Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Dec 8th 2017, 7:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Oink
I watched the first season of Man Down on Netflix last night. Was really quite good.
I don't think I could take anything seriously with Mrs McClusky in it. Unless she's playing a headmistress of course.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 12:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Watched the second Drugsland (Bristol drugs issues) tonight. I've not recognised anyone yet.

Such desperate lives.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Watched the second Drugsland (Bristol drugs issues) tonight. I've not recognised anyone yet.

Such desperate lives.
I watched that as well. Depressing to say the least. The general consensus seemed to be 'everybody is going to do recreational drugs anyway so people don't have to be responsible for their actions.

Not my scene. I prefer a pint of IPA if truth be told.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

On ROGERS in the GTA we’re getting SuperChannel for free until, I think, September, 2018. Great show on there called Berlin Station. Good spy type stuff
Old Dec 9th 2017, 4:31 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
On ROGERS in the GTA we’re getting SuperChannel for free until, I think, September, 2018. Great show on there called Berlin Station. Good spy type stuff
Yes that was good. I think I mentioned it back a bit.
Once you got past Rhys Ifans' (he of the daggy underpants in Notting Hill) American accent it was very enjoyable.

Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:48 am
Oscar nominated

I thought I had mentioned Witnesses C4(Les Témoins) which was pretty good but I just started the second season (BBC) tonight (iPlayer).

Off to a really good start, full of mystery and the bonus of highly gorgeous talented Audrey Fleurot from Spiral.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I had mentioned Witnesses C4(Les Témoins) which was pretty good but I just started the second season (BBC) tonight (iPlayer).

Off to a really good start, full of mystery and the bonus of highly gorgeous talented Audrey Fleurot from Spiral.
It is/was on Netflix as my wife watched it in the summer and enjoyed it. The Netflix version contained subtitles which helped her but my son preferred it just listening to the dialogue in french.

Is the Iplayer version dubbed or subtitled.?
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:26 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
It is/was on Netflix as my wife watched it in the summer and enjoyed it. The Netflix version contained subtitles which helped her but my son preferred it just listening to the dialogue in french.

Is the Iplayer version dubbed or subtitled.?
I think that was probably just season one on Netflix with S2 being too new. BBC still has last 2 parts to show.

Subtitled on iPlayer. Strange thing though, if you turn subtitles off it only turns off the "plays music" or "grunts" sort of commentary.

It's actually good to turn that off because it obscures the dialogue.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think that was probably just season one on Netflix with S2 being too new. BBC still has last 2 parts to show.

Subtitled on iPlayer. Strange thing though, if you turn subtitles off it only turns off the "plays music" or "grunts" sort of commentary.

No..I just checked and it was both seasons on Netflix. My wife watched it, raved about it and let a lady down the street who has recently moved here from Paris know about it.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 1:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

That "sort of commentary" is subtitles for the hard of hearing.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 1:55 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
No..I just checked and it was both seasons on Netflix. ..
Well that's impressive then

Originally Posted by bats
That "sort of commentary" is subtitles for the hard of hearing.
Yes, I know. But it's not much good if it obscures dialogue whether hard of hearing or needing the translation and that's what it does on something where the broadcast already includes subtitles. Of course I understand why.

Sometimes a combination of muffled speech and noise going on around me I watch Peaky Blinders on iPlayer with subtitles and the commentary parts don't obscure the dialogue because it's specially done that way.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Some good binge watching material now available on BBC iPlayer for the Christmas period. All 4 seasons of Line of Duty, 2 seasons of Happy Valley among others such as Peaky Blinders, Sherlock and Taboo.

On Netflix, Manhunt, about the seeking/capture of the Unabomber and a new one called Wormwood, a spy thriller, apparently.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

One of best shows I have seen in a long time is "Godless" on Netflix with Jeff Daniels. It is superb!
Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

https://flixed.io/britbox-expands-canada/

Anyone used this service in the US or know anything more?
Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
xOne of best shows I have seen in a long time is "Godless" on Netflix with Jeff Daniels. It is superb!
It looks like we gave up on that half way through the first episode but I've no idea why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.