Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Apr 5th 2018, 4:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by bats
I want escapism not gritty realism.
I like both but I have to be in the mood for gritty. I watched I, Daniel Blake but I don't fancy too much of that sort of stuff anymore.

I lap up Jason Bourne and James Bond. It's good to see the cold war returning and the current season of Homeland is really very good and bang on.

Certain aspects seem 'unbelievable' but then you remind yourself who's in the White House.

There's a new BBC mini-series coming up. Killing Eve.

Did you ever watch Benidorm? Trashy and tacky. Most unlike me but I love it.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 5:43 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I like both but I have to be in the mood for gritty. I watched I, Daniel Blake but I don't fancy too much of that sort of stuff anymore.

I lap up Jason Bourne and James Bond. It's good to see the cold war returning and the current season of Homeland is really very good and bang on.

Certain aspects seem 'unbelievable' but then you remind yourself who's in the White House.

Did you ever watch Benidorm? Trashy and tacky. Most unlike me but I love it.
We don't watch uk tv now as we got rid of the VPN.

I enjoyed the first few seasons of Homeland but then got tired of all the US flag waving . Maybe it's different now

Used to watch The Blacklist too but it's gone on too long and is a bit samey.

Designated Survivor is ok too, I've missed a few but watched it last night and didn't feel I needed to catch up to watch it.

I really liked the Good Wife and am enjoying The Good Fight now, Christine Baranski is always good to watch.

Oh the live version of Jesus Christ Superstar that ABC did is excellent. I watched on YouTube but you can stream from ABC.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 8:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We don't watch uk tv now as we got rid of the VPN.

I enjoyed the first few seasons of Homeland but then got tired of all the US flag waving . Maybe it's different now
It is.

Other ways of watching.

Have a look over this site - easy streaming. Loads include subtitles/captions and that nifty little back 10 seconds feature.
No registration needed. Just look for a title you might be interested in, look for the little box that says all episodes (as opposed to just the latest ones).

Occasionally there's a buffering issue but just try one of the alternatives that's visible...although it may not have the nifty features. If the buffering is really irritating, come back another time.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 8:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Currently binge watching an Australian series, 'A Place to call Home' set in the 1950's a nurse moving to OZ rescues a man trying to jump over board from the liner. The man is gay, but has just got married in the UK to a socialite. The man is from a society family in the town the nurse is moving to. Currently watching series 5 with a further series later this year. It's a bit like Downton set in OZ but without the titles. The series does seem to finish after series 3 but obviously it was bought by a different group who wanted it to continue, and it has done with the same cast etc.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Used to watch The Blacklist too but it's gone on too long and is a bit samey.
Totally understand your thoughts on this. My wife and I watched maybe 2 or so seasons of it on Netflix and it just seemed to be more and more down a rabbit hole of people protecting each other and the 'cabal' and so on and so on and the plots got sillier and sillier. Like many US shows which are tied to advertising the advertisors want more of the same so the US networks just keep on churning out season after season of the same old stuff. i.e Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Roseanne (old and new) etc.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I want escapism not gritty realism.
So what you're saying is you're more of a Take That/Bucks Fizz fan than a Smiths/Velvet Underground fan.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 11:50 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It is.

Other ways of watching.

Have a look over this site - easy streaming. Loads include subtitles/captions and that nifty little back 10 seconds feature.
No registration needed. Just look for a title you might be interested in, look for the little box that says all episodes (as opposed to just the latest ones).

Occasionally there's a buffering issue but just try one of the alternatives that's visible...although it may not have the nifty features. If the buffering is really irritating, come back another time.
I'll give it a try sometime though I don't recognise many of the series names!

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
So what you're saying is you're more of a Take That/Bucks Fizz fan than a Smiths/Velvet Underground fan.
Eeek,. I used to love the misery sitting n a dark room listening to Leonard Cohen, Scott Walker, and the like. There's enough real misery around now to warrant escapism and fluffiness"
Old Apr 5th 2018, 12:37 pm
Oscar nominated

I'll give it a try sometime though I don't recognise many of the series names!
Oh I don't pay attention to those. That would be like going on iPlayer and dismissing BBC output because Eastenders, The Generation Game and Top Gear was featured on the main page Get past those and find something you want to watch.

I meant that I use the site to seek out something specific. Someone posted about The Looming Tower so I checked it out on IMDB and it interested me.

So I looked for it on that site. I've also been watching Benidorm and Homeland on it too.

And the one-legged detective show is there too. Strike.

Last edited by BristolUK; Apr 5th 2018 at 12:40 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 12:40 pm
limey party pooper

dx
Oh I don't pay attention to those. That would be like going on iPlayer and dismissing BBC output because Eastenders, The Generation Game and Top Gear was featured on the main page

I meant that I use the site to seek out something specific. Someone posted about The Looming Tower so I checked it out on IMDB and it interested me.

So I looked for it on that site. I've also been watching Benidorm and Homeland on it too.

And the one-legged detective show is there too. Strike.
I'll try it out this weekend and report back.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 6:50 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by reddiva
The looming Tower....
Definitely one to watch. Up to part 6 so far.

Jeff Daniels was really good in "The Newsroom" and he's similar in this.
Not sure about the girl in every port thing though.

I like they way they keep coming back to the 2004 hearings which lends authenticity - or the belief of authenticity - to the accounts we've just seen.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 11:53 am
Oscar nominated

Just watched the first episode. A good start, plenty of 'thriller' ingredients but quite a few laughs too. That was a surprise.

I think I'm going to enjoy more.

Instinct might be worth a look too.

Last edited by BristolUK; Apr 9th 2018 at 12:12 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 11:53 am
Oscar nominated

Just watched the first Instinct. It was entertaining enough in an Elementary sort of way. But it was still a middle of the road procedural cop show from mainstream (US) TV and I want a bit more than that these days.

But it does have Alan Cumming in a starring role so I might keep it spare for when I'm between episodes of other stuff.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:34 am
Oscar nominated

Mark Strong plays a 'retired' British Agent called upon for another job in Deep State and wife doesn't know his past.

Off to a decent start with episode one.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 7:30 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Tangram
On the Beeb ....

Mum
Ah yes, just catching up on series 2 now.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 12:00 pm
Oscar nominated

I want to raise some money to hire the cold blooded Assassin, Villanelle from Killing Eve to bump off Diane Priest from The Looming Tower.

Anyone willing to contribute or at least suggest how you'd like to see her die?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.