Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Nov 27th 2020, 7:47 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought HG was excellent in The Gentleman. A movie well worth watching...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

I re-watched it earlier in the week. Great movie, and I really do like HG's character, and some of the classic, and some would no doubt think very crude / offensive, lines he comes out with
Old Nov 27th 2020, 7:54 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Yeah, the undoing, really good show. I will look out for #6 when it shows up.

I'm almost too used to Netflix where all the episodes are released at the same time. Kind of miss having the weekly releases to be honest. Remember when Broadchurch came out in the UK? The whole country was on a knifes edge waiting for the final episode to reveal the killer.
I remember that! I was "acquiring" the episodes as soon as they "appeared" online shortly after broadcast. Given the time difference it meant that I could usually get home and they would be ready to watch. I think the really "Oh hell no!" moment for me was in series 2 when Hardy and Miller go to the Agriservices place...
Old Nov 30th 2020, 2:37 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

‘The 12th man’ on Netflix

Norwegian resistance fighter who is the only one out of 12 to survive attempting to get from Norway to Sweden whilst escaping the occupying Nazi.

it’s a bit gory in places (frost bite and gangrene being an issue) but the scenery is beautiful.

Old Nov 30th 2020, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
‘The 12th man’ on Netflix

Norwegian resistance fighter who is the only one out of 12 to survive attempting to get from Norway to Sweden whilst escaping the occupying Nazi.

it’s a bit gory in places (frost bite and gangrene being an issue) but the scenery is beautiful.
Please tell me it’s in English. I wish the streaming sites would state the language used.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:38 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched the 4th series of The Crown. Brilliant TV, I really liked it.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:42 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
(The Undoing, on HBO)

I was wrong above in my earlier post, there are 6 episodes, not 5. I'm watching it on HBO in the US, and they haven't yet released episode 6 (coming this sunday). I'm loving Donald Sutherland in this! I don't think I've ever seen Hugh Grant in a role like this, either; he's quite appropriate for the part.
Well, did you watch the ending of 'the undoing' last night? I did
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:43 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Same here, finished it yesterday. I thought Gillian Anderson as Maggie was deserving of an award, such brilliant acting.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Yeah, I really enjoyed it too! It was set around the time I left UK, so quite a bit of it is 'new' to me (I paid little attention to UK news once I left). Maggie does not fare well in the tale! I'm sure all the details of Charles, Di, and Camilla are known to most but I avoid all those shows that talk about it so even that part was fairly new to me. What a dysfunctional crew the royal family is!
Old Nov 30th 2020, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Well, did you watch the ending of 'the undoing' last night? I did
I did indeed! Brilliant series! I made a fatal mistake - I went reading about the show on Reddit (where people who pay incredible attention to detail on shows discuss the minute details) and one poster there accidentally revealed 'whodunnit' ... so I already knew the outcome, which sucked! Reddit is really good about moderation and the use of 'spoiler' tags, but this one guy mentioned how the book ended, which basically gave it away.
Spoiler:

Even though I'm putting this in spoiler tags, I'm still not going to reveal the answer, but ... for those that saw it already - were you surprised? they did a decent job of casting doubt around the place, but ultimately I don't think they could have realistically come to any other conclusion.

Ever since finishing 'Line of duty' and 'Narcos' back in March/April, I haven't found anything good to watch until this recent batch - Queens Gambit, Crown, and The Undoing. OK, I'll throw 'Norsemen' in there as that was a great laugh ... but I've been disappointed by most of what I've tried for the past several months (things like 'Umbrella Academy'). Really would like to find something of similar quality!

Last edited by Steerpike; Nov 30th 2020 at 4:59 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 5:24 pm
Tea Drinker

I did indeed! Brilliant series! I made a fatal mistake - I went reading about the show on Reddit (where people who pay incredible attention to detail on shows discuss the minute details) and one poster there accidentally revealed 'whodunnit' ... so I already knew the outcome, which sucked! Reddit is really good about moderation and the use of 'spoiler' tags, but this one guy mentioned how the book ended, which basically gave it away.
Spoiler:

Even though I'm putting this in spoiler tags, I'm still not going to reveal the answer, but ... for those that saw it already - were you surprised? they did a decent job of casting doubt around the place, but ultimately I don't think they could have realistically come to any other conclusion.

Ever since finishing 'Line of duty' and 'Narcos' back in March/April, I haven't found anything good to watch until this recent batch - Queens Gambit, Crown, and The Undoing. OK, I'll throw 'Norsemen' in there as that was a great laugh ... but I've been disappointed by most of what I've tried for the past several months (things like 'Umbrella Academy'). Really would like to find something of similar quality!
Have you watched Whitechapel? 18 episodes of pure BBC 'who done it' quality.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186356/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2

Old Nov 30th 2020, 5:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler:

Try Tehran...Apple TV. Only watched first 3 eps but so far it is excellent.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 5:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Please tell me it’s in English. I wish the streaming sites would state the language used.
I can't say for sure that it's always available but when you select something on Netflix to watch, if you click the menu button you get the opportunity to select English audio as an alternative to subtitles.

The 12th Man does have that as an option.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't say for sure that it's always available but when you select something on Netflix to watch, if you click the menu button you get the opportunity to select English audio as an alternative to subtitles.

The 12th Man does have that as an option.
I sometimes use that...especially for the captions if it is dubbed in English.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 6:52 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

I've just started to re-watch A Touch Of Frost on Britbox. Still holds up as a great show.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 7:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Same here, finished it yesterday. I thought Gillian Anderson as Maggie was deserving of an award, such brilliant acting.
Gillian Andersen, who is a very attractive woman, as Maggie.....who is not....provokes all sorts of cognitive dissonance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.