Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Going into hospital .... last minute jitters

Going into hospital .... last minute jitters

Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:27 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going into hospital .... last minute jitters

Hi all ..... OK so I thought I was doing okay but the nerves are now really getting to me - I am due to go into hospital next Monday for a hysterectomy.

I have never had an operation before let alone a general anesthetic and despite reassurances from everyone I can't stop huge butterflies from flying around in my stomach.

It has also hit me that I don't have any family members around (except for my wonderful OH of course ) to help me through the convalescence. Although we have made some wonderful friends here in Calgary - our neighbours are fantastic and would drop everything to help - I just don't know if it will be the same as if I had close family here. I don't feel so bad moaning and groaning to family but I don't want to frighten off the neighbours!

Has anyone else been through anything similar?

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest .... Somehow it helps just to write it down! J
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going into hospital .... last minute jitters

Good Luck Karma sent!

Take a deep breath, it will be OK.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:34 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll be just fine.

You might be moving a little slow for the first couple of days but your recovery will go relatively quickly.

I just had open heart surgery (double bypass) on Tuesday December 9th at the Foothills and was sent home to recuperate on Sunday December 14th.

We haven't needed any other help than just what my good wife provides.

If you have helpful neighbours then great but really it'll be a piece of cake.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:11 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - to be honest I am feeling a bit of a wimp since posting

It is the first "wobble" that I have had since arriving in Canada (almost three years ago).

Pleased to hear that you are recovering so well Steve - I was following your progress with interest. I have been told that my recovery time should be about six-eight weeks so I guess I will have to learn to take it easy for a while and get used to be waited on

Thanks again, J
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Take care - hope it all goes well

It'll be over before you know it - try not to stress too much in the meantime, but your butterflies are understandable

Big hug

Adele
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

the knock out drugs here are really cool,better than anything i had had in Europe,,so enjoy the trip
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:56 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingle
I have never had an operation before let alone a general anesthetic and despite reassurances from everyone I can't stop huge butterflies from flying around in my stomach. J
I can sympathize with you, I know exactly how you are feeling as I would react in exactly the same manner. I have a general fear of ever having to have a GA and will do anything to avoid it.

From my friends that have had this op you can expect to feel heaps better soon after and the 6-8 weeks is really just to ensure you rest up and dont over do it. The most frustrating thing they found was being told they couldnt drive for that period of time, but most of them found themselves behind the wheel before their recovery time was up! Best wishes, karma sent.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:30 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just sending you my best wishes Jingle. You will be told before the operation what to expect and what you will/will not be able to do. The main thing is to take it easy no heavy lifting/vacuuming for a period afterwards ( there's a silver lining to every cloud so they say) so you will be pampered by your OH.
You won't even know anything about the anaesthetic, you will be asleep before you know it and if you are extremely nervous you can ask the anaesthetist ( the person who will put you to sleep) about something to calm you down beforehand ( a pre-med) as he/she will have a chat to you before the operation.
You will be fine, let us know when you're home so you can ease the boredom chatting to us
Good luck
Terese
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:05 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

just to say good luck and wish you all the best

kate
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:05 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
The most frustrating thing they found was being told they couldnt drive for that period of time, but most of them found themselves behind the wheel before their recovery time was up! Best wishes, karma sent.
You might want to remind your friends that they took a very serious risk by driving before the six weeks were up as their auto insurance was NOT valid during that period.

I have been told the same, no driving for six weeks post surgery and the none coverage by the auto insurance industry was the reason given to me by the hospital staff.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:35 am
I'm not a Canadian Idiot!

Devilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really nice

Hi all ..... OK so I thought I was doing okay but the nerves are now really getting to me - I am due to go into hospital next Monday for a hysterectomy.

I have never had an operation before let alone a general anesthetic and despite reassurances from everyone I can't stop huge butterflies from flying around in my stomach.

It has also hit me that I don't have any family members around (except for my wonderful OH of course ) to help me through the convalescence. Although we have made some wonderful friends here in Calgary - our neighbours are fantastic and would drop everything to help - I just don't know if it will be the same as if I had close family here. I don't feel so bad moaning and groaning to family but I don't want to frighten off the neighbours!

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest .... Somehow it helps just to write it down! J
I can relate to your sitution I have not been in a hospital other then to give birth to my darling children but had the same surgery you are having back in March and got thru fine...... You will be FINE to just take things slowly and one day at a time

good luck and hugs
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in surgery a few times...a few thoughts
1) take chapstick. Trust me, the premeds dry you out like mad and it drives you nuts. I had a dry mouth and lips for about three days after.
2) take it fifteen minutes at a time. or ten. or five. Or one. You can get there, right? getting there is like any other trip, you've done it before, so no worries, right? Good. You can walk in teh door and do the paperwork, right? its just paperwork. It can't hurt you. Right? Good. You can sit in teh waiting room, right? that doesn't hurt. And the check in, that doesn't hurt, if they put in the iv, well thats just a little sting, you can cope wiht that...and so on until you get to the last possible moment, at which point its a jab. Stay in the here and now, and don't think about the future. Thats how I coped at least.
3) if you're in any pain when you wake up, ask for more meds. There are some people on who morphine doesn't work well. or better yet, talk to them up front. I woke up from my first lot of eye surgery in pain, and it took ages for the morphine to kick in. The second and third time, I relayed that experience and asked nicely if we could avoid waking up with pain next time, and they were brilliant.

These people are here to help you. Let them. Talk to them about whatever it is you're worried about, be it pain, be it being sick, be it...I dunno.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Take care jitters are normal even with family around, im sure your OH will come through i know mine would
If your neighbours are anything like the Canadians in our village they are amasing support,
Someoine is going through an awful time in the village ( son has cancer ) and is in London on and off all week having treatment she comes home to dinners and cakes on the door step and the other child is being taken care of, they really are the nicest people

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You might want to remind your friends that they took a very serious risk by driving before the six weeks were up as their auto insurance was NOT valid during that period.

I have been told the same, no driving for six weeks post surgery and the none coverage by the auto insurance industry was the reason given to me by the hospital staff.

When i had surgery Steve i felt so well after ceaserian that i called my insurance had the all clear from the docs, i sent them a letter from the surgery cost £30.00 and was driving within 2 weeks fully insured, not sure if they would allow that there but always worth a try if you feel well enough.

Great to hear you are doing so well

Last edited by Coffeepot; Jan 13th 2009 at 10:04 am. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:33 am
Just Joined

PermanentlyTemporary is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys - to be honest I am feeling a bit of a wimp since posting

It is the first "wobble" that I have had since arriving in Canada (almost three years ago).

Pleased to hear that you are recovering so well Steve - I was following your progress with interest. I have been told that my recovery time should be about six-eight weeks so I guess I will have to learn to take it easy for a while and get used to be waited on

Thanks again, J
I really feel for you as your problem seems two-fold. One one hand you have the concern about the surgery and GA and on the other hand you have pride issues with being dependent on people. I haven't experienced a GA or surgery so can't comment, but I feel your pain on the accepting help from "strangers" rather than family. One thing I do know is that once I thought if I didn't ask for help, people would think I didn't need it (no evidence of "wobble"), but in fact I learned that they actually just thought I didn't want help from them! My advice is not to be embarrassed about being a wimp. Its okay to depend on others from time to time. It doesn't make you less of a person. Most people feel valued if you accept help from them- I think. HTH
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

susie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura about

which hospital are you going in to .- there are a few expats who work at the foothills could come and visit susie qgood luck for monday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.