Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by MillieF
I might have said upthread? Seven Seconds. Absolutely brilliant. Good acting. An ending that took my breath away, but that was the only ending that was feasible.

Well worth the watch. Not overly violent and not of that grey suck the life out of you sort either. Sad? Yes, but only like life can be.
I watched it and found it compelling and I think I've cancelled summer holiday plans to Jersey City, NJ..the one thing that got to me was the language. I get it, they work in an environment but do they have to f this and f that and use the 'c' word so often. The character called D'Angelo was a particularly offensive critter.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Is there anything to watch on Metflix or Crave TV that isn't gloom and doom, or have gruesome violence?
Don't know about Crave TV but on Netflix you may like Last Tango in Halifax, Broadchurch, Land Girls (quite light and frothy), Retribution, Shetland, Better Call Saul (not as depressing as Breaking Bad), Mad Men, The Office, House of Cards, Halt and Catch Fire
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 12:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Don't know about Crave TV but on Netflix you may like Last Tango in Halifax, Broadchurch, Land Girls (quite light and frothy), Retribution, Shetland, Better Call Saul (not as depressing as Breaking Bad), Mad Men, The Office, House of Cards, Halt and Catch Fire
Broadchurch is let down by the continuously overly dramatic music. Plus the unremittingly bleak subject matter.

Halt and Catch Fire is to be thoroughly recommended though.

On Crave TV - Billions. (S3 just started) and, if you appreciate SciFi, "The Expanse" which is pretty much the best thing on TV.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Broadchurch is let down by the continuously overly dramatic music. Plus the unremittingly bleak subject matter.

On Crave TV - Billions. (S3 just started) and, if you appreciate SciFi, "The Expanse" which is pretty much the best thing on TV.
Agree that the music in Broadchurch can be a bit much. Seasons 1 and 2 are better than 3 which is a stand alone story.

There is also The Crown, or for a hospital series there is Grey's Anatomy.

Has anyone tried britbox?

https://www.britbox.com/ca/
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

The looming Tower

Based on true events leading up to 9/11
Jeff Bridges stars. Superb series and I wish they had released season 1 all in one go
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 2:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Netflix - London Spy. The earlier Shetland seasons. Intelligence.

And good for a laugh Norsemen.
Shetland, grey and rainy. Couldn't get into London Spy.

I might have said upthread? Seven Seconds. Absolutely brilliant. Good acting. An ending that took my breath away, but that was the only ending that was feasible.

Well worth the watch. Not overly violent and not of that grey suck the life out of you sort either. Sad? Yes, but only like life can be.
I watched it and found it compelling and I think I've cancelled summer holiday plans to Jersey City, NJ..the one thing that got to me was the language. I get it, they work in an environment but do they have to f this and f that and use the 'c' word so often. The character called D'Angelo was a particularly offensive critter.
Started watching 7 Seconds and it us good but I am put off by the effing etc. I swear and don't mind it it real life but this swearing has so much anger behind it.

Retribution, we watched episode 1 last night. Pretty nasty, ominous, grey. Weeping and wailing. Have done Broadchurch. Love House of Cards. Hated The Office, Mad Men.
Will try the others.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Will try those.

Agree that the music in Broadchurch can be a bit much. Seasons 1 and 2 are better than 3 which is a stand alone story.

I can't watch hospital stuff as I get annoyed when it's nonsense. Unless it's utter nonsense like House was. The most realistic hospital series is Scrubs which I love.

I'd like to know about BritBox too.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 2:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reddiva
The looming Tower

Based on true events leading up to 9/11
Jeff Bridges stars. Superb series and I wish they had released season 1 all in one go
Now that looks worth a look. Jeff Daniels, I think, though.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shetland, grey and rainy.

Retribution, we watched episode 1 last night. Pretty nasty, ominous, grey. Weeping and wailing.
You're british..you're supposed to like grey, rainy, gloomy shows. If you wanted upbeat positive stuff you'd have been American and love disney shows.

I guess the Killing or the Wire aren't to be recommended then.

We just started watching Fallet on Netflix which is in english and Swedish and is a crime show with some absurdity. When they speak to the english character it is in english..the rest is in Swedish with subtitles. All of the Swedish speak excellent english...draw you own conclusion on the brit. Adam Godley is in it. He was in Suits and Breaking Bad

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6433844/

Last edited by Partially discharged; Apr 3rd 2018 at 4:02 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 5:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You're british..you're supposed to like grey, rainy, gloomy shows. If you wanted upbeat positive stuff you'd have been American and love disney shows.

I guess the Killing or the Wire aren't to be recommended then.

We just started watching Fallet on Netflix which is in english and Swedish and is a crime show with some absurdity. When they speak to the english character it is in english..the rest is in Swedish with subtitles. All of the Swedish speak excellent english...draw you own conclusion on the brit. Adam Godley is in it. He was in Suits and Breaking Bad

Fallet (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb

I actually really like The Killing, husband didn't though. He's definitely not good with glum and grim plus he gets seriously grumpy trying to chose on Netflix.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I actually really like The Killing, husband didn't though. He's definitely not good with glum and grim plus he gets seriously grumpy trying to chose on Netflix.
The last season set at a boys private/military school was nowhere near as good as the other seasons.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at it. I suspect I’ll be cancelling Acorn TV.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Now that looks worth a look. Jeff Daniels, I think, though.
I really liked this one.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 1:52 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

How dreadful is this...I hadn't noticed the langage! When it has a North American accent..I think I take is as a 'given'. I find lots of other things offensive for the same reason.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 10:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How dreadful is this...I hadn't noticed the langage!

When it has a North American accent..I think I take is as a 'given'.

I find lots of other things offensive for the same reason.
I don't find it offensive, just rather pointless.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 2:20 pm
limey party pooper

I don't find it offensive, just rather pointless.
Yes you're right it isn't offensive but verbally aggressive and jarring. Somebody in a comedy saying "****, ****, ****" doesn't feel like an assault they way that these do. I suppose it tells us that the characters are horrible people but you can get that from their actions.

I want escapism not gritty realism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.