British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Going Home....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/going-home-546967/)

mkmurrays Jul 5th 2008 6:26 am

Going Home.......

Before anyone bites my head off, I know there have been many threads on homesickness. But we've been here a year now, and although we've had our ups and downs, I don't think we've actually felt homesick. We've missed people, but not 'home'. Until tonight, that is.

We went to see Mark Knopfler (not everyone's taste, but plays a mean guitar, or dozen), tonight. My husband's family is from the North East via Cambridge, and it was good to hear a geordie accent on stage. He played some of the staple Dire Straits hits and the whole of Prospera Place was up and dancing.

The final encore was the theme to 'Local Hero', 'Going Home'. That did it for us. Not a dry Brit eye in the house. Not sure if it's homesickness, nostalgia, or merely the haunting guitar?

Coffeepot Jul 5th 2008 6:31 am

Re: Going Home.......

Originally Posted by mkmurrays (Post 6536382)
Before anyone bites my head off, I know there have been many threads on homesickness. But we've been here a year now, and although we've had our ups and downs, I don't think we've actually felt homesick. We've missed people, but not 'home'. Until tonight, that is.

We went to see Mark Knopfler (not everyone's taste, but plays a mean guitar, or dozen), tonight. My husband's family is from the North East via Cambridge, and it was good to hear a geordie accent on stage. He played some of the staple Dire Straits hits and the whole of Prospera Place was up and dancing.

The final encore was the theme to 'Local Hero', 'Going Home'. That did it for us. Not a dry Brit eye in the house. Not sure if it's homesickness, nostalgia, or merely the haunting guitar?

Aww Sharon i hope its not homesickness, I live in Cambs area but don't have an accent or rather i do but not from here, Brought up on the solent ?

Probably a bit of nostalgia, music does that to you :wub:

mkmurrays Jul 5th 2008 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 6536388)
Aww Sharon i hope its not homesickness, I live in Cambs area but don't have an accent or rather i do but not from here, Brought up on the solent ?

Probably a bit of nostalgia, music does that to you :wub:

Reckon you're right. We were also talking about when we saw Dire Straits, and Mark Knopfler previously at the Hammersmith Odeon and The Symphony Hall in Birmingham...happy days.....'Romeo and Juliet', 'You're So Far Away', 'Brothers in Arms'....

Tonight was a great concert though, really good night out. I'll put the suitcases back in the basement....we won't be heading back to the Tyne just yet!

Judy in Calgary Jul 5th 2008 7:05 am

This always tugs at my heartstrings -- and I'm not even British! :eek:
x

LorraineG Jul 5th 2008 7:41 am

Wonderful link Judy.
I have always felt that this should be our National Anthem, much better than the dirge that we currently have.
Lorraine G

AmyDavid Jul 5th 2008 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mkmurrays (Post 6536397)
Reckon you're right. We were also talking about when we saw Dire Straits, and Mark Knopfler previously at the Hammersmith Odeon and The Symphony Hall in Birmingham...happy days.....'Romeo and Juliet', 'You're So Far Away', 'Brothers in Arms'....

Tonight was a great concert though, really good night out. I'll put the suitcases back in the basement....we won't be heading back to the Tyne just yet!

Music has the power to do that do you! Whisk you back to another time and make you feel all mushy...!!

Glad you had a great time - those tunes always remind me of my Dad and when I was lots younger! I didn't even know they were still around...!

If your suitcase is out....pop some stuff in and come have a holiday over here with me :)

mkmurrays Jul 5th 2008 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 6536959)
Music has the power to do that do you! Whisk you back to another time and make you feel all mushy...!!

Glad you had a great time - those tunes always remind me of my Dad and when I was lots younger! I didn't even know they were still around...!

If your suitcase is out....pop some stuff in and come have a holiday over here with me :)

Thanks, Amy. Might take you up on the NS offer sometime.

Mark Knopfler went solo and has been in a different band/s for, ooh, must be almost 20 years? He's a musician rather than a celebrity, which is refreshing, and you rarely read anything about him in the press. If he roamed around Kelowna he'd pass for your average guy in the street. I read the reviews of his Vancouver gig and that made similar comments. No posturing, no strutting, just fantastic, often haunting music. I loved it, which was a bonus as I bought the tickets as a present for my OH!

