Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old May 19th 2020, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
This is a bit niche, but as a family we are watching the crime drama "Hudson & Rex" - available on Global TV. It's an entirely unprepossessing remake of an Austrian series about a detective (Hudson) and his canine partner (Rex) but its entertaining enough stuff. The niche bit is that its filmed in St John's but unlike the other detective series filmed here - Republic of Doyle, which is very much a Newfoundland series - it is set here but doesn't reflect the place at all. It could be any city. It is amusing to watch a version of St John's that is rather more ethnically diverse than the place really is but as I say the programme is easily consumed and not very dark (if you get away from the fact that it appears that someone is murdered every week) dark crime fiction.
Wow - you are in (or near) St John's, Newfoundland? That name triggered a memory. Back in the day (2003), I had to travel to someplace remote in 'that part of Canada' (loosely!) for work - we were making a pitch to the potato processor in the area - apparently some small town that produces some vast percentage of potatoes for the whole of North America (McCain foods). So I just looked up 'St John' in google maps, and see there is one in Newfoundland (actually 'St John's') and one in Nova Scotia (St John). I flew in to Portland, Maine, and drove across the border into Canada. Looking back through my obscure notes, and looking at a google map of the area, it would seem that I went to 'Florenceville-Bristol' in New Brunswick. Does that sound right? I think we spent the night in Fredricton. Happy memories!
Old May 19th 2020, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Wow - you are in (or near) St John's, Newfoundland? That name triggered a memory. Back in the day (2003), I had to travel to someplace remote in 'that part of Canada' (loosely!) for work - we were making a pitch to the potato processor in the area - apparently some small town that produces some vast percentage of potatoes for the whole of North America (McCain foods). So I just looked up 'St John' in google maps, and see there is one in Newfoundland (actually 'St John's') and one in Nova Scotia (St John). I flew in to Portland, Maine, and drove across the border into Canada. Looking back through my obscure notes, and looking at a google map of the area, it would seem that I went to 'Florenceville-Bristol' in New Brunswick. Does that sound right? I think we spent the night in Fredricton. Happy memories!
Florenceville is where the McCain family business is headquartered..likely within 20 minutes of the US border.
Old May 19th 2020, 10:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Tiger King was finished, umm, yeah. Very odd indeed.

We finished off season 3 of Bordertown the other day. Still a great show, really interested to see if there will be a season 4.

Needed more scando / nordic type stuff, so we binged Borderliner. Just like the other similar stuff, beautiful scenery, populated with some interesting humans.

Went back to MI-5 and finished off series 2. Some laughter with 8 out of 10 cats, then back to Sherlock series 3. Yes, we are all over the place!
You might like this show, make sure you watch the Danish / Swedish version and not the crappy USA remake. It was called 'The Killing' in the US.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0826760/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Old May 20th 2020, 1:36 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Nearby yes. However you are thinking of Saint John NB. Different place, different province. NB (& PEI) are where the spuds are. True story though, some years ago a colleague from our Singapore office came to visit our our St John's office. That involved a flight via HKG and Toronto before getting to St John's. (or not). She was in a cab and asked to be taken to a particular hotel when the cab driver said, "no hotel of that name here". Turns out she'd traveled to Saint John not St John's. Oopps.
Old May 20th 2020, 6:15 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Nearby yes. However you are thinking of Saint John NB. Different place, different province. NB (& PEI) are where the spuds are. True story though, some years ago a colleague from our Singapore office came to visit our our St John's office. That involved a flight via HKG and Toronto before getting to St John's. (or not). She was in a cab and asked to be taken to a particular hotel when the cab driver said, "no hotel of that name here". Turns out she'd traveled to Saint John not St John's. Oopps.
I had terrible problems with that when I first arrived here. My husband regularly works in St. John’s, but Saint John is not far from me and comes into daily conversation - if you take the size of Canada as a whole, these places are pretty close to one another, bloody confusing!

