Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old May 10th 2019, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's now on Netflix.
But how much can I remember of part one two months ago?
Only you can tell and I don't have a lot of faith as you are replying to your own posts
Old May 10th 2019, 10:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Only you can tell and I don't have a lot of faith as you are replying to your own posts

I'm glad I dipped in for the first bits and watched the last half complete. I'd completely forgotten the end.
Old May 16th 2019, 9:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else watching "Chernobyl" on HBO? (Or Crave).

Compelling and horrifying viewing.

Old May 17th 2019, 12:49 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I’m glad that you replied to your own post too...as I revisited series 1, briefly, and very much enjoyed series 2. Worth the watch
Old May 17th 2019, 1:56 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Started on season two of Trapped as well. Think we're three or four episodes in, good as always. Binged on The Umbrella Academy a couple of weeks ago, rather entertaining too.
GOT season 8 is being watched as well, I though there was more than one episode left, appears Sunday is the finale. I'm halfway expecting bran to wake up and reveal it was all just a vision

I had seen a trailer for Chernobyl, so might need to have a watch, did seem rather compelling.
Old May 17th 2019, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Started on season two of Trapped as well. Think we're three or four episodes in, good as always. Binged on The Umbrella Academy a couple of weeks ago, rather entertaining too.
GOT season 8 is being watched as well, I though there was more than one episode left, appears Sunday is the finale. I'm halfway expecting bran to wake up and reveal it was all just a vision

I had seen a trailer for Chernobyl, so might need to have a watch, did seem rather compelling.
Last summer my wife watched S1 of Trapped in one day while I was away she told me I would love it and then we've been watching S1 (or re-watching in her case) and will head on to S2 after. The similarities to Shetland and Hinterland with the world weary policeman and his female sidekick who has lived in the town her whole life are quite striking. There are some words in the dialogue that don't translate to Icelandic and they use an english expression.

The Umbrella Academy was filmed in Hamilton and its outskirts. Its a bit too action hero for my tastes. But to each his own.
Old May 17th 2019, 1:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...There are some words in the dialogue that don't translate to Icelandic and they use an english expression.....
Something came up the other day - I forget what it was - and I thought no way that character would have said that.

I assumed the writer was Icelandic but it seems it was created by an Icelandic guy and the first series co-written with another Icelander and Brit, with the Brit - clive bradley - writing the second season solo.

He has a few other things to his name like The Vice and something called Last Rights that I shall take a look at when I'm not trapped anymore.

Old May 19th 2019, 10:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Killing Eve gets better and better.
Old May 20th 2019, 10:58 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Undercover on Netflix is excellent...I binge watched through this rainy chilly weekend and was not disappointed. It’s Dutch, but yo-yos around Europe with a wash of different languages to keep you on your toes...great acting and a tense storyline...I could feel myself getting quite anxious and ramped up at some points. Enjoy
Old May 20th 2019, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite enjoying Chernobyl, if only because it's forcing me to do a bunch of reading about the topic. I wish the color palette wasn't quite so 'gray', but I guess that's part of the atmosphere they are trying to create. I had no idea that the initial explosion event of Chernobyl occurred during a test of emergency procedures! They wanted to test to see if they could handle a complete lack of power for about 40 seconds between loss of grid power and the generators coming fully online ... seems like they mis-managed the test rather spectacularly! It's a fascinating story.

The GOT conclusion was an utter travesty given the extremely high quality of storytelling (and production, acting, etc) that has brought us this far. 8 years / 8 seasons of meticulously building a political and social backstory, destroyed by a hasty wrap up at the end. I will re-watch the show many times, but I may just stop at the end of season 7!

Can't wait for Big Little Lies season 2!

Last edited by Steerpike; May 20th 2019 at 6:55 pm.
Old May 22nd 2019, 1:43 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about Big Little Lies season 2. Just seems like a money grab to be honest.

I am saddened that Santa Clarita Diet has been cancelled, very much liked it, plus there were cliffhanger like items that need explaining!

I'm being forced to watch Cuckoo. Greg Davies is great, as is the son Dylan. The title character is just an annoying prick that rubs me the wrong way, and yes, I know that's the idea.

Watched the aforementioned Mr Davies' "You fantastic beast", had a very good laugh

I see there is a second series of White Gold, rather liked the first one, so I think this will be consumed post GOT finale (no spoilers )
Old May 22nd 2019, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm being forced to watch Cuckoo. Greg Davies is great, as is the son Dylan. The title character is just an annoying prick that rubs me the wrong way, and yes, I know that's the idea.
Cuckoo started off OK and went downhill. Dylan as a character is a class A scrote. The mother in the show is the high point for me.
Old May 22nd 2019, 9:52 am
BE user by choice

Cuckoo started off OK and went downhill. Dylan as a character is a class A scrote. The mother in the show is the high point for me.
I had forgotten about that...I too thought Greg Davies was well worth the watch. The first episodes were really good and very irritating, as intended, but then yes, it went downhill super fast...
Old May 22nd 2019, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about Big Little Lies season 2. Just seems like a money grab to be honest.
Well, I was shocked that I enjoyed the first series! I only watched it under duress (the g/f controls the remote in my household) and really hated it at first ... bunch of over-privileged folk with nothing better to do than gossip. But the slow reveal of the domestic violence, combined with the totally off-the-radar acting and writing, drew me in and turned me into a complete devotee. So will Season 2 'work'? I have no idea but who knows where they'll take it. The addition of Meryl Streep to an already amazing cast can't hurt either!

... post GOT finale (no spoilers )
Are you serious? I don't think you can be alive on planet earth and not see a bazillion articles about the show's ending
Old May 22nd 2019, 10:35 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well, I was shocked that I enjoyed the first series! I only watched it under duress (the g/f controls the remote in my household) and really hated it at first ... bunch of over-privileged folk with nothing better to do than gossip. But the slow reveal of the domestic violence, combined with the totally off-the-radar acting and writing, drew me in and turned me into a complete devotee. So will Season 2 'work'? I have no idea but who knows where they'll take it. The addition of Meryl Streep to an already amazing cast can't hurt either!

Are you serious? I don't think you can be alive on planet earth and not see a bazillion articles about the show's ending
I'm not usually one to avoid spoilers, I'll actually go and read the synopsis for something before I've seen it, as I find reading it and seeing it are somewhat different. So far I've managed to actually avoid spoilers for it, will likely watch it tomorrow evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.