Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Feb 21st 2022, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by sharkus
We have just reached Series 11 of Vera. For some reason Britbox is missing series 7, possibly due to Acorn having it? So when and if it pops up we'll watch it. Really enjoying the show
Started Coupling last night, I've not seen it for a while and L hasn't seen it at all, both enjoyed it.

Peaky Blinders Series 6 is apparently starting next sunday on BBC 1. No news of when it'll be on Netflix, but April might be possible. I may see what digital necromancy is required to view it here before then.
Making our way through Ashes to Ashes on Britbox. Great one liners from the Gene Genie and lots of musical memories and nostalgia for when the police could extract confessions from people so easily
Old Feb 21st 2022, 4:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

We have just reached Series 11 of Vera. For some reason Britbox is missing series 7, possibly due to Acorn having it? So when and if it pops up we'll watch it. Really enjoying the show
BritBox had Season 11 of Vera and I was disappointed. Didn't find the episodes interesting, or the subject matter. And I'm a big fan of Vera.
Old Feb 21st 2022, 6:29 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Making our way through Ashes to Ashes on Britbox. Great one liners from the Gene Genie and lots of musical memories and nostalgia for when the police could extract confessions from people so easily
We did Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes recently. Still as excellent as when it came out.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 12:51 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
BritBox had Season 11 of Vera and I was disappointed. Didn't find the episodes interesting, or the subject matter. And I'm a big fan of Vera.
I thought the same and don't bother with it now. Just too weak and wishy washy.

Old Feb 22nd 2022, 1:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Started Coupling last night, I've not seen it for a while and L hasn't seen it at all, both enjoyed it.

Peaky Blinders Series 6 is apparently starting next sunday on BBC 1. No news of when it'll be on Netflix, but April might be possible. I may see what digital necromancy is required to view it here before then.
Peaky Blinders was ok for a season but couldn't survive the conceit that one can express emotion and have a Birmingham accent. As the plots became more far fetched the constraints on the actors became impossible so the failed assassination of Mosley was greeted with the exact same lack of expression as the marriage of Ada and Freddie. Whatever's in the next season, it'll be delivered flatly.
Old Feb 27th 2022, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Joshhos is an unknown quantity at this point

peaky blinders!!
Old Feb 27th 2022, 10:31 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Peaky Blinders was ok for a season but couldn't survive the conceit that one can express emotion and have a Birmingham accent. As the plots became more far fetched the constraints on the actors became impossible so the failed assassination of Mosley was greeted with the exact same lack of expression as the marriage of Ada and Freddie. Whatever's in the next season, it'll be delivered flatly.
At it's heart, Peaky Blinders is really a treatise on the effects of PTSD. Tommy, Arthur and various of their gang suffering from the experiences in WW1. I am looking forward to the final season, although what I really want to see is the Peaky Blinders / Downton Abbey crossover ....
Old Feb 28th 2022, 5:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

We just watched the first three episodes of Cuckoo on Netflix. So far I'm really enjoying it, I haven't belly laughed like that in a while.

Old Mar 1st 2022, 12:30 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
We just watched the first three episodes of Cuckoo on Netflix. So far I'm really enjoying it, I haven't belly laughed like that in a while.
Much as I like Greg Davies, I did not enjoy Cuckoo, mainly due to the Dale / Cuckoo character. I suspect that's the whole point of the show though.

We've now finished of Vera, and continue to watch Coupling, and started The IT Show last night.
Also watched the first episode of Murderville on Netflix. It's "ok" with some amusement in places.
Old Mar 13th 2022, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Have just finished a very enjoyable couple of hours watching "Not the nine o clock news" and "Alas Smith and Jones". The wokies would have a field day ripping these shows to pieces today.
Old Mar 13th 2022, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Watching Traces on Britbox. Dundee really is a beehive of critters and n'er do wells.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 3:26 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Have just finished a very enjoyable couple of hours watching "Not the nine o clock news" and "Alas Smith and Jones". The wokies would have a field day ripping these shows to pieces today.
I feel his pain at the 4m 26s mark
Old Mar 14th 2022, 7:03 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Binged "Stay Close". It's ok, but we just felt the characters seemed to make some very silly decisions that I'd like to think most people would not.
We are a few episodes into "Crime".
I've got a couple of episodes of Star Trek: Discovery season 4 to watch, along with starting Star Trek: Picard season 2.
Watching a fair bit of QI as well
Old Mar 15th 2022, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A very generalised statement don't you think? I can express and articulate emotion and I have a Black Country accent... not the same a Brummie accent of course, considerably different, but some would say similar. That is one thing I have never been accused of..... not being able to be taken seriously or portray emotion because of my accent.

It is of course a British thing judging others on their regional dialects and accents, its built in snobbery. I think we all have it to an extent. My mom used to put on a telephone voice to answer business phone calls for my Dad's company for that exact reason. Very good at it she was too.

Its one the the great reasons about living in Canada, no one judges you as they just see you as British. Well Irish in my case.... no idea why, never even visited Ireland!.
Old Mar 15th 2022, 1:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
A very generalised statement don't you think? I can express and articulate emotion and I have a Black Country accent...
In written form, sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.