I am just at the end of Bordertown series 3 and have enjoyed it...his daughter has been an unlikable young woman through the whole series. I’d really like another series of Shetland. Tonight l’m going to try Quicksand- I read good things about it. My son has been sucked into the world of Peaky Blinders and seems to be hooked.
Old May 20th 2020, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I’d really like another series of Shetland. Tonight l’m going to try Quicksand- I read good things about it. My son has been sucked into the world of Peaky Blinders and seems to be hooked.
Love Shetland. My sons tell me I would hate Peaky Blinders (too violent). Locke and Key was recommended on this thread or another one and the 80% of the family who were here at the time loved it so I would also like another series of that.

also dci banks.
Old May 21st 2020, 9:53 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Love Shetland. My sons tell me I would hate Peaky Blinders (too violent). Locke and Key was recommended on this thread or another one and the 80% of the family who were here at the time loved it so I would also like another series of that.

also dci banks.
I am with you on all of those. Bristol got me going on Peaky Blinders, but I had to start hiding behind the cushion. I can see why my boy might like it though, regrettably.

Has anyone mentioned White Lines? If not, I am, it's good. Funny, well acted with tons of solid British character actors, a sharp script. Set in modern day Ibiza, looking back to events 20 years ago. 10 parts, I've done two, which were enjoyable and promising. Worth a look.
Old May 21st 2020, 10:37 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched series 1 of Brassic. Absolutely brilliant! Series 2 is on TV here at the moment.
Old May 21st 2020, 11:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am with you on all of those. Bristol got me going on Peaky Blinders, but I had to start hiding behind the cushion. I can see why my boy might like it though, regrettably.

Has anyone mentioned White Lines? If not, I am, it's good. Funny, well acted with tons of solid British character actors, a sharp script. Set in modern day Ibiza, looking back to events 20 years ago. 10 parts, I've done two, which were enjoyable and promising. Worth a look.
watched 1 1/2 eps of White Lines...thought it was crap. Sorry.

Love Peaky Blinders...Gangs of London even better.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 21st 2020 at 1:31 pm.
Old May 21st 2020, 1:20 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
You might like this show, make sure you watch the Danish / Swedish version and not the crappy USA remake. It was called 'The Killing' in the US.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0826760/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Thanks, will try and check it out. Spooky thing is, we just watched the episode of Sherlock with one of the cast from that!
Old May 21st 2020, 1:26 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I had terrible problems with that when I first arrived here. My husband regularly works in St. John’s, but Saint John is not far from me and comes into daily conversation - if you take the size of Canada as a whole, these places are pretty close to one another, bloody confusing!

I am just at the end of Bordertown series 3 and have enjoyed it...his daughter has been an unlikable young woman through the whole series. I’d really like another series of Shetland. Tonight l’m going to try Quicksand- I read good things about it. My son has been sucked into the world of Peaky Blinders and seems to be hooked.
I agree with you about Janina. Sure, she's gone through some tough times, but still. Another agreement for Shetland too. We don't have the latest series on Netflix or BritBox I already binged through Peaky Blinders, which I did enjoy, a bit violent, but then consider the subject matter.
We're one episode away from finishing off Sherlock.

I'm also starting to work my way through Babylon 5. It's still as good as I remember it back in the mid-90's.
Old May 21st 2020, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

haven’t heard of that, I’ll have a look. Thanks
Old May 21st 2020, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

We're watching Mayday on Acorn and recently watched Code of a Killer and Loch Ness on Acorn TV.
Old May 21st 2020, 4:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
We're watching Mayday on Acorn and recently watched Code of a Killer and Loch Ness on Acorn TV.
what was your opinion please? Any recommendations gratefully received.
Old May 21st 2020, 4:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One from the not too distant past, a splendid British comedy thriller series of 6 episodes with an excellent cast of well known faces even if you can't put names to them. It's great fun and not to be confused with other shows and movies of the same name.

Underworld
William Smith, a middle-class school teacher from a suburb in London, returns home one day to find his wife Gilda has run off with her boyfriend and taken all his possessions with her. With the help of his sister, Susan, they begin a search for Gilda, and are drawn into the British crime world and become caught in the cross-fire of two crime lords who have been fighting each other all their lives: the kind-natured Teddy Middlemass, and the sadistic Mr. Jezzard
The late Mike Reid (comedian & Eastenders) has a role as a cab driver/hitman.

It's on Channel 4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.