our club to 30% capacity by the end of the month. I don't even know offhand what our license says, but I think 30% is about 100 people for both rooms. I'm optimistic.

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 23rd 2020 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 1:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Info from BC today

"The latest epidemiological modelling by B.C. health officials shows recent contact rates in the province are at 65 per cent of normal — hovering near the threshold for a potential rebound of new cases of COVID-19."

"the modelling shows that so far, strong contact tracing has provided a buffer against a surge in new cases. Henry said 97 to 99 per cent of contacts have been located within 48 hours in B.C."

B.C.'s reproductive number for the virus has dropped to one, from 3 in March, so that is certainly good.

13 new cases today.

B.C. Centre for Disease Control is working on a method to test waste water for COVID-19.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...e-23-1.5624328

Old Jun 24th 2020, 2:48 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I work in a fast serve restaurant. We only closed for 2 weeks. We have 50% capacity seating in 1 store and less in another. Everything is served in disposables.some people wear masks and sanitize others don't. Many complain about lack of seating and will use the staff designated toilet. There is a customer designated one. People are also impatient. My co workers and I do not wear masks we do have plexi. It's impossible for us to maintain 2m between us. The owner went to her vacation place in bc.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If only the province would send some inspectors to big box stores, like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Super Store to name a couple.

Our doctor has been doing video/phone appointments since mid March, its a much nicer system overall, can book online, see what days appointments are available, and not have to leave the house. If the doctor needs to see patient in person, the doctor books another appointment, so I suppose it could be a bit more costly in the long run to MSP, but its so much nicer, 9/10 appointments I have do not need me to be physically there (almost all my appointments are refills) so I hope this system sticks around, I also find the phone appointments are on-time and the doctor spends more time discussing things, she seems less stressed as well and lots of times now same day appointments are even possible which were never possible under the old system.

Now if only medical records were available online, I like the way my mom's doctor works in California through the online portal she can access everything, lab work (which we can in BC) prescriptions, email the doctor a question, review medical records, and everything under the sun really.
From my reading and searching, I understand that all businesses no matter what have to provide WorkSafeBC with an individual plan for re-opening that will protect all their employees and the public, and that plan must meet or exceed the generalised plan that WorkSafe has set up for each industry or type of business ..... set up in concert with the organisations official association. Thus, the Ironworkers, the Business Council, etc etc

I also understand that WorkSafeBC has employed and trained at least a couple of hundred extra inspectors. These inspectors have the right to fine and shut down any business that is not operating to their approved plan. Some have been shut down for a day or couple of days.

I also understand that the inspectors are inspecting much more often than they used to do. However, they do also rely a lot on information being given to them by the public.

I have only ever been in a Walmart once, on Vancouver Island, and didn't buy anything there. I bought some masks online from Walmart but will never use them again.

As for the doctor's .............. I was called by my own doctor in early April to check that I was OK, and asking about any prescriptions I needed.

This time it was a little different in that this was a doctor I had not seen before, and I was asking about other prescriptions, so I had to guess what information he might want from me.

I've never had any worries about getting in to the office, I usually call for an appointment at least a week ahead of time, and they know that if I call emergency, it is ......... that has happened twice in 20 years, I got in the same day once and the next morning on the second after a late afternoon call. I was congratulated both times because I had called it right.

I've actually found them better on starting the appointment than this phone call, but then he probably had a call that took longer.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Info from BC today

"The latest epidemiological modelling by B.C. health officials shows recent contact rates in the province are at 65 per cent of normal — hovering near the threshold for a potential rebound of new cases of COVID-19."

"the modelling shows that so far, strong contact tracing has provided a buffer against a surge in new cases. Henry said 97 to 99 per cent of contacts have been located within 48 hours in B.C."

B.C.'s reproductive number for the virus has dropped to one, from 3 in March, so that is certainly good.

13 new cases today.

B.C. Centre for Disease Control is working on a method to test waste water for COVID-19.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...e-23-1.5624328

Did you also see/hear about the new cases in Washington State.The Washington State Department of Health on Tuesday reported 516 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 and eight additional deaths.

Statewide totals have reached 29,386 cases and 1,284 deaths, up from 28,870 cases and 1,276 deaths on Monday.
https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...243751777.html

Old Jun 24th 2020, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
From my reading and searching, I understand that all businesses no matter what have to provide WorkSafeBC with an individual plan for re-opening that will protect all their employees and the public, and that plan must meet or exceed the generalised plan that WorkSafe has set up for each industry or type of business ..... set up in concert with the organisations official association. Thus, the Ironworkers, the Business Council, etc etc

I also understand that WorkSafeBC has employed and trained at least a couple of hundred extra inspectors. These inspectors have the right to fine and shut down any business that is not operating to their approved plan. Some have been shut down for a day or couple of days.

I also understand that the inspectors are inspecting much more often than they used to do. However, they do also rely a lot on information being given to them by the public.

I have only ever been in a Walmart once, on Vancouver Island, and didn't buy anything there. I bought some masks online from Walmart but will never use them again.

As for the doctor's .............. I was called by my own doctor in early April to check that I was OK, and asking about any prescriptions I needed.

This time it was a little different in that this was a doctor I had not seen before, and I was asking about other prescriptions, so I had to guess what information he might want from me.

