Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Mar 15th 2022, 2:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Its one the the great reasons about living in Canada, no one judges you as they just see you as British. Well Irish in my case.... no idea why, never even visited Ireland!.
Not Australian then like some of us.
Old Mar 15th 2022, 3:12 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

One of my favourite UK shows from the 80's

Old Mar 15th 2022, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In written form, sure.
Coming from you, I guess I should take that as compliment...

The perception of regional accents after all, is subjective to the individual.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not Australian then like some of us.
I had that once.... and obviously English... but majority of the time Irish... confuses the hell out of me!

Old Mar 15th 2022, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
One of my favourite UK shows from the 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3V0g_TyeHQ
Now that is a stupendously great TV series....I can watch over and over again, as its such a realistic potrayal of a bunch of guys working and having to live together 24/7

In fact its so realistic its more like a dramatised documentary, but with the timeless humour and comedy thrown in that only writers Dick Clement and Ian LaFrenais could produce. One of my all time favourite comedy dramas, the epitome of a classic,

I was 13 when that was first aired, and even then it drew me in.
Old Mar 15th 2022, 6:23 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is a stupendously great TV series....I can watch over and over again, as its such a realistic potrayal of a bunch of guys working and having to live together 24/7

In fact its so realistic its more like a dramatised documentary, but with the timeless humour and comedy thrown in that only writers Dick Clement and Ian LaFrenais could produce. One of my all time favourite comedy dramas, the epitome of a classic,

I was 13 when that was first aired, and even then it drew me in.
When I heard that theme tune again, it brought back vivid memories of me watching this with my Mum & Dad in the front room of our house in the UK

BTW - do the names Arthur Daley and Terry McCann mean anything to you?

Last edited by Danny B; Mar 15th 2022 at 6:27 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2022, 7:19 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

oooh, I could go for a large VAT right about now
Old Mar 15th 2022, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

When I heard that theme tune again, it brought back vivid memories of me watching this with my Mum & Dad in the front room of our house in the UK

Yes they do. Also remember Yosser, Loggo and Snowy.
Old Mar 15th 2022, 10:27 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

How about Bodie and Doyle?
Old Mar 15th 2022, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Its one the the great reasons about living in Canada, no one judges you as they just see you as British. Well Irish in my case.... no idea why, never even visited Ireland!.
A few years ago post oldtimers footie, I was chatting with 6 guys. Two scottish, one Northern Irish, and 3 english including me. My accent is the most muted as I came at age 17 but had lived in Canada and the USA prior to the permanent move. We were talking about Alan Partridge, as you do, and one of the other guys on the team walked over (a french canadian guy) and referred to as all 'english'. Well as you can 3 had no issue but 3 were quite insulted. To him, all 6 accents (the english accents were Cheshire, Norwich and Sarf London) were all the same and he couldn't tell them apart.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Of course.,,,.how could I not know....I wasn't into it as much as AW Pet. but again classic British comedy drama....my parents would watch it religiously (recorded on VCR after now came back from the pub on a Wednesday night) Happy simple days..... sigh....
Old Mar 16th 2022, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
How about Bodie and Doyle?

Superb TV show.... ahead of its time in some ways. Friday nights and then later on Sundays nights if I remember correctly...
Old Mar 16th 2022, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
A few years ago post oldtimers footie, I was chatting with 6 guys. Two scottish, one Northern Irish, and 3 english including me. My accent is the most muted as I came at age 17 but had lived in Canada and the USA prior to the permanent move. We were talking about Alan Partridge, as you do, and one of the other guys on the team walked over (a french canadian guy) and referred to as all 'english'. Well as you can 3 had no issue but 3 were quite insulted. To him, all 6 accents (the english accents were Cheshire, Norwich and Sarf London) were all the same and he couldn't tell them apart.
I can well believe it! and to us they are 6 very different sounding British regional accents... but to Canadians particulary French Canadians, and Americans too... everyone sounds "English" It kind of makes my point earlier in that here you are not judged by your regional or working class accent. As much of north America wouldn't be able to tell much difference between some one talking in a scouse accent or someone talking in RP (Received Pronunciation) as I mentioned judging a person by their accent is a bit of a snobbery thing. But here in Canada no one knows any different! Unless the person your talking to doesn't like British people... which has happened before.

On your note that the Scottish and Northern Irish friends being insulted by that guy calling them "English".... it only seems to work the one way.... I get apologies all the time when I get called Irish...I just say don't worry, it doesn't bother me. I joke and tell them, just say Britain or British in future, you wont insult anyone then....well maybe the Southern Irish but the odds are cut down somewhat. lol

Old Mar 16th 2022, 5:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Of course.,,,.how could I not know....I wasn't into it as much as AW Pet. but again classic British comedy drama....my parents would watch it religiously (recorded on VCR after now came back from the pub on a Wednesday night) Happy simple days..... sigh....
I went down a YT rabbit hole yesterday evening and spent a few hours reminiscing some 80's classic UK dramas / comedies. The video below is where I ended up when I finally turned off the PC.

Old Mar 16th 2022, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I went down a YT rabbit hole yesterday evening and spent a few hours reminiscing some 80's classic UK dramas / comedies. The video below is where I ended up when I finally turned off the PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVvysBbiJeY
My second car was a 2.0 litre S
Old Mar 17th 2022, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVvysBbiJeY
Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My second car was a 2.0 litre S
Yes....it is certainly an icon now, I am going to sound like my parents used to now.... but they don't make cars like they used to.... everyone seems obsessed with SUVs now.... like that abomination they now call the Mustang... an SUV and electric!! everything the Mustang is not!

I shall reminisce about Bodie and Doyle's Silver and Gold Capri's.... and if you want something more executive Cowley's MkII Granada... lol ahh happy days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.