Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Nov 3rd 2018, 12:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Hey Shard..you have a lot to catch up on.

I watched S6 E1 last night. S6 does have an aura about it that it is the end of the line.
It will take me ages! But at least some fiction to watch now that the nights are longer.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 1:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry PD can't help you . Most football movies aren't that great including that one with Pele and Bobby Moore.
It wasn't really a football movie (or TV show) really. I think there was a goal shown, which looked like it was from a real televised match, but there was more crowd action than football
A bit on the training ground.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 12:50 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Shard..you have a lot to catch up on.

I watched S6 E1 last night. S6 does have an aura about it that it is the end of the line.
I binged Season 6 over the weekend. Overall, a disappointment. Won't go into details so as not to spoil but HoC really peaked around Season 2, possibly 3 and has been on a downward trajectory ever since.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 1:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I binged Season 6 over the weekend. Overall, a disappointment. Won't go into details so as not to spoil but HoC really peaked around Season 2, possibly 3 and has been on a downward trajectory ever since.
That's good to know. I don't much like Frank's wife, so can't see her holding the fort post Frank. American politics certainly seems more glamorous than UK politics, but maybe that's just the setting.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 1:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That's good to know. I don't much like Frank's wife, so can't see her holding the fort post Frank. American politics certainly seems more glamorous than UK politics, but maybe that's just the setting.
Oh, she comes into her own well enough a few times.

I've not seen the new ones yet and while the last season wasn't as good as earlier ones, it was still very watchable especially in view of the real thing.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 1:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Cute monster

That's not visible to me (again) even though it shows in the quote. Hopefully others can see it.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 5th 2018 at 1:15 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 1:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't already seen it, I would urge you to seek out the original BBC House of Cards adaptation from the 90's. Ian Richardson is absolutely sublime as the devious Francis Urquhart & while it isn't quite as polished as the Netflix adaptation it is extremely good.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:59 pm
Yo

If you haven't already seen it, I would urge you to seek out the original BBC House of Cards adaptation from the 90's. Ian Richardson is absolutely sublime as the devious Francis Urquhart & while it isn't quite as polished as the Netflix adaptation it is extremely good.
Haven't seen it, nor heard of it, but will look out for it !
Old Nov 5th 2018, 3:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Haven't seen it, nor heard of it, but will look out for it !
Can be found on YouTube:

(You might think that but I couldn't possible comment...)
Old Nov 6th 2018, 11:56 pm
Oscar nominated

Just started watching La trĂªve on Netflix (The Break). Belgian cop investigating death of a footballer who had been playing for the local team.
This is coming along very nicely. So much going on in a relatively small place.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 11:55 am
Yo

Can be found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VB_JMvcVfs

(You might think that but I couldn't possible comment...)
Thanks. In due course!
Old Nov 12th 2018, 11:54 pm
Oscar nominated

So, I've done the first four episodes of S6 House Of Cards. I'm loving it. Maybe it's not peak Francis but Claire had been fairly accomplished previously and I think I'm enjoying it as much as, if not more than, previous ones.

There's plenty of fourth wall breaking too and I'm always happy with that.

As for the two versions, I was immediately hooked by the UK version, although I don't remember the third part being up to par. But writing for the screen is very different to writing a book and Andrew Davies (an accomplished TV writer) was the writer for the original TV series. That was undoubtedly a success and there's no reason that a version suited to US politics also written by Andrew Davies wouldn't work as well. That it has lasted just confirms it.

And besides, Francis is still there. Who else is knocking twice?
Old Nov 13th 2018, 4:43 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I downloaded this last night, it is getting good reviews so far and I can't wait to watch it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46194106
Old Nov 16th 2018, 5:05 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I downloaded this last night, it is getting good reviews so far and I can't wait to watch it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46194106
It was brilliantly done.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Another good offering from the Coen brothers now on Netflix:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.