Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jan 14th 2019, 8:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

I started Better Call Saul the other day. Bit of a surprise as I had thought it was played for laughs.

Albeit there is some humour in it, plea bargaining from death to a broken leg.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I started Better Call Saul the other day. Bit of a surprise as I had thought it was played for laughs.

Albeit there is some humour in it, plea bargaining from death to a broken leg.
I prefer it to Breaking Bad. Howard Hamlin has a face like Piers Morgan in that he is so smug you want him to suffer a misfortune.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 10:31 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Instant Hotel on Netflix...it’s addictive - wonderfully terrible in an unmissable sort of way. It’s Australian and I’m not overly keen on their telly generally, but the people and locations are varied and nice and utterly dreadful in turn. It’s just my son and me at present and crap weather...so it was nice to watch something that we could see together and get involved in and discuss - he isn’t much into my Scandi Dark dectetives with subtitles daily fodder. Give it a try - you may well surprise yourself
Old Jan 19th 2019, 1:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Just received an email from Netflix, price going up from $10.99 to $13.99 a month. That's me finished with them will stick with Acorn TV.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Just received an email from Netflix, price going up from $10.99 to $13.99 a month. That's me finished with them will stick with Acorn TV.
Is Acorn worth it more than BritBox? What is that you watch on Acorn a lot?
Old Jan 26th 2019, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
2nd season now scheduled to be starting February 19. Watched episode 2 and it gets stranger. What I thought was an odd middle age couple turn out to be brother and sister. IT must be a Belgian thing.
We've watched 8 out of 10 episodes on S1 now and it is very good. The first 7 episodes were in French with english subtitles and then all of a sudden Episode 8 was dubbed into english which was very strange as we hadn't changed any settings. The first couple of minutes of Ep 9 are also in english. I noticed in the dubbing they said 'acres' instead of hectares.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 4:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We've watched 8 out of 10 episodes on S1 now and it is very good. The first 7 episodes were in French with english subtitles and then all of a sudden Episode 8 was dubbed into english which was very strange as we hadn't changed any settings. The first couple of minutes of Ep 9 are also in english. I noticed in the dubbing they said 'acres' instead of hectares.
Subtitled all the way through for me.

I started to watch something a couple of weeks ago that was dubbed. Dogs of Berlin. I didn't like it and the dubbing didn't help so gave up. But then I made a "discovery" (a discovery to me anyhow).

I had always assumed that something on Netflix not English language was available with English subtitles or you could remove them - just as something in English you could choose English subtitles as well.

I hadn't changed any of the settings when DoB started so I assumed it was dubbed only. A week or so after, something else was dubbed too. So I played with the settings. Previously I've only been aware of them on the top right of the screen but there were some top left. And they included options for original language or dubbed to English.

So, what began as dubbed to English for me, I changed to original and English subs.

In addition, yesterday I had to sign in for the first time in over a year. Twice.

It could be that something has been resetting for some unknown reason and you might be able to change it back.

Old Jan 26th 2019, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

The new season of "Luther' is on BBC Canada starting on Sunday and on Showcase starting on Monday. Showcase is in HD and BBC Canada, a mere shadow of a channel that it was when it first became available, is only in SD.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

True Detective Season 3. As good as the 1st series and certainly not as dire as the 2nd one!
Definately worth a warch
Old Jan 27th 2019, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

The new season of "Luther' is on BBC Canada starting on Sunday and on Showcase starting on Monday. Showcase is in HD and BBC Canada, a mere shadow of a channel that it was when it first became available, is only in SD.
It was the worst season of them all. Bitterly disappointed with it
Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone see the series TIN STAR ? It's set in Alberta, High River and Waterton, and made in 2017. UK cop being terrorised by oil sands people something. Could only wath the first episode as a bit violent, and not really my genre. Just wondering if it was shown in Canada?
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Anyone see the series TIN STAR ? It's set in Alberta, High River and Waterton, and made in 2017. UK cop being terrorised by oil sands people something. Could only wath the first episode as a bit violent, and not really my genre. Just wondering if it was shown in Canada?
It's been on one of the cable channels that we have, but I didn't look at it. Did I miss much?

When filming was taking place in High River, they stored all of their vehicles at my friend's acreage. I turned up one day to pick him up and there were loads of "police cars" parked in a line next to his truck.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 11:17 pm
Oscar nominated

Ballot Monkeys.

Why has nobody recommended this before? It's a right good giggle. If you liked Drop the Dead Donkey you'll like this and that's no great surprise with the brilliant writers Guy Jenkin and Andy Hamilton.

There's an epsiode (part 2) on youtube and lots of clips.

It's also on Daily Motion.

Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

On Netflix seen following lately on Netflix.. Shitsel - Israel production of Orthodox family -loved it.. Justice - Arabic production - liked it.. Now watching 2nd season of BorderTown. Oh and also really liked 1st and 2nd season of Novine - Croation production..All of these are subtitled as I cannot stand shows where there is dubbing.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
On Netflix seen following lately on Netflix.. Shitsel - Israel production of Orthodox family -loved it.. Justice - Arabic production - liked it.. Now watching 2nd season of BorderTown. Oh and also really liked 1st and 2nd season of Novine - Croation production..All of these are subtitled as I cannot stand shows where there is dubbing.
We've been watching Border Town and have watched most of Season 1 which was dubbed into english on Netflix Canada. The funny thing is that they dubbed from Finnish to English but there were some times where they spoke Russian and that wasn't always dubbed. As well, sometimes notices or newspaper articles in Finnish were not subtitled into english.

A friend of my wife's is watching Season 2 and said it is subtitled.

Just started watching Season 2 of Ozark.....what a festering cabal of critters lives down there in Missouri.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.