I've never had any worries about getting in to the office, I usually call for an appointment at least a week ahead of time, and they know that if I call emergency, it is ......... that has happened twice in 20 years, I got in the same day once and the next morning on the second after a late afternoon call. I was congratulated both times because I had called it right.

I've actually found them better on starting the appointment than this phone call, but then he probably had a call that took longer.
Well if whats happening at Wal-Mart and Super Store is approved, well they better hire some better people at Work Safe because there is no social distancing at these 2 stores, there is no enforcement of any of the rules at either store, both stores let people any without any concern how full the store is, the customers inside the store do no social distance.

I am only going to these 2 stores so much because 90% of the instacart orders are at these 2 stores, and when you go to the same 2 stores multiple times a day you quickly see how little people follow directions. Even the store employees wont social distance, turn around and there is the Wal Mart worker not even 2 feet away trying to get you to sign up for their Mastercard.

Did you also see/hear about the new cases in Washington State.The Washington State Department of Health on Tuesday reported 516 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 and eight additional deaths.

Statewide totals have reached 29,386 cases and 1,284 deaths, up from 28,870 cases and 1,276 deaths on Monday.
https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...243751777.html
I haven't been following the US numbers. I really just follow BC.

Old Jun 24th 2020, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

I follow the Washington State numbers because that is where we are likely to get new infections from!

If you are so concerned about Walmart and Super Store, I personally would seriously think about phoning WorkSafe BC to complain about it because they are supposed to be keeping the distancing etc.

They are breaking the law.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Health authorities never intended to reduce the infection rate to zero, which is impractical even with a vaccine. The message we were told was these measures were required to flatten the infection rate to a level at which the health care system can cope with any hotspots. Currently in BC there are 16 people hospitalized and 7 ICU patients and as Dr. Bonnie Henry said they are tracing majority of contacts within 48-hr.

To me the message from health is therefore saying it is safe to do these activities not because you won’t be infected but because if you are there is capacity to treat you such that you would likely survive. Wether you choose to take the risk is a personal choice based on your own risk profile and tolerance.

You have to remember that at the time of the first wave we were inadequately prepared and know little about the virus. The lockdown was to give the system a chance to catch up, which it has.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

To me the message from health is therefore saying it is safe to do these activities not because you won’t be infected but because if you are there is capacity to treat you such that you would likely survive. Whether you choose to take the risk is a personal choice based on your own risk profile and tolerance.
I think this is exactly right. There is nothing that WalMart has that is unavailable elsewhere (except Aloe Vera oil in 2 gallon jugs). At WalMart you'll encounter the People of WallMart, of course it's not safe, just don't go there.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Health authorities never intended to reduce the infection rate to zero, which is impractical even with a vaccine. The message we were told was these measures were required to flatten the infection rate to a level at which the health care system can cope with any hotspots. Currently in BC there are 16 people hospitalized and 7 ICU patients and as Dr. Bonnie Henry said they are tracing majority of contacts within 48-hr.

To me the message from health is therefore saying it is safe to do these activities not because you won’t be infected but because if you are there is capacity to treat you such that you would likely survive. Wether you choose to take the risk is a personal choice based on your own risk profile and tolerance.

You have to remember that at the time of the first wave we were inadequately prepared and know little about the virus. The lockdown was to give the system a chance to catch up, which it has.
Agree with this totally… this is exactly how I see it.

Some are saying why did we lockdown for, its not that bad?? Its not that bad precisely because we locked down! But now as we all know we can’t lock down forever….so now countries are opening up because the health systems are more experienced and have the capacity to treat people if they do become infected….and enough ventilators to go around etc…. as a result people are now taking more of a risk than they first did….but there is a fine line, too much complacency could send figures rocketing worse than the initial outbreak.

I must say reducing social distancing to 1m, and opening pubs fully in UK next week seems to be is a strange decision….. part of me wonders if the UK government are going back to their herd immunity plan, that they aborted in late March, but now in a less obvious manner…

Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

I must say reducing social distancing to 1m, and opening pubs fully in UK next week seems to be is a strange decision….. part of me wonders if the UK government are going back to their herd immunity plan, that they aborted in late March, but now in a less obvious manner…
I think it's more devious. The economy is going to collapse at the end of the year. Rampant infections will muddy the water and make it less obvious that the crash is due to the vanity of the man who would be PM. A high infection rate, especially one which doesn't result in many deaths is to the PM's advantage.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 12:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Never use the masks again or Walmart?

You were lucky to get them. When I ordered, it was all third party sellers (just like masks on Amazon) and it seemed to me there were 50 ads or more and all from the same seller. Only one review. I hoped that was because they were too new to have reviews and took a chance.

I just took another look and it all looks the same now as it did then except there are a few different names for the suppliers and the same total lack of reviews. Presumably the new names are used as the "fake tracking information"; "it's a scam"; "masks never arrived" comments start arriving and a new supplier name means such comments are not attached and more people are conned. Rinse and repeat.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 4:28 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve just some Starbucks stars to use otherwise they expire.

I’ll use them up but I prefer to make my own coffee, which is what I was doing before COVID.

I’ve got a bunch of gift cards from last year as well but again no motivation to go out and use them as I don’t really need anything.

The only thing I really want to do is go back to my gym (it’s open) but limited classes and the class I want to do is now only on twice a week (previously 7 times a week) and both sessions are when I am working. The at home fitness routine will need to be continued

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.