Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Mar 17th 2022, 6:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

I've had some Mustangs, they're rather fun but then any convertible is better than any hardtop.

On topic, acknowledging the ghost of Souxsie, the Tinder Swindler contains a delightful scene of a woman enjoying her revenge served cold.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Yes....it is certainly an icon now, I am going to sound like my parents used to now.... but they don't make cars like they used to.... everyone seems obsessed with SUVs now.... like that abomination they now call the Mustang... an SUV and electric!! everything the Mustang is not!

I shall reminisce about Bodie and Doyle's Silver and Gold Capri's.... and if you want something more executive Cowley's MkII Granada... lol ahh happy days
Watching that YouTube video on the Capri, it's amazing how they 'badged' certain things that were considered 'advanced' at the time, like 'TC' or 'Twin Carbs', 'Disc Brakes', 'Fuel Injection', etc. I can see a Monty Python-esq TV skit where they badge things like 'engine', or 'seats', or whatever!

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've had some Mustangs, they're rather fun but then any convertible is better than any hardtop.

I bought one convertible, and it was great to drive around when the weather was perfect, and when you were tootling around in the neighborhood at 40mph. But I found it to be utterly useless most of the time, like when driving fast, driving in the rain, driving in the cold, trying to carry anything, or - in California - driving in the full sun at the height of summer! I think that was the only car I kept less than a year. Now, if I had the money and garage space, having a convertible as a second or third car, that would be fine!
Old Mar 24th 2022, 5:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Watching that YouTube video on the Capri, it's amazing how they 'badged' certain things that were considered 'advanced' at the time, like 'TC' or 'Twin Carbs', 'Disc Brakes', 'Fuel Injection', etc. I can see a Monty Python-esq TV skit where they badge things like 'engine', or 'seats', or whatever!

I bought one convertible, and it was great to drive around when the weather was perfect, and when you were tootling around in the neighborhood at 40mph. But I found it to be utterly useless most of the time, like when driving fast, driving in the rain, driving in the cold, trying to carry anything, or - in California - driving in the full sun at the height of summer! I think that was the only car I kept less than a year. Now, if I had the money and garage space, having a convertible as a second or third car, that would be fine!
I do have convertibles as my second and third cars. However, when I had one car, it was always a convertible. You can carry anything in a convertible; ladders, 10' boards, a generator, 7 small squares, there just isn't the space limitation one finds with hard tops.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 6:02 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

We are thoroughly enjoying "Our Flag Means Death". It's a little bit odd, but funny.
Old Mar 28th 2022, 8:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I'm taking a forced break from Netflix right now as my Wife is hogging the TV watching the new season of Bridgerton. She is most upset that her crush Regé-Jean Page is not in this season
Old Mar 29th 2022, 12:30 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

We've finished off QI, until a new series appears.
Watched another Harlan Coben adaptation, this time "Safe". Very similar to the other ones, in that characters make stupid decisions, but overall a rather good show
Also watched The Long Call, pretty good, same sort of vibes as Vera (as to be expected as same author).
Finished Coupling, again a classic and still holds up today.
We are currently watching Peacemaker, and it's very good. Not everyone's cup of tea I'll admit, but does generate a lot of laughs
Old Mar 29th 2022, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm taking a forced break from Netflix right now as my Wife is hogging the TV watching the new season of Bridgerton. She is most upset that her crush Regé-Jean Page is not in this season
My wife started watching that yesterday..cue for me to leave the room.
Old Mar 31st 2022, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
My wife started watching that yesterday..cue for me to leave the room.
It could be a lot worse.... she may want to watch the shatchelor........sorry I mean Bachelor... just do not understand why anyone would want watch that drivel.. what is wrong with people??!!
Old Mar 31st 2022, 10:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
It could be a lot worse.... she may want to watch the shatchelor........sorry I mean Bachelor... just do not understand why anyone would want watch that drivel.. what is wrong with people??!!

Once upon a time, I was driving from San Diego to Toronto with a woman and a supertoked cat laid out on the dashboard. "We have to stop" said the woman, I knew only slightly. "It's the finale of the Bachelorette". We went into a redneck bar in the middle of a flat State and she was able to persuade the bartender to switch one of the TVs from the game to the Bachelorette. The show was pleasingly tacky.
Old Mar 31st 2022, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Once upon a time, I was driving from San Diego to Toronto with a woman and a supertoked cat laid out on the dashboard. "We have to stop" said the woman, I knew only slightly. "It's the finale of the Bachelorette". We went into a redneck bar in the middle of a flat State and she was able to persuade the bartender to switch one of the TVs from the game to the Bachelorette. The show was pleasingly tacky.
She sounds just like the vacuous type that would watch such drivel.

Pleasingly tacky.... that gives genuinely "tacky" shows a bad rep!

I guess its a bit like cheesy music...there is good cheese and baaaaad cheese! I dont think the Shatchelorette would fit in anywhere.... its up there with Big Brother; loser TV at its finest...no good cheese to be had there.

Old Mar 31st 2022, 4:37 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Posts like this restore my faith in human nature.

Old Mar 31st 2022, 6:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the first time I caught a bit of Jerry Springer. I sat there, mouth agape, unable to take my eyes off it.

But these spoof versions were much more fun. Although there is a part of me that wonders how one can spoof Jerry Spriger

Old Apr 11th 2022, 12:37 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Watched "The Innocent", a spanish Halan Coben adaptation. Rather good. Characters still as foolish as the ones in the UK versions though.

We Also started "Slow Horses" on AppleTV+. Really enjoying it. Gary Oldman is superb.

The IT Crowd is still being viewed and does bring a laugh or two.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 1:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
We Also started "Slow Horses" on AppleTV+. Really enjoying it. Gary Oldman is superb.
Have that lined up.
Finished The Ipcress File which was highly enjoyable. On the scary "loose" version of War of the Worlds now. Nice to see bits of Bristol.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 2:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus

Saving that for next week when the family are away. Looks good & I liked Gary Oldman in the remake of Tinker Tailor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.