Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Mar 31st 2016, 1:36 am
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Or just stream... Which has been described ad nauseam () and doesn't get you the naughty pup emails
Some stuff just cannot be streamed like Game of Thrones etc or newly released movies on DVD.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:05 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
If it is available from a TV website or on YouTube then it's almost guaranteed to be legal. If it is not available from those sources i.e. Game of Thrones or movies just released on DVD then it is likely (read probably) illegal.
Sure, but what is the indicator that alerts someone to the fact the end user's stream/download is coming from, say, youtube or Fred's dodgy movie site? What are they doing, monitoring every connection?

Or put another way how does anyone know A) you have a plate of peas at home and 2) whether the peas came from the licenced restaurant or the greasy spoon that was closed by the health department.

Obviously there's something that would indicate it - food wrapper, some sort of computer code but what would they do to find it short of breaking in to everyone's kitchen and checking food wrappings or checking everyone's connection?
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Some stuff just cannot be streamed like Game of Thrones etc or newly released movies on DVD.
I've come across a few things not officially released yet.

Episode 6 of The Night Manager was online a week before it was screened by BBC.

Of course there's just the slightest chance that indicates it's illegal but what alerts the powers that be to the fact that someone streamed or downloaded it as opposed to something from youtube or iPlayer?
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:16 am
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sure, but what is the indicator that alerts someone to the fact the end user's stream/download is coming from, say, youtube or Fred's dodgy movie site? What are they doing, monitoring every connection?

Or put another way how does anyone know A) you have a plate of peas at home and 2) whether the peas came from the licenced restaurant or the greasy spoon that was closed by the health department.

Obviously there's something that would indicate it - food wrapper, some sort of computer code but what would they do to find it short of breaking in to everyone's kitchen and checking food wrappings or checking everyone's connection?
Might help you understand.

What Does My Internet Provider See When I'm Downloading Torrents?

Make sure you scroll down and read this bit "The Media Companies Sees What You're Downloading (and Will Tell Your ISP)"
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:31 am
Oscar nominated

Make sure you scroll down and read this bit "The Media Companies Sees What You're Downloading (and Will Tell Your ISP)"
Thanks. It says torrents. What about where torrents are not the means?

I was never able to work them out.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 3:06 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Juss wunderin......

What is there that indicates to anyone interested that one has downloaded as opposed to streamed?
Is it like a plate of peas and the streaming option is like one pea disappearing at a time while the download gobbles them all up in a second?

How would anyone know that it was illicit peas rather than legal beans from youtube for example?

http://www9l.incredimail.com/scache/...11036_prev.gif
I'm no techie- all I know is that I can stream TWD or GOT etc without Snoop getting emails and therefore barking loudly at me and Mini-Stinky- there must be something that they pick up on when people torrent rather than stream. I was even getting my ankles nipped for watching Supernatural FFS!

If it is available from a TV website or on YouTube then it's almost guaranteed to be legal. If it is not available from those sources i.e. Game of Thrones or movies just released on DVD then it is likely (read probably) illegal.

Peas from legal sites OK. Peas via torrents or other means not OK. Further to that, torrents traceable other sources previously mentioned up-thread a little, if on secure servers not traceable.
I like this analogy - I'm not sure though what is defined as legal or not, Kodi uses multiple sources and multiple add-ons- I used usually just one torrent site, Kickasstorrent which presumably wasn't 100% kosher
No doubt someone will put me straight but all that I need to know is that I can watch stuff that I want to watch without hassle from boss
Old Mar 31st 2016, 3:10 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure on that one- I have watched newly released movies via streaming, can't comment about Game of Thrones until it starts.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 1:20 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
... there must be something that they pick up on when people torrent rather than stream.
The article in the link explains the interested parties seek out torrents of "their movies" and begin torrenting them themselves. At that point they can see other users and identify them via IP addresses. But presumably only those connected at that time and not others who already torrented that movie or will do so when the investigators are checking out a different movie or a different torrent site.

Either way it seems not to apply to streaming, or downloading, from a streaming site. Something else might do. Adjusted TV detector van?
Old Mar 31st 2016, 8:20 pm
Banned

veggies is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it that people are still talking about Torrents in 2016? That like mentioning Napster for songs/music

If you are not a heavy TV watcher, and just have a few US network shows you are interested in, and don't mind watching it 1hr after it airs, then you can just stream them via a browser with commercial removed. Good for binge watching on your tablet, phone, or the all singinging/dancing smart TV

How you say? Type 'couchtuner' into google, visit the site, pick your show, then use one of the players (I prefer 'vspot') to stream the show/episodes
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:48 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by veggies
Why is it that people are still talking about Torrents in 2016? That like mentioning Napster for songs/music

If you are not a heavy TV watcher, and just have a few US network shows you are interested in, and don't mind watching it 1hr after it airs, then you can just stream them via a browser with commercial removed. Good for binge watching on your tablet, phone, or the all singinging/dancing smart TV

How you say? Type 'couchtuner' into google, visit the site, pick your show, then use one of the players (I prefer 'vspot') to stream the show/episodes
Erm.. Isn't that what we have been saying??
Old Apr 1st 2016, 12:26 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh I miss Napster. Reminds of my college days.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 1:06 am
Oscar nominated

Why is it that people are still talking about Torrents in 2016?
Because that has been mentioned as one way method people still use and it's a way that was mentioned as being traceable. **
...you can just stream them via a browser
Yes, that's actually what has dominated the conversation here, with the exception that a nice download manager enables the stream (not a torrent) to be downloaded for later.

** as it happens though, occasionally there's a movie I want to see and the only versions of it I can find are torrents. Or I can find it but it's foreign and the only version with subtitles is a torrent.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:47 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a neophyte at this stuff. When I try couch tuner everything I click on triggers a new tab with crappy adverts on it?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 12:57 pm
Banned

veggies is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'm a neophyte at this stuff. When I try couch tuner everything I click on triggers a new tab with crappy adverts on it?
Get adblocker for your browser. I mentioned above you to use any of the players listed to play the episode of the show you want.

@BristolUK...there are places to get 'movies' (even newly released ones) that doesn't involve Torrenting. I currently have the new Helen Mirren 'eye in the sky' movie, superman vs batman, deadpool all in decent quality in less than 1GB format.

I am able to load them onto the SD card (32GB) in my phone to play using VLC, or beam onto my Smart TV from tablet, laptop or phone
Old Apr 1st 2016, 1:29 pm
Oscar nominated

@BristolUK...there are places to get 'movies' (even newly released ones) that doesn't involve Torrenting.
Yes I know. I've downloaded a few before release and some when very new. There are so many available that I'm happy to wait for the good quality versions.

It doesn't change the fact, though, that some movies are only available on torrent sites. I'm not talking new or 'blockbuster' type movies just stuff that you really would think was available given what is 'out there' and easy to find. Admittedly most of them are foreign and available but without subtitles.

It's always subject to change because there have been a few that I've never found and then one day they've appeared on my 'regulars'.

Last week I found a list I'd made a couple of years ago of titles that had proved elusive over a long period. I found about half of them this time.

While some sites appear to have them, they actually don't when you get to them.

Sometimes you get fatigued from looking. So many results which appear successful but they're a dead end.

Can't complain, though, because there are a lot of alternatives. Can't get that one? Pick from this dozen instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.