Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old Jun 10th 2020, 9:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Yeah, I've been anticipating a knock on the door " 'scuse me sir, but we have reason to believe that you 'ave some DVDs in stock, namely Till Death Us Do Part".

Then I read what Wikipedia had to say about it...
it was felt by some critics that many people watched it because they agreed with Alf Garnett's views

How about the other side of the coin, Mike's views. And that's apart from the silly idea that a show could be criticised because some agree with the views of a character, lead or not.

I wasn't sure how old I was when I was watching originally so I just checked episode details on wiki. There are episodes from 1966 I remember. My 9 year old self knew Alf was a figure of fun.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 12:42 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

How about the other side of the coin, Mike's views. And that's apart from the silly idea that a show could be criticised because some agree with the views of a character, lead or not.

I wasn't sure how old I was when I was watching originally so I just checked episode details on wiki. There are episodes from 1966 I remember.
My 9 year old self knew Alf was a figure of fun.
Likewise.

As a 9 year old growing up in leafy Bucks I hadn't witnessed racism, but couldn't figure out why my dad didn't really like this series. Mum thought it very funny, but she was from The East End whereas Dad was from a small village south of Edinburgh.

As a kid, I thought Alf the West Ham supporter was a hoot, and the generational differences within the same household also struck a chord; my brother and his wife had lived at ours for a few months beforehand whilst their plans to move on took shape, and I remember there being some 'tension' during that period.

I bought the DVD set (B & W) quite a long while ago, and I'm not convinced that I actually watched all of the episodes, maybe it's time to revisit.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Likewise.

As a 9 year old growing up in leafy Bucks I hadn't witnessed racism, but couldn't figure out why my dad didn't really like this series. Mum thought it very funny, but she was from The East End whereas Dad was from a small village south of Edinburgh.

As a kid, I thought Alf the West Ham supporter was a hoot, and the generational differences within the same household also struck a chord; my brother and his wife had lived at ours for a few months beforehand whilst their plans to move on took shape, and I remember there being some 'tension' during that period.

I bought the DVD set (B & W) quite a long while ago, and I'm not convinced that I actually watched all of the episodes, maybe it's time to revisit.
I was 8 in '66 and was living in a very depressed 'Northern' town. I don't think we'd seen much immigration at that time, though. I still remember we had one 'black' (African) kid in our school, and we all wanted to be his friend because he was so different, and used to bug him to have him show us the palms of his hands (bright pink, compared to his very dark skin elsewhere!). We used to want to touch his hair, too! I believe we had one or two 'Asians' at that time also (Indians, I think) - also a curiosity more than anything.

I remember Alf Garnet on TV also; he certainly struck a chord with a number of people, but looking back (I also bought the DVD set in recent years, for nostalgia purposes) he seemed to be completely at odds with his wife, daughter, and son-in-law, who made solid arguments against him. So I think the show was not only very funny, but also ultimately a 'good' message in that all his ridiculous beliefs were shot down in flames and he was portrayed as an out-of-touch, old-fashioned, small-minded idiot. I think it's a shame that such a show could not exist today.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 10:08 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Season three of Dark will be released on June 27th on Netflix. The trailer is out now. It looks just as confusing as the prior seasons, perfect!
Old Jun 12th 2020, 11:12 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

When someone mentions Alf Garnett, I automatically think of this:

Old Jun 27th 2020, 1:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

100 Code. Swedish but due to an American character (who turns out to be a Brit actor) most of the dialogue is around 90% English.
Gets much better after a couple of episodes.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Watching super show called "Halt and Catch Fire" on Netflix. It's about the early days of computing and gaming.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Watching super show called "Halt and Catch Fire" on Netflix. It's about the early days of computing and gaming.
I watched that about three or four years ago....good character development...
Old Jun 30th 2020, 10:21 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

'Contest: A story of Fire Saga' on Netflix. A sheer delight for anyone who sees the pure fun of the Eurovision Song Contest. A gentle poke at stereotypical European generalizations and it made me laugh out loud. Spot the actors you know...especially if you like a Scandi.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

looks interesting, I’ve added it to my list. Thank you.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:24 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a big fan of that series - watched if a few years ago. Made me quite nostalgic for the early days of home computing!
Old Jun 30th 2020, 12:20 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Now that Netflix has released a bunch of the Studio Ghibli animation movies, I’ve been watching some of them. I think about 20 of the movies got released

Some of them are good to watch if you have had a bad day. Really loved ‘Howls Moving Castle‘
Old Jun 30th 2020, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Now that Netflix has released a bunch of the Studio Ghibli animation movies, I’ve been watching some of them. I think about 20 of the movies got released

Some of them are good to watch if you have had a bad day. Really loved ‘Howls Moving Castle‘
child 2 (19) is a big fan. Also loves Violet Evergarden.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 6:01 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Son and I are big fans of My Neighbor Totoro. I also want to re-watch Laputa: Castle In The Sky, as I only saw it in part, and that was a very long time ago. My son says Ponyo is pretty good.

Binged the final cycle of Dark over the weekend. Certainly hurt my head working out which time and world you were in, but the ending did present a "oh, that explains it (a bit)". Very good show, and I will re-watch all three seasons / cycles at some point.

Working our way through MI-5 / Spooks, about to start series 6 as BritBox added 6 through 10 within the last month. Also watching Midsomer Murders on Britbox too. We're near the end of series 17, still a few series' to go I think
Old Jun 30th 2020, 10:59 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by sharkus
Son and I are big fans of My Neighbor Totoro. I also want to re-watch Laputa: Castle In The Sky, as I only saw it in part, and that was a very long time ago. My son says Ponyo is pretty good.
I love ‘My Neighbour Totoro’. I have plushy catbus brought back by a friend who visited Japan. There are so many I haven’t seen though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.