Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Old May 7th 2020, 5:54 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
There was a conversation about that show late late last year (I think) You have to check which season you watch first (They are labelled differently on Netflix) because I watched the third series not realizing there is season 1+2.
I thought I had missed out on a bunch of character development, I realized my mistake 4 episodes in. Season 1 & 2 were shown on Channel 4 in 2011 & 2013 according to IMDB. Then Netflix brought it back to life in 2020 with the help of Drake.
Old May 7th 2020, 10:21 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked Top Boy...very London. Lots of places I recognize. My son loves that sort of sound...as do the music videos...so he's been practicing saying "Shut up" like he's English which is funny...
Old May 7th 2020, 10:26 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm watching 'Top Boy' on Netflix right now. This is the 1st time I can remember ever having to turn on subtitles for a British show. So much London slang mixed with Jamaican Patois. It's a good show though.
I went to a London secondary school, we got to understand it. I can swear horribly well in Jamaican!
Old May 8th 2020, 12:56 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I went to a London secondary school, we got to understand it. I can swear horribly well in Jamaican!
Took me a while to figure out that the word 'food' meant drugs.

"We don't got no food cuz"
Old May 8th 2020, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked Top Boy...very London. Lots of places I recognize. My son loves that sort of sound...as do the music videos...so he's been practicing saying "Shut up" like he's English which is funny...
My son (19 never lived in the UK) loved it as well. I asked him about it without watching it and he said it took place 'in those apartment projects you usually see from a train, where people open their front door and they are partially outside and the stairwells are sketchy and smell of piss'. I knew exactly what he meant. The kind of place like where Luther lives.

I hate the music that is played in it if my son likes it.

In terms of UK TV he and I converge on Alan Partridge, The office, gavin and Stacey.

If I can watch El Chapo, Narcos and various Spanish and Italian crime and drugs shows, I guess I could give Top Boy a try.
Old May 8th 2020, 7:36 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
If I can watch El Chapo, Narcos and various Spanish and Italian crime and drugs shows, I guess I could give Top Boy a try.
I loved Gavin and Stacey- I’ve gone more Scandi murder than Spanish and Italian though. I too hate the music it is so violent, rude and misogynistic...but maybe that’s the point? We live in interesting times...
Old May 9th 2020, 3:06 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Waco last week about the siege in 1993.

Seems like there was a lot of controversy about what went down. I was only 9 at the time so wouldn’t have heard about it then.

Old May 9th 2020, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I watched Waco last week about the siege in 1993.

Seems like there was a lot of controversy about what went down. I was only 9 at the time so wouldn’t have heard about it then.
I was already in the US when it happened, and as far as I'm concerned, they were a bunch of idiots who got what they deserved. But I plan to watch the Netflix show to see if I can learn more.
Old May 9th 2020, 10:37 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I was already in the US when it happened, and as far as I'm concerned, they were a bunch of idiots who got what they deserved. But I plan to watch the Netflix show to see if I can learn more.
I found it sad...completely not needed. These people were naive and might have been better if helped...they surely didn’t need to die so horribly.
Old May 9th 2020, 10:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Being gullible or even an idiot doesn't mean you deserve to die
Old May 10th 2020, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I found it sad...completely not needed. These people were naive and might have been better if helped...they surely didn’t need to die so horribly.
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Being gullible or even an idiot doesn't mean you deserve to die
I followed the incident quite closely at the time, but haven't even given it a thought in the past 20+ years, so can't exactly speak with authority at this point, but ... they could have surrendered and left the building, as I recall. Plenty of opportunities for them to do so. At some point, there was concern for the children inside (memories of Jonestown were fresher in peoples minds back then ... Google Jonestown mass suicide or read this: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ssacre-121974/ if you don't know about it) and it was felt necessary to 'go in'. Maybe I'll change my mind after watching the dramatization, but my recollection now is that they had plenty of opportunities for a better outcome.

ETA - had a good read of the Rolling Stone article about Jonestown ... "Jones commanded his followers to drink cyanide-laced punch, starting with the children first. In all, there were over 900 who died in Jonestown". Avoiding a repeat of such events was partly what motivated the government to not simply 'wait it out' at Waco. The parallels between Jonestown and Waco were real.

Last edited by Steerpike; May 10th 2020 at 5:49 am.
Old May 10th 2020, 4:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I followed the incident quite closely at the time, but haven't even given it a thought in the past 20+ years, so can't exactly speak with authority at this point, but ... they could have surrendered and left the building, as I recall. Plenty of opportunities for them to do so. At some point, there was concern for the children inside (memories of Jonestown were fresher in peoples minds back then ... Google Jonestown mass suicide or read this: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ssacre-121974/ if you don't know about it) and it was felt necessary to 'go in'. Maybe I'll change my mind after watching the dramatization, but my recollection now is that they had plenty of opportunities for a better outcome.
Absolutely they had plenty of chances for a much better outcome. Koresh was a twisted, evil bastard and I don't care that he died, but 25 dead children is horrific. Bloody brainwashing cults
Old May 11th 2020, 3:44 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Bordertoen season 3 just arrived on Netflix Canada. I know what I'll be watching later today.
Old May 11th 2020, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Bordertoen season 3 just arrived on Netflix Canada. I know what I'll be watching later today.
Brilliant! Thanks.

Just in time to replace Fauda and Ozark. I watched Warrior with the guy who was in the Dicte series and Springfloden, but it was really only of 'make do' standard.
Old May 11th 2020, 5:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Season 2 of 'Dead to Me' came out on Netflix last week. So far so good, seems to be as good as the 1st season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.