Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Apr 8th 2019, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Nice double bill tonight. Episode 2, season 5 of Line of Duty and episode 1, season 2 of Killing Eve.

Keeping up the standard
Killing Eve taped but we haven't watched it. It's ok but if I recall S1 was a bit slapstick at times.

Anybody watch Mrs Wilson on PBS, known as The Wilsons on BBC. A true story and very interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs_Wilson

I found S5 Ep 1 of Line of Duty on YouTube last week but so far all of the links for Ep2 are taken down and I can't get the Iplayer to think I'm in the UK anymore. If only the BBC made the Iplayer available outside of the UK for a fee and it worked as an app on Smart TV's.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 4:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Killing Eve taped but we haven't watched it. It's ok but if I recall S1 was a bit slapstick at times..
That's part of the fun for this particular show.

It's over the topness and silliness makes me think of things like Tales of Sherwood Forest, Underworld, Beiderbecke trilogy and, more recently, Patriot.

Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:50 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't followed Formula One since before I moved to Canada (so >15 years). But I must admit to enjoying the Netflix "Drive to Survive" documentary series on the 2018 season. It's very well done.
https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80204890
Old Apr 9th 2019, 12:24 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, via my laptop.

But I got a little fed up up with the unplugging everything where I have my laptop, taking it to the TV, connecting up and then all in reverse again. Too many plugs, cables and stairs involved.

For $99 I bought a very good refurbished thin desktop and I have that connected up with the necessary browsers and add-ons. It sits nicely under the TV.

I do the same Bristol, old laptop with everything ready to go. I use SaferVPN (Multiple devices) 100% success rate for BBC IPlayer now for about 9 months ( I think their tech team pro-actively work hard at this area) If it stops working for a day or day (which it did 9 months go) they get it back quite quickly with new ip adds :-)
Old Apr 9th 2019, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I haven't followed Formula One since before I moved to Canada (so >15 years). But I must admit to enjoying the Netflix "Drive to Survive" documentary series on the 2018 season. It's very well done.
https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80204890
It was a shame that Mercedes and Ferrari didn't allow access and the drama was left to Guenther Steiner et al to provide. One could be forgiven for not realising that Hamilton and Vettel had a great fight for most of the season, or that they won most of the races!

In case you are interested, TSN show all of the grand prix live and obtain their feed from Sky so English commentators and lots of pre-race and post-race comments. They have a qualifying show too. Shanghai grand prix is this weekend.

Old Apr 11th 2019, 3:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It was a shame that Mercedes and Ferrari didn't allow access and the drama was left to Guenther Steiner et al to provide. One could be forgiven for not realising that Hamilton and Vettel had a great fight for most of the season, or that they won most of the races!

In case you are interested, TSN show all of the grand prix live and obtain their feed from Sky so English commentators and lots of pre-race and post-race comments. They have a qualifying show too. Shanghai grand prix is this weekend.
Having not followed F1 at all for years, I found the series quite compelling because it focused so much on the mid-field teams. I hope they make a second series.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Having not followed F1 at all for years, I found the series quite compelling because it focused so much on the mid-field teams. I hope they make a second series.
As you are likely aware, Bernie Ecclestone no longer runs the show and I would guess that this was part of the new owner's (Liberty Media) attempt to take it to a wider audience.

I agree that it was well done.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 11:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Line of Duty, episode 3 done and Killing Eve episode 2.

A whole week until the next ones. This is weird, but they are so good, this way they get to last a bit longer.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 11:57 pm
Oscar nominated

Norwegian series from a few years ago. Mammon. Available on 4OD (but maybe only the second season) or it's on Dailymotion.com where I'm watching.

Only seen first episode so far but I shall watch more.
I'd completely forgotten about this. Someone posted a link to another TV platform and it sounded interesting. I sat down to watch it and immediately realised I'd seen it before. But only the first season.

So now I'm watching season 2. Exciting and tense stuff

Old Apr 29th 2019, 11:45 pm
Oscar nominated

Line of Duty, episode 5 done and Killing Eve episode 4.

Top stuff.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I notice Ep.1 of the show The Looming Tower is showing on BBCiPlayer. This is a production of Amazon Prime Video and all the episodes (10) are available there. I watched it all on Amazon when it first appeared there. Thought it a good production and a exciting show. I’m encouraged to watch it again.
Old May 1st 2019, 12:26 am
Slightly Canadian

I'm rather looking forward to this....

Old May 1st 2019, 1:11 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I notice Ep.1 of the show The Looming Tower is showing on BBCiPlayer. This is a production of Amazon Prime Video and all the episodes (10) are available there. I watched it all on Amazon when it first appeared there. Thought it a good production and a exciting show. I’m encouraged to watch it again.
That's good. I watched it on a different (ahem) streaming site, so this is a good opportunity to watch it on something legit - aside from the licence bit
Old May 1st 2019, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

There is Danish drama on BBC called Follow The Money which is super. Can be bit tricky trying to keep up with everything but well worth the watch
Old May 10th 2019, 9:36 pm
Oscar nominated

Started the second season of Icelandic "Trapped" on BBC iPlayer but unfortunately I wasn't in time to catch the second episode before it disappeared.
So far I can only find unsubtitled versions on other sites so it'll have to wait, presumably until Netflix adds it to the first season..
It's now on Netflix.
But how much can I remember of part one two months ago?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.