This is the "Local Hero" theme, an instrumental called, "Going Home".....beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh2WNXBOVNQ

It's Jenny's 13th birthday on Monday and we have her party with a mob of girls here today...best get on.:eek:

Steve_P Jul 5th 2008 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by mkmurrays (Post 6536382)

We went to see Mark Knopfler (not everyone's taste, but plays a mean guitar, or dozen), tonight.

Awesome guitarist. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

He's one of my favourites, especially when he plays a piece like "Going Home" or one of my favourites "The Long Road" I love the piece but it always evokes a feeling of melancholy when I listen to it. :thumbup:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qx_QeO...eature=related

Lozza2302 Jul 5th 2008 4:14 pm

I know what you all mean, only been here 8 months, i am London born originally but brought up near good ole Pompey! My OH's brother is in Southern Ireland and i love it there, was ok here till i saw "P.S I Love You", the bits set in Ireland just brought tears to me wee eyes. How i long for a good glass of Murphys, a bag of tatoes, and a good ole sing song!!!!!!!!:D

Tanah Jul 5th 2008 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary (Post 6536419)
x

Have to say I'm still here in the UK but this brought a tear to my eye - Not because I miss England as such, but because the England that was, the Land of Hope and Glory - the Country in which I was immensly proud - is NOT that country anymore.
The beautiful pictures that accompany the piece just represent Great Britain to me - peace, beautiful countryside, heritage, history, British pride etc. All I could visualise over the top was Overcrowdedness, violence, hoodies, stabbings, gangs, fear and recession - THATS what brought a tear to MY eye

Edna Bucket Jul 5th 2008 8:46 pm

x

Absolutely agree, we used to have to sing it at school. Jerusalem also has the same effect.

JLT Jul 5th 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Tanah (Post 6537682)
Have to say I'm still here in the UK but this brought a tear to my eye - Not because I miss England as such, but because the England that was, the Land of Hope and Glory - the Country in which I was immensly proud - is NOT that country anymore.
The beautiful pictures that accompany the piece just represent Great Britain to me - peace, beautiful countryside, heritage, history, British pride etc. All I could visualise over the top was Overcrowdedness, violence, hoodies, stabbings, gangs, fear and recession - THATS what brought a tear to MY eye

I'll second that. Still over in the UK from last August with my daughter of 17. Cannot believe the transformation of my country into what??!! Refused to acknowledge any of it at first because of my love for my home town of Sutton Coldfield but boy is it changing weekly and not for the better. I pray things will do a turnaround for all our friends here before I head back to Toronto. Britain will always be my pride but the Britain I remember before leaving for Toronto in 96. Tears in my eyes too, what is going on!!:confused:

MikeUK Jul 7th 2008 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Tanah (Post 6537682)

I still love my country and have just come back from 3 weeks in Nottinghamshire

But those yob’s and hoodies and gangs and all the pub violence was around when I was a boy, the country really hasn't change much at all when you take the tinted spec’s off
We've just got older, young peoples fashion sense is just as bad and ugly as my old pictures would show it to be in the 80’s and all that really changed is our perception of the world we look at, now we sound like my parents used to when I was a boy.. and when talking to them how their parents sounded when they were young

Every generation seems to remember the good old days (that the history books show just weren’t that good) and each seems to think the new and up and coming generation are such a mess and the world is going to the dogs

It hit home when I was walking through the Arboretum in Nottingham looking at the students and thinking ‘my god is this the future of my country’ and then realising that 27 years ago that I was one of those hanging out on the grass with bad fashion sense probably having spent lunch in the pub… and that maybe some one else had walked by after a session of reading the paper and though exactly the same thing…..

I knew then which pubs were safe and which not, Friday night fight night existed back in the 80’s and 60’s and even the 40’s as much as it does now

(mini rant in defence of the youth of today)

Lorna_D Jul 7th 2008 10:57 pm

x

Thanks for this link Judy. Katherine Jenkins is a good Welsh girl :thumbup: I saw her perform at a charity concert a few years ago. I only went to take my mother and aunt but came away a convert.

Biiiiink Jul 7th 2008 11:22 pm

I agree Mike. Boozing to excess in the UK isn't exactly new, is it? What do think of when you picture 18th century London - Hogarth's "Gin Lane", binge drinking, fighting, murders, riots...