Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Nov 18th 2020, 9:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's in my list.

I see there's a second season of Undercover on Netflix. Can't remember a damn thing about how S1 ended.
Spoiler:

Bob and John got into a fight...fell into the water and John drowned. Ferry and his wife got arrested.

2nd series...a new storyline...but Ferry is out for revenge.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 18th 2020 at 9:35 pm. Reason: Spoiler tags
Old Nov 18th 2020, 10:31 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I'm totally gripped by 'The Undoing' on HBO. It's a typical high-end HBO production with big names (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland) and is produced by same folks who did 'Big Little Lies'. So far, everything is 'perfect' - the story, the acting, the 'mood'. Can't remember the last time I saw anything this good (maybe, 'Big Little Lies!). There's only 5 episodes and I'm already sad that I'm near the end!
Thanks for the tip, trailer looks good. I just downloaded the 1st four episodes.

BTW - stick with the queens gambit, it's really good.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 10:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Thanks for the tip, trailer looks good. I just downloaded the 1st four episodes.

BTW - stick with the queens gambit, it's really good.
I agree...Queens Gambit is good.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 9:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Spoiler:

Bob and John got into a fight...fell into the water and John drowned. Ferry and his wife got arrested.

2nd series...a new storyline...but Ferry is out for revenge.

Thanks, that rings a bell. I thought
Spoiler:
the baddie got stabbed

but I may be thinking of another season of something where
Spoiler:
someone got killed but survived and returned the following season.

Old Nov 19th 2020, 9:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Thanks, that rings a bell. I thought
Spoiler:
the baddie got stabbed

but I may be thinking of another season of something where
Spoiler:
someone got killed but survived and returned the following season.

Spoiler:
I think John got stabbed when he was fighting with Bob in the water. Bob got out of the water...John didn’t.

Old Nov 23rd 2020, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.shawdirect.ca/english/su...article/12745/

I saw this on the internet. As of December 31 2020, BBC Canada will go off the air. I can't say I'll miss it as I haven't watched it in years. Fifteen-twenty years ago I would watch the Office, Alan Partridge, the Royle Family and the like and sometimes documentaries. Now it's just old repeats, home makeover shows and very little of UK content.

Streaming and channels like Britbox and Acorn seem to have taken over.

We had a free prevew of Acorn for a month and liked it.

Anyone out there have Britbox or Acorn and if so which do you prefer and why?
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
https://www.shawdirect.ca/english/su...article/12745/

I saw this on the internet. As of December 31 2020, BBC Canada will go off the air. I can't say I'll miss it as I haven't watched it in years. Fifteen-twenty years ago I would watch the Office, Alan Partridge, the Royle Family and the like and sometimes documentaries. Now it's just old repeats, home makeover shows and very little of UK content.

Streaming and channels like Britbox and Acorn seem to have taken over.

We had a free prevew of Acorn for a month and liked it.

Anyone out there have Britbox or Acorn and if so which do you prefer and why?
We have a both those, plus Amazon, Dazn, Netflix...just about to subscribe to Apple.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 5:10 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I've had Britbox since April. The Apple TV app has improved somewhat since then, which was my main gripe about it. The content has always been pretty good. Spooks, Red Dwarf, Only Fools and Horses, A Play For Today (I highly recommend The Blackstuff, the original film that Boys from the Blackstuff came from), and QI. They add new content fairly frequently. For example The New Statesman seems to have popped up recently, and I shall have to give it another watch.

There is a free seven day trial, so I'd recommend giving it a try and see if you like the content
Old Nov 27th 2020, 4:07 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I'm totally gripped by 'The Undoing' on HBO. It's a typical high-end HBO production with big names (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland) and is produced by same folks who did 'Big Little Lies'. So far, everything is 'perfect' - the story, the acting, the 'mood'. Can't remember the last time I saw anything this good (maybe, 'Big Little Lies!). There's only 5 episodes and I'm already sad that I'm near the end!
We watched three episodes last night, it's sooo good. hope to finish the remaining two tonight. Reminds me of that movie 'Gone Girl'.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree...Queens Gambit is good.
Wow - just finished The Queen's Gambit last night! Absolutely amazing! Apparently, it's an unexpected big hit, and interest in chess playing has shot through the roof! It's quite amazing that a movie could make chess interesting! One of those rare shows where every episode was 'just right', and you couldn't wait for the next one.

Old Nov 27th 2020, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We watched three episodes last night, it's sooo good. hope to finish the remaining two tonight. Reminds me of that movie 'Gone Girl'.
I would like to see that. I hear another good series started on HBO last night, The Flight Attendant. I just may have to start subscribing to HBO.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

(The Undoing, on HBO)

I was wrong above in my earlier post, there are 6 episodes, not 5. I'm watching it on HBO in the US, and they haven't yet released episode 6 (coming this sunday). I'm loving Donald Sutherland in this! I don't think I've ever seen Hugh Grant in a role like this, either; he's quite appropriate for the part.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

(The Undoing, on HBO)

I was wrong above in my earlier post, there are 6 episodes, not 5. I'm watching it on HBO in the US, and they haven't yet released episode 6 (coming this sunday). I'm loving Donald Sutherland in this! I don't think I've ever seen Hugh Grant in a role like this, either; he's quite appropriate for the part.

I thought HG was excellent in The Gentleman. A movie well worth watching...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1
Old Nov 27th 2020, 6:54 pm
Tea Drinker

(The Undoing, on HBO)

Yeah, the undoing, really good show. I will look out for #6 when it shows up.

I'm almost too used to Netflix where all the episodes are released at the same time. Kind of miss having the weekly releases to be honest. Remember when Broadchurch came out in the UK? The whole country was on a knifes edge waiting for the final episode to reveal the killer.

Old Nov 27th 2020, 7:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah, the undoing, really good show. I will look out for #6 when it shows up.

I'm almost too used to Netflix where all the episodes are released at the same time. Kind of miss having the weekly releases to be honest. Remember when Broadchurch came out in the UK? The whole country was on a knifes edge waiting for the final episode to reveal the killer.
I always download UK TV series, then binge watch them when I have the whole series.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.