Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Feb 15th 2018, 12:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

So, the premise behind Hard Sun is that the world is going to end in five years. That's not really a spoiler as it comes out so early.

The security services are after anyone with the evidence of this fearing a major breakdown of society the closer to the 5 year point we get to.

Meanwhile, the police have their investigations to continue with a couple of them having the evidence.

At first I was thinking it was decent enough but I wasn't sure I'd stick with it. After all, how can you become invested in any characters knowing that whatever happens everyone dies. Unless Superman or International Rescue saves the planet in the last episode.

I felt that numerous other secrets or cover-ups - who really killed Kennedy or was Ali Bin Nasser bribed or something else fictional - could have been used that didn't involve everyone perishing.

But now I've seen the first four parts I think it definitely adds something. It could still easily have been written with a different secret and the murderous behaviours while triggered or influenced by the belief in doomsday were set on course from other events and may well have happened anyway. It's nothing we've not seen before in other thrillers, after all.

Which, of course, means that without the doomsday issue it could be just another cop series.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Rather old hat now but I've just started watching "Strike Back" on CraveTV. Intellectually challenging it 'aint but it passes the time...
That rings a bell. Just IMDB'd it and I know of it but not sure if I gave it a go. I always enjoyed The Unit, but Strike Back seems to have been Sky made at a time when Sky didn't make much that was any good.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That rings a bell. Just IMDB'd it and I know of it but not sure if I gave it a go. I always enjoyed The Unit, but Strike Back seems to have been Sky made at a time when Sky didn't make much that was any good.
It's OK. Production values are pretty good. Only annoyance is that I've somehow come into the second season rather than the 1st. Ah well. It's still be entertaining.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 1:47 am
Oscar nominated

Case on Netflix. Icelandic, so subtitled.

Just watched the first four parts tonight.

Police investigating a suicide. It's certainly very 'modern'
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

On the Beeb ....
Collateral TV Series
Keeping Faith
Shetland
Mum
Waiting on new series of Strike
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

We've been watching a couple of series on Amazon Prime, 'Smile of a Mockingbird' and 'Dog' both are Russian TV series with English subtitles, Dog is a cop series, with a somewhat incompetent senior officer, a detective released from his job because of alcohol problems and a dog he befriends, the fact that the dog is a GSD and appears to have had some training and also dislikes the superior officer is part of the story, The episodes are a bit naf, but still watchable. Smile is a more competent series, girl gets swept of her feet by a rich 'businessman' (and in Russia that usually meant being of dubious character) man gets fed up with her, arranges for her to be convicted of a murder, she goes to jail but gets out on parole when there are concerns about the conviction and then she attempts to regain custody of the two kids.

Neither of then will win awards, but both watchable.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:45 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by mikelincs
...both are Russian
Any doping?
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
We've been watching a couple of series on Amazon Prime, 'Smile of a Mockingbird' and 'Dog' both are Russian TV series with English subtitles, Dog is a cop series, with a somewhat incompetent senior officer, a detective released from his job because of alcohol problems and a dog he befriends, the fact that the dog is a GSD and appears to have had some training and also dislikes the superior officer is part of the story, The episodes are a bit naf, but still watchable. Smile is a more competent series, girl gets swept of her feet by a rich 'businessman' (and in Russia that usually meant being of dubious character) man gets fed up with her, arranges for her to be convicted of a murder, she goes to jail but gets out on parole when there are concerns about the conviction and then she attempts to regain custody of the two kids.

Neither of then will win awards, but both watchable.
On Amazon Prime there’s a movie BREACH about the American spy who caused the biggest American Security breach in history. Got good cast. Entertaining.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:06 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
On Amazon Prime there’s a movie BREACH about the American spy who caused the biggest American Security breach in history. Got good cast. Entertaining.
I remember enjoying that a few years ago but I don't remember the cast at all, even looking over it on IMDB.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished Altered Carbon on Netflix. Science Fiction with 10 episodes, 8 of which were very good.

Also watched a Japanese show called Re:Mind. Murder mystery esque story. In subtitles, but if you can get past it, I recommend it.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 2:17 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by mahdawg
...watched a Japanese show called Re:Mind....
Hmmm....according to IMDB, high school girls in bondage.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Hmmm....according to IMDB, high school girls in bondage.
Ah yes, I did read a couple of reviews that mentioned this as well. This was afterwards, not my main intention for watching. Scouts honour

Nonetheless, once you get past the Japanese schoolgirls that have been kidnapped and tied to chairs, it's a good show
Old Mar 12th 2018, 12:22 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
On the Beeb ....
Collateral TV Series
Keeping Faith
Shetland
Mum
Waiting on new series of Strike
Collateral is now on Netflix, as a Limited Series? I suppose it's on for a short time? I binge watched it this weekend, and might do the same next weekend too, as it's well worth a repeat. Well worth the watch and highly enjoyable...made me forget the weather!
Old Mar 12th 2018, 1:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Just started watching "The Looming Tower" on Amazon Prime. Dramatisation of the events prior to 9/11 and infighting between FBI & CIA. Two ep's in it's pretty good.

Later this month, looking forward to Season 3 of "Billion's" (S1 & 2 on Crave TV), which is entertaining stuff and then of course next month, the best SciFi series pretty much ever returns - "The Expanse".
Old Mar 18th 2018, 4:34 pm
Oscar nominated

Middle of Shetland (4) on iPlayer so far. As always, perfect viewing for whisky7up.

Lovely to see Bergen again, which I recognised instantly from Varg Veum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.