Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jul 16th 2017, 3:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Interesting choice Jodie Whittaker .. May have to watch Broadchurch now to see if she is any good
Oh, she is. Hopefully without the Broadchurch accent.

I wonder who the next male actor will be for Miss Marple.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting choice Jodie Whittaker .. May have to watch Broadchurch now to see if she is any good
I may actually watch it now as well. Great actress in Broadchurch especially series 1 and 2. I actually know next to nothing about Dr Who..it is a genre of television that I tend to ignore.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 5:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
...I actually know next to nothing about Dr Who.....
Old Jul 16th 2017, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Alan Partridge, The Office UK, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Fall, Happy Valley, Benidorm, Saxondale, League of Gentlemen, the IT Crowd (despite it having a laugh track) more my thing.

I've also never watched Star Wars or Star Trek (show or movies). I gather I'm a lost cause.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:30 pm
Oscar nominated

Alan Partridge, The Office UK, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Fall, Happy Valley, Benidorm, Saxondale, League of Gentlemen, the IT Crowd (despite it having a laugh track) more my thing.
They all float my boat...nice to see someone else appreciates the hilarious Benidorm.

I've also never watched Star Wars or Star Trek (show or movies).
Never been a great sci-fi fan myself but Star Trek TV and second movie onwards, including the reboots, were good. Star Wars? Meh.

Some things just don't seem particularly sci-fi though.

Maybe growing up with Doctor Who, Space Patrol, Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds, Lost in Space, Star Trek, The Avengers, Adam Adamant etc just made it all more normal
Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
They all float my boat...nice to see someone else appreciates the hilarious Benidorm.

Never been a great sci-fi fan myself but Star Trek TV and second movie onwards, including the reboots, were good. Star Wars? Meh.

Some things just don't seem particularly sci-fi though.

Maybe growing up with Doctor Who, Space Patrol, Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds, Lost in Space, Star Trek, The Avengers, Adam Adamant etc just made it all more normal
I appreciate "Benidorm" after being in a Spanish seaside resort called Cambrils for a week and taking a day trip to Salou. Cambrils is a resort almost exclusively visited by fellow Spaniards and Cambrils (15 km ? away) is full of Brits and Germans (fighting over the deck chairs and has all of the things that brits on holidays miss (fish and chip shops, curry, sky sports, low end gambling). Our Spanish hosts in Cambrils told us 'you don't want to go to Salou..it attracts people who don't want to experience Spain'.

Other shows to recommend:

The Killing (avoid the final season)
Rectify
Dreamland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia...lian_TV_series) If you liked Yes, Prime Minister you'll like this.

Having to deal with local government daily in my job, Dreamland is very close to the bone with the mindset of many municipal employees I deal with.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 10:19 pm
Oscar nominated

...Cambrils...has all of the things that brits on holidays miss (fish and chip shops, curry, sky sports, low end gambling).
I've stayed in a couple of hotels in Tenerife very like The Solana but only in terms of what it looks like around the pool, thank goodness.

But I've stayed in San Antonio, Malia and Faliraki so I know all about the excesses.

I see Dreamland (Utopia but not the Channel 4 Utopia ) is on Netflix.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 12:37 pm
Oscar nominated

Interesting choice Jodie Whittaker ..
Female-led 'Doctor Who' stokes talk about lack of visible minority heroines
“Doctor Who” fan Melissa Perez was excited to hear one of her favourite TV series had picked a woman for the leading role. But she couldn’t deny feeling a little disappointed.

Even though the casting of lauded British actress Jodie Whittaker is widely considered a step in the right direction for the show, Perez points out she’s also another white heroine in a genre that has already embraced many.

“I see people talking about how we’ve come so far and how roles for women have improved so much. And then I look at the examples they give,” says Perez, who identifies as Afro-Latina and writes about “Doctor Who” for Black Girl Nerds, a website tackling the world of fandom.

“All the characters are white — they’re white women.”
Someone's not been paying attention.
Bill Potts, the latest companion to The Doctor. Martha Jones too.

In fact two out of the last six female companions (since the reboot) have been non white.

Of course, she may be making a general point but she is a Doctor Who writer and a little recognition of the sort of advances she bemoans as absent elsewhere wouldn't have gone amiss.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:54 pm
Oscar nominated

The Spa

Hilarious and from the writer of Benidorm. Similar but quite different all at the same time. Real laugh out loud stuff. Again.

Cringe-worthy too.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 6:47 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Wild Alaska Live. - a kind of Badass Springwatch with bears wolves orcas and other whales, massive eagle populations- etc instead of fluffy bunnies and squirrels etc.

Having visited Alaska I have also been for a day out to see the amazing massive coastal brown bears in the Katmai peninsula where they can't be hunted. One of the best things that I have ever done- they were all around you. Within about 8-10 feet BBC produced, Matt Baker and co- no Bill Oddie though

If you love wildlife, do not miss!
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Wild Alaska Live. Within about 8-10 feet BBC produced, Matt Baker and co- no Bill Oddie though

If you love wildlife, do not miss!
No Bill Oddie. Well there goes the Norwich audience.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 4:29 pm
Oscar nominated

Old Aug 2nd 2017, 6:43 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

No Bill Oddie. Well there goes the Norwich audience.
Why Norwich- wouldnt that be Partridge?

Goodie Goodie Yum Yum....
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 7:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not Bill Oddie, he lives in North London
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alan seemed to have an obsession with Bill Oddie and the pedestrianization of Norwich City Centre